ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Good Inexpensive Analog AGC  (Read 2909 times)

Dan Brandesky

Good Inexpensive Analog AGC
« on: February 17, 2007, 09:31:15 PM »

I'm looking for one or two analog automatic gain controllers for a backstage monitor feed for a theatre. I'd like to see something similar to the Symetrix 421m, but preferably something that's not really expensive; just something to act as a leveling device to try to keep the dynamics back there fairly consistent. Any suggestions are appreciated. I checked on the DBX website and that's all digital (more than we need), and the rane stuff, while very nice looking, is also very expensive.

-Dan
Why do I need cymbal overheads? I'll just use SM58s on the vocals.

Hal Bissinger/COMSYSTEC

• http://www.comsystecusa.com
Re: Good Inexpensive Analog AGC
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2007, 10:12:57 PM »

You might have a look at Radio Design Labs Here

-Hal

Michael 'Bink' Knowles

• http://www.binkster.net/index.shtml
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 11:02:16 AM »

To me, good and inexpensive means the secondhand market.

Here's a great design by TOA: the L-1102. $300 on eBay.

-Bink
Michael 'Bink' Knowles
www.binkster.net

Eric Snodgrass

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 08:52:35 PM »

Dan Brandesky wrote on Sat, 17 February 2007 18:31

I'm looking for one or two analog automatic gain controllers for a backstage monitor feed for a theatre. I'd like to see something similar to the Symetrix 421m, but preferably something that's not really expensive; just something to act as a leveling device to try to keep the dynamics back there fairly consistent. Any suggestions are appreciated. I checked on the DBX website and that's all digital (more than we need), and the rane stuff, while very nice looking, is also very expensive.

-Dan

How come you can't use your Symmetrix?  We had them at the Kodak Theatre for backstage program and they worked great.  Are you using yours for something else?
You can use it for a single mono feed, then feed the Symmetrix output to a distribution amp (Rane makes one) and send that feed to various places.  
Eric Snodgrass
No, really, I do this for a living.

Dan Brandesky

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2007, 09:22:41 PM »

I COULD use my symmetrix...I just kind of don't want to give it up now.  Embarassed  I think I'll see how this setup works without an AGC, then go from there. It's just such a handy thing to have...I can't justify getting rid of it now. It's a shame they don't make them anymore. The other thing is I have a feeling that buying new is easiest for the theatre here, since it's a state-run university, so purchases of used gear from non-commercial sellers could be tricky unless I wrapped it up in my business account, and then I would have to figure out how to do tax exempt sales.

-Dan

Eric Snodgrass

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2007, 09:43:03 PM »

Dan Brandesky wrote on Mon, 19 February 2007 18:22

I COULD use my symmetrix...I just kind of don't want to give it up now.  Embarassed  I think I'll see how this setup works without an AGC, then go from there. It's just such a handy thing to have...I can't justify getting rid of it now. It's a shame they don't make them anymore. The other thing is I have a feeling that buying new is easiest for the theatre here, since it's a state-run university, so purchases of used gear from non-commercial sellers could be tricky unless I wrapped it up in my business account, and then I would have to figure out how to do tax exempt sales.

-Dan

Ah, so this is for a purchase.  I must have missed that in your post.  Still, check out the Rane site.  They might have exactly what you need.  
Eric Snodgrass
No, really, I do this for a living.

Dan Brandesky

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2007, 09:59:32 PM »

I checked out Rane, and they have a lot of nice products, they're just waay out of the budget. Does anyone know of a decent inexpensive rackmount mixer? Something that's around 1RU and can take at least one mic channel (preferably with +48V) and a line input? That way I could run the two signals out into an AGC and then into an amp. I thought I remembered Tapco making something like this, but I can't seem to find it now. Right now I'm dealing in Radio Shack-level stuff, so "low-end" gear is perfectly fine; this isn't a HiFi system.

-Dan

Dan Brandesky

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2007, 10:11:33 PM »

Nevermind that: I just found the Rolls MX122. One mic line, 4 stereo line inputs. The phantom power is only 12V, but I can get a separate phantom power supply for 48V. But I still would like an AGC...it would be awesome if Rolls made one, but the closest thing they have is a compressor. I guess we'll see how it works out...

-Dan
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 19 queries.