ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: MTL2 Wiring  (Read 18101 times)

Rick Jones

MTL2 Wiring
« on: February 26, 2007, 06:57:13 PM »

Hey guys,

How are the speakers in an MTL2 wired? Do both speakers move in to the cabinet at the same time or does one move out while the other moves in? I'm trying to figure out how the polarity of the speakers is wired. Sorry for the dumb question. <G>

Rick Jones

Rick Jones

Phil LaDue

Re: MTL2 Wiring
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 08:02:34 PM »

Rick Jones wrote on Mon, 26 February 2007 18:57

How are the speakers in an MTL2 wired? Do both speakers move in to the cabinet at the same time or does one move out while the other moves in? I'm trying to figure out how the polarity of the speakers is wired. Sorry for the dumb question.

The EDS is available here:
http://archives.telex.com/archives/EV/Speakers/EDS/

Mike Butler (media)

• http://www.mikebutlermedia.com
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 11:20:22 AM »

The spec sheet says it is two separate 8-ohm loads (using all 4 pins of a Speakon). Since it doesn't say anything about needing to wire one in reverse polarity to the other, I would go with the default mode (but you can try experimentally flipping one to see what happens--probably a good amount of cancellation).
<a href="http://www.mikebutlermedia.com" target="_blank">http://www.mikebutlermedia.com</a>

Mike Butler Media * AV/video production * corporate event production * presentation services * marketing support * creative research * graphic design * photography

Mac Kerr

• SR Forums
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 12:03:51 PM »

Since it is 2 identically mounted drivers, they need to operate identically. A positive voltage on the +pin of each pair in the NL4 should make the speaker cone move out from the box.

Mac

sheldon harris

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2007, 11:10:39 AM »

use speakon 4 pin connectors.

connect pin 1 positive to the top woofer negative and pin 1 negative to the top speaker positive.

then, follow that same order for woofer two and pins 1 and 2.

to make sure that you have done it correctly, do a phase check with a 9 volt battery.  positive end of battery on on any one of the positive pins will result in the woofer travelling toward the magnet or negative pressure. which for the mtl2 is really positive since the drivers are reversed.

same rule applies to deltamax,mtl4 and other ev manifold type boxes.       i met a few that was reversed from the speakon connector, so that is also an option, in case someone other that yourself is servicing the boxes. (people tend to do the old red in positive/negative in black number when servicing boxes without actually checking the phase sometimes)

good luck

sheldon
The things we would do in the quest to attain the highest Levels of Sound! the Pressure that is!

Hal Mahan

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2007, 03:42:45 PM »

I must respectfully disagree, both pin 1 & 2 positives go to the positives on the woofers, at least on the ones I have.

http://archives.telex.com/archives/EV/Speakers/EDS/MTL-2B%20 EDS.pdf

Hal

Phil LaDue

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2007, 06:01:08 PM »

Hal Mahan wrote on Tue, 06 March 2007 15:42

I must respectfully disagree, both pin 1 & 2 positives go to the positives on the woofers, at least on the ones I have.

http://archives.telex.com/archives/EV/Speakers/EDS/MTL-2B%20 EDS.pdf

Hal

There are eight models with the MTL prefix.

Edit: actually eight models

Hal Mahan

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2007, 06:36:26 PM »

I will repectfully disagree with you, as well. There are 8 models with the MTL prefix, 4 of which refer to the MTL2, & all show pin 1 & 2 positive to positive on the woofer.

I gotta wonder what the MTL2BT sounded like, never had the chance to experience one for myself,,,,,

Hal

sheldon harris

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2007, 10:14:31 PM »

Hal Mahan wrote on Tue, 06 March 2007 19:36

I will repectfully disagree with you, as well. There are 8 models with the MTL prefix, 4 of which refer to the MTL2, & all show pin 1 & 2 positive to positive on the woofer.

I gotta wonder what the MTL2BT sounded like, never had the chance to experience one for myself,,,,,

Hal

hello Hal,
i am going to respectfully challenge you.
if you notice i posted after the pdf was given by Phil.

information that i could have directed him to also.

obviously, i still answered for a very valid reason:one that has caught many sound-guys. being, the correct wiring for these boxes. (some of yorkville systems has the same issues as well you have to use the entire system and the procesor or its going to be out of phase)

the wiring is correct on the pdf file,but only for the "MT SYSTEM"
if the gentleman is using MTL2s along with other subs,top boxes and processor other than what comprise the "MT SYSTEM" it would be incorrect to wire the boxes how the factory indicated on the pdf file

i have to admit, that i was a little presumptuous when i gave my answer to the "MTL mystery wiring."

no one ever uses the entire mtl system, subs,top cabs and processors.
i should have asked him a few questions first. i assumned he did not have the entire system and had MTL2 boxes that he wanted to use with other tops and processor.(like most people are doing recently)

i gave him the wiring that would make his subs compatible with all other cabinets, positive voltage applied to positive speaker terminal results in speaker moving out or away from the box:

as quoted by mac "Since it is 2 identically mounted drivers, they need to operate identically. A positive voltage on the +pin of each pair in the NL4 should make the speaker cone move out from the box.
Mac

the only problem with that, the MTL has the drivers reverse-mounted in a bandpass manifold, so the woofers move into the box.in other words the phase will be reversed.

in order for his boxes to be compatible with the existing convention of wiring for sub-woofers in terms of phase,he would have to wire his boxes exactly like i said. if he wants them to be compatible to the "MT SYSTEM" or other existing MTL boxes used with the MTH tops and processor, then he would wire it exactly like the pdf file says.

you mention the MTL2BT, they sound similar to the MTL2B but better than the MTL2A.

to shed some light on all what i just said about the wiring, i am going to use the speaker you mentioned as an example: find the pdf file and check the wiring:
its going to be exactly opposite to what the MTL2A/B is! which is essential how i told the gentleman to wire his boxes.

the reason why its opposite, because EV had to bring it back in phase with the other "MT LINE", which have their magnets out. this MTL2BT as you will see from the pdf file has its magnet in the box like a conventionally mounted speaker. thats why its wired the way it is "OUT of phase".("IN" if referenced to other "MT SYSTEMS"

i hope this explanation shed some light on the misconception of wiring an ELECTROVOICE MT SYSTEM SUBWOOFER.

if I'm wrong, then i have been wrong for years and only doing what worked for me, sounded good to me and got the job done.
sheldon.

"i am hoping that we we all strive to give credible information around here: i would never knowingly tell someone to:"wire a jbl driver black as negative knowing that the positive voltage on the black produces a positive pressure. i would have to give all the facts. sometimes its not all about knowing, but knowing the reason why"

sheldon.
The things we would do in the quest to attain the highest Levels of Sound! the Pressure that is!

Al Limberg

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2007, 10:00:56 AM »

Hi Sheldon -  I'm not here to argue your MT wiring points - never used them, don't expect I ever will. However,  I had to respond to your JBL/black positive comment. While it holds true for older models (2226, etc.) their newer designs do follow the AES standard of "positive to red causes forward cone motion".  Rather than change the wiring on older models, only those models 'created' after the cutoff date meet the standard. I guess they figured it was better than having to look for a particular serial number or production date to see how a driver was wired.  The newer models have a tag affixed under the terminals pointing out the wiring protocol.

?;o)
Al
If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get one million miles to the gallon, and explode once a year killing everyone inside - Robert X. Cringely
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 20 queries.