ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Building a "true" full range speaker  (Read 18234 times)

Dan Brandesky

Building a "true" full range speaker
« on: February 15, 2007, 10:12:35 PM »

I was wondering if anyone had tried building a single speaker cabinet that covered the full sound spectrum, say 20hz-20khz at least reasonably well. The idea popped into my head to, for example, build a box that had a low end component somewhat like the JTR growler bass horn, then possibly some sort of horn loaded midrange driver and a high frequency driver, or even a 4-way box, with a low, low mid, high mid, and high driver. I suspect that there is some principle of physics that would make this impossible, and since I know nothing about speaker design I don't really know how this would work out (I do know you'd probably have to time align the components, especially with a horn loaded sub in the bottom), but it might be rather convenient if something like this could be built. I know I have seen boxes with a vented 18 in the bottom, a 12" or 10" midrange, and a 2 or 3" horn, but I don't know that the single 18" really does much in those boxes (I KNOW not in their particular amp configuration, but even then I don't know that they would run all that strong). Anyway, just wondering if anyone had tried doing this, or has reasons why it's not possible.

-Dan
Why do I need cymbal overheads? I'll just use SM58s on the vocals.

Phil LaDue

Re: Building a "true" full range speaker
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2007, 10:23:55 PM »

Dan Brandesky wrote on Thu, 15 February 2007 22:12

I was wondering if anyone had tried building a single speaker cabinet that covered the full sound spectrum, say 20hz-20khz at least reasonably well. The idea popped into my head to, for example, build a box that had a low end component somewhat like the JTR growler bass horn, then possibly some sort of horn loaded midrange driver and a high frequency driver, or even a 4-way box, with a low, low mid, high mid, and high driver. I suspect that there is some principle of physics that would make this impossible, and since I know nothing about speaker design I don't really know how this would work out (I do know you'd probably have to time align the components, especially with a horn loaded sub in the bottom), but it might be rather convenient if something like this could be built. I know I have seen boxes with a vented 18 in the bottom, a 12" or 10" midrange, and a 2 or 3" horn, but I don't know that the single 18" really does much in those boxes (I KNOW not in their particular amp configuration, but even then I don't know that they would run all that strong). Anyway, just wondering if anyone had tried doing this, or has reasons why it's not possible.

-Dan

From a practicality standpoint, it would be physically huge.

Les Webb

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2007, 10:33:25 PM »

Dan Brandesky wrote on Fri, 16 February 2007 03:12

-Dan

http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/David.html
Bill Fitzmaurice Authorized Builder

Phil LaDue

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2007, 10:44:51 PM »

Les Webb wrote on Thu, 15 February 2007 22:33

It looks a tad bit fragile for live work.

Les Webb

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2007, 10:58:17 PM »

Phil LaDue wrote on Fri, 16 February 2007 03:44

Les Webb wrote on Thu, 15 February 2007 22:33

It looks a tad bit fragile for live work.

True, it's designed for home stereo.  I was just showing the concept might be feasible.  Probably end up with a speaker that's too large to pack if you scaled up any though.

Les
Bill Fitzmaurice Authorized Builder

Christian Effendy

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2007, 05:54:49 AM »

Big studio monitors can do that. I've installed something like that once. It's a pair of Genelec 1036A. Each has 2x18" lows, 2x5" mids, 1x1" DCW tweeter. The factory claim is 21-20KHz, but I find that in room response extend to below 20Hz. And they go loud as well, more than 130 dB (inside the studio). But I don't know how they'll perform for live PA.
I know that Meyer has that kind of 4-way box consist of 18",15",12",and tweeter, with about 4KW of power, but I never heard how they sound, but usually the Meyer guys have good design.
I've tried to build one with 18" lo, 10" horn loaded mid, a 3"tweeter and a super tweeter. It reach 20KHz on RTA but I still find some problem with the last lower octave. I can't get a way to push the 18" to reach below 30Hz. It can do it in simulation but will need a very big box. And mine is already need 4 to lift it, so I won't make it any bigger.
Plus, it seems that I haven't get the coverage pattern right.

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2007, 07:24:55 AM »

Getting dow to 20Hz flat (and loud) is not an easy thing to do.  The Growler is 30dB down at 20Hz as compaired to its main passband.

There will be a couple new subs that should be shown at NSCA in a month that will get to 20Hz (and lower), loud enough for concert use.  They are not DIY projects however.

One of them I have been working on already has over 30 man/days in the construction of it and a long way to go yet.
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Antone Atmarama Bajor

• http://www.geocities.com/somesoundgreat
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2007, 04:59:44 AM »

Ivan Said:
Quote:

There will be a couple new subs that should be shown at NSCA in a month that will get to 20Hz (and lower), loud enough for concert use. They are not DIY projects however.

One of them I have been working on already has over 30 man/days in the construction of it and a long way to go yet.

Sweet I wanna know more!!!  Very Happy  Twisted Evil

I'm thinking that if I could get above 118dB @ 20Hz That I would actually stress the windows in our warehouse to breaking point.  The seem to be having a fairly bad time @ 115-118dB right now.

You're probably really building a venue demolition device!!!
Twisted Evil

Got any preliminary predicted response????

Antone-  

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2007, 09:32:24 AM »

The larger of the two cabinets should be close to this: flat to 15Hz, -3 around 12Hz.  At 15Hz predicted output is in the mid 150dB range for music, upper 140's sine wave 24/7 at 15Hz.  This is for a single cabinet.  This one has multiple drivers.  Measured response is still a couple of weeks away-lot's of work still to do.

The smaller "home" version is flat to around 23Hz with output around 130dB at 23Hz.  These are just coming off the line and production models might get measured this next week or so.  This version has a single driver.

Stay tuned.
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Mac Kerr

• SR Forums
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2007, 12:32:01 PM »

Ivan Beaver wrote on Sat, 17 February 2007 09:32

The larger of the two cabinets should be close to this: flat to 15Hz, -3 around 12Hz.  At 15Hz predicted output is in the mid 150dB range for music, upper 140's sine wave 24/7 at 15Hz.  This is for a single cabinet.  This one has multiple drivers.  Measured response is still a couple of weeks away-lot's of work still to do.
Laughing   "Larger" of the two..I like that! At least it's portable.  Laughing

Mac
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 20 queries.