ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Setting up DSP for Speakers/New specs for the EAW KF300z  (Read 4352 times)

Mario Salazar

Setting up DSP for Speakers/New specs for the EAW KF300z
« on: March 01, 2007, 08:55:44 PM »

Hey Guys!
I have some KF300zs and SB250s and am going to process them with a 260.  Here are some questions to you DSP users.  In the dbx 260 I have two EQs and a crossover (among other things).  One set of PEQs come after the crossover and another eq (PEQ or GEQ) before the crossover.  I assume that the crossover and the PEQs after them are meant to correct any imbalance in the speaker itself, i.e. if the HF has +3db more sensitivity than the MF then you drop the HF 3db in the crossover and if the speakers have a little bump at 5k you use the PEQ after the crossover to balance it out with a dip at 5k.  
I assume(Gulp!)that the equalizer before the crossover is to balance the system to your ears and to the environment (because of the Fletcher Munson curve, your overall taste and/or any interaction with boundaries).  Am I correct in this assumption?  Is the first eq for tuning the system to your ears and environment and the crossover and latter eq made to balance any inequalities inherent in the speaker system itself.  Let me know.  

I also have a rather long email concerning sensitivity and powering the KF300zs which I can post here or on a new topic (you tell me where if you want me to post it) which includes new specs for the KF300zs.  According to Chuck at EAW the specs listed on the site are off and the sensitivity of the HF is 104dB and the LF/MF is 98dB.  These are new measurements garnered from retesting the speakers for use with a new processor they are about to put out. Supposedly they got it wrong the first time. Just an FYI.

Any comments, criticisms, or suggestions are welcomed and, as always, greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Mario

Miguel Castro Rios

Re: Setting up DSP for Speakers/New specs for the EAW KF300z
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 02:46:10 AM »

I'm not sure I understood your question.

Thu, 01 March 2007 20:55  
Mario Salazar  

Quote:

Am I correct in this assumption?

If that was your question, yes you are correct.

Use the cross over so that it sounds well balanced, anything specific as far as the EQ. you can do with the parametric, and for the general stuff you can use the graphic. Now this is not a must, how ever you please man, just make it sound good and don't blow up anything.

I see that you are worried about the sensitivity because one sub is 6 db less then your top boxes. Well that's gonna happen most of the time. It depends what kind of music you are playing, If you are using this for AV stuff, then you don't have much to worry about, your fine cuz you don't need a lot of low freq.

If you are playing music, get a few more subs.
If you are playing LIVE music, that's another story;
* * how big is the venue
* * what kind of music?
* * How loud do you want to get?
* * Is this the right gear for the job?

Tom Young

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2007, 02:50:22 PM »

"I assume that the crossover and the PEQs after them are meant to correct any imbalance in the speaker itself, i.e. if the HF has +3db more sensitivity than the MF then you drop the HF 3db in the crossover and if the speakers have a little bump at 5k you use the PEQ after the crossover to balance it out with a dip at 5k."

This is correct.

"I assume(Gulp!)that the equalizer before the crossover is to balance the system to your ears and to the environment (because of the Fletcher Munson curve, your overall taste and/or any interaction with boundaries). Am I correct in this assumption? Is the first eq for tuning the system to your ears and environment and the crossover and latter eq made to balance any inequalities inherent in the speaker system itself."

I agree, sort of.

Also consider that as you add the loudspeakers together they will combine at LF's and perhaps at MF's, depending on how you have them clustered and arrayed. So the pre-crossover EQ should  be used to reduce that build up as well as those you mentioned.

You will accomplish more accurate corrections if you measure as you equalize. Of course you also should listen.
Tom Young
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
Tel: 203.888.6217
Email: dbspl@earthlink.net
www.dbspl.com

Mario Salazar

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2007, 10:45:30 PM »

miguel castro wrote on Fri, 02 March 2007 07:46

I'm not sure I understood your question.

Thu, 01 March 2007 20:55  
Mario Salazar  

Quote:

Am I correct in this assumption?

If that was your question, yes you are correct.

Use the cross over so that it sounds well balanced, anything specific as far as the EQ. you can do with the parametric, and for the general stuff you can use the graphic. Now this is not a must, how ever you please man, just make it sound good and don't blow up anything.Easier said than done:-)

I see that you are worried about the sensitivity because one sub is 6 db less then your top boxes.  Actually the sub has 6db more output, and I have two, but since I also have two KF300zs it only amounts to 6 db. Well that's gonna happen most of the time. It depends what kind of music you are playing, If you are using this for AV stuff, then you don't have much to worry about, your fine cuz you don't need a lot of low freq.

If you are playing music, get a few more subs.You bet, I think I will get two more as soon as I get because the KF300s seem to overpower the subs (SB250s) especially in an open air venue.  I think I am going to get some SB528s
If you are playing LIVE music, that's another story;
* * how big is the venue ---about 1/4 acre (75' X 150')
* * what kind of music?---Rock, Jazz
* * How loud do you want to get?----I want the back to bet about 80dbSPL
* * Is this the right gear for the job?---Hopefully

Thanks for your input guys!
Best Regards,
Mario
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.017 seconds with 21 queries.