ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Boundary distance and cancelations  (Read 4557 times)

scott foster

Boundary distance and cancelations
« on: March 13, 2007, 06:49:55 PM »

When trying to avoid the worst cancelations in a room related to various placements of subs - where on the sub does one measure from to determine your distance from the boundary?  Specifically with ported, dual 18's.  Is it just the mid point between the 2 speakers?  Or the mid point between the speakers and ports?  Or the outside edge of the nearest speaker to the boundary?  I can't seem to find this info anywhere.

Dave Rickard

Re: Boundary distance and cancelations
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 09:23:37 PM »

I measure from the driver.  Some people point them into a wall, if the xover point is low enough and delays can be matched.

I also try to place subs so that inches are irrelevant.
Dave
Yorkville dealer

"The wrong piece of gear, at the right price, is still the wrong piece of gear."

"If you don't have good stuff at each end of the signal chain, (mics and speakers) what you use in between is just turd polish."--Dave Dermont

Mac Kerr

• SR Forums
Re: Boundary distance and cancellations
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007, 09:39:34 PM »

Since cancellations starts when you pass 90deg out phase, and doesn't peak till 180deg, cancellation will happen over a range of between 1/4 and 3/4 of a wavelength. The wavelength of a 100Hz acoustic sound wave is about 11 feet, and 80Hz is about 14 feet, for half waves of 5.5 feet and 7 feet, lower frequencies are longer. The dimension of the subs is pretty small compared to the lengths you are dealing with.

Mac

scott foster

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 11:12:38 AM »

Thank you for replies.  Anyone know of a simple freeware program to model room modes/cancellations vs sub placements?

Dave Rickard

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2007, 04:23:38 PM »

This will get you started, but it's not software.  Meyer has MAPPonline, but I don't remember if it models boundaries.
Dave
Yorkville dealer

"The wrong piece of gear, at the right price, is still the wrong piece of gear."

"If you don't have good stuff at each end of the signal chain, (mics and speakers) what you use in between is just turd polish."--Dave Dermont

Dave Rickard

Re: Boundary distance and cancellations
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2007, 04:25:05 PM »

Mac Kerr wrote on Tue, 13 March 2007 19:39

Since cancellations starts when you pass 90deg out phase, and doesn't peak till 180deg, cancellation will happen over a range of between 1/4 and 3/4 of a wavelength.

I never thought about it not being so black and white, but it makes sense.  Thanks for todays lesson, Mac!
Dave
Yorkville dealer

Tim Padrick

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2007, 12:39:13 AM »

This chart may save your calculator finger some grief: http://www.padrick.net/LiveSound/CancellationMode.htm

Mike Pyle

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2007, 03:45:46 PM »

Tim,

Would the sub-to-sub cancellation distance at a given frequency equal twice the boundary cancellation distance?
Mike Pyle
Audiopyle Sound
707-315-6204
Dealer: Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, KV2, FBT, EAW, Danley, SLS, Turbosound, dBTech
 APB,A&H,Audix,Shure,Powersoft,RoadReady,K&M,Ultimate ,Global Truss,DENON,Chauvet,Elation...

Tim Padrick

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2007, 05:35:10 AM »

On that I have no idea.  I don't think the Power Alley article gets that in depth.  Plus indoors you have so many reflections that computation would be exceedingly complex I think.  
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 21 queries.