ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Building a "true" full range speaker  (Read 18236 times)

Antone Atmarama Bajor

• http://www.geocities.com/somesoundgreat
Re: Matterhorn
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2007, 03:13:02 PM »

I would certainly be concerned about it being tested indoors.

150dB @ 15Hz sounds downright dangerous.

Out doors away from any structures would probably be exciting!!!!!!

I want to go too.

Antone-

Al Limberg

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2007, 04:08:21 PM »

Sounds to me like it will BE its own booth!

?;o)
Al
If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get one million miles to the gallon, and explode once a year killing everyone inside - Robert X. Cringely

Michael Hedden Jr.

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2007, 04:47:04 PM »

Al Limberg wrote on Mon, 19 February 2007 21:08

Sounds to me like it will BE its own booth!

?;o)
Al

Yeah now thats what I call room gain baby!

Mike Hedden
Danley Sound Labs, Inc.

Dan Brandesky

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2007, 07:53:35 PM »

This matterhorn monstrosity can only make me think of one thing already found in the world:

http://www.talesfromthemountainside.dsl.pipex.com/Horn.jpg

Maybe you all should patent this and sell your designs to a company that manufactures fog horns and sirens. I bet it would be a huge success. Just think, instead of a regular, boring old single tone foghorn, you could broadcast bass solos over the ocean at 150 dB.  Shocked

-Dan
Why do I need cymbal overheads? I'll just use SM58s on the vocals.

Mike Butler (media)

• http://www.mikebutlermedia.com
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2007, 10:14:32 PM »

Michael Hedden Jr. wrote on Mon, 19 February 2007 14:23

...The Matterhorn will be displayed close to the food court area of the show along with the other manufacturer's tractor/trailer rigs...Mike Hedden
Danley Sound Labs

Now that adds a whole new meaning to the term "dinner music"!  Very Happy
It also adds new meaning to the concept of "big speaker,"  being displayed with the other guys' tractor-trailer rigs!
<a href="http://www.mikebutlermedia.com" target="_blank">http://www.mikebutlermedia.com</a>

Mike Butler Media * AV/video production * corporate event production * presentation services * marketing support * creative research * graphic design * photography

Tim Duffin

Re: Building a "true" full range speaker
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2007, 10:16:16 PM »

I think its great that this new "matterhorn" thing you guys have developed looks exactly like the many 1990's car audio installations for extreme SPL.  This type of setup has been done for years with great results in the high spl brackets.  Except of course that you probably arent expecting to hit 188+ DB with this collection of woofers.  And I don't see any concrete/rebar reinforcement on the side panels ( a must for any vehicle that hits over 170db ).

And some people on this board still think that car-audio has no relevance to pro-audio...

T

John Roberts {JR}

« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2007, 11:20:20 PM »

Tim Duffin wrote on Wed, 14 March 2007 21:16

I think its great that this new "matterhorn" thing you guys have developed looks exactly like the many 1990's car audio installations for extreme SPL.  This type of setup has been done for years with great results in the high spl brackets.  Except of course that you probably arent expecting to hit 188+ DB with this collection of woofers.  And I don't see any concrete/rebar reinforcement on the side panels ( a must for any vehicle that hits over 170db ).

And some people on this board still think that car-audio has no relevance to pro-audio...

T

me me me.... Rolling Eyes

JR

PS: How many audience members can fit inside your car?
 https://www.resotune.com/

Tune it, or don't play it...
-----

Phillip_Graham

« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2007, 02:50:23 PM »

Tim Duffin wrote on Wed, 14 March 2007 22:16

T

And I struggle to see how you could think a bunch of drivers loaded into a folded HORN, feeding into open air, with each side of the driver loading said horn at different key points in the flare, has ANYTHING to do with a wall of woofers firing into a sealed pressure pot (ie car interior), ala car audio.

Also don't those car audio guys only hit peak spls for fractions of a second somewhere around 65hz?  That's a lot different than continuous operation at 15hz.

Ivan Beaver

Re: Building a "true" full range speaker-confused
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2007, 10:07:45 PM »

Confused I am really struggling to see what you see in common with ANY car installation, except a large number of drivers.  Any photos would be nice.  If you think the Matterhorn is just some drivers mounted inside a box, you are sadly mistaken.

I also fail to understand what a cabinet that radiates into free space with an opening of around 64 square feet has to do with a car that is sealed up and just builds up pressure inside.  Of course you have to use concrete, the pressure has no where to go.

Maybe I am just missing something here.  Please enlighten.
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Peter Wing

• http://ibsubwoofers.proboards51.com/
Re: Building a "true" full range speaker-confused
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2007, 11:02:08 PM »

When can we find public info on the matterhorn?
Will it require a structural engineer to be present when it is use inside the venue? Very Happy
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 19 queries.