ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: My first ADRaudio speaker gig  (Read 56608 times)

Lee Brenkman

Re: ADRaudio demo package fits in my car
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2007, 01:09:34 PM »

Tony Tissot wrote on Fri, 16 February 2007 16:48

Ales Dravinec 'Alex' wrote on Thu, 15 February 2007 12:37

to make front row spectators happy...I don't have to mention, who those people usually are...

Alex

? Buttheads? For being willing to pay way too much?

More options...

Friends and Family of the Band?

Attractive women planted by artist management to get the artists "in the mood"?

Record company guests?

And the most important people down in the "front lines"

Big burly security guys!

"I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened."
— Mark Twain

Tim McCulloch

Re: ADRaudio demo package fits in my car
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2007, 01:47:40 PM »

Lee Brenkman wrote on Sat, 17 February 2007 12:09

And the most important people down in the "front lines"

Big burly security guys!

LOL Lee.... I can't count how many times I've put out additional front fill at the BE's request, only to have them blocked by security personel.

Tim Mc
"Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?" Crack The Sky

Pascal Pincosy

Re: My first ADRaudio speaker gig
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2007, 03:38:21 PM »

Hopefully Bink doesn't mind me barging in on his thread but the topic seems apt. I did a couple of gigs last Saturday with the ADRaudio gear and overall I'm pretty impressed.

The first show was a memorial celebration consisting of a few speakers, an opera singer, a taiko drummming group, belly dancing, and ending with DJ's. The event took place in San Francisco's Bandshell in Golden Gate Park. The ADRaudio speakers were set up on the stage at the bandshell for the speakers and performance, and my sound system was set up off to the side for the DJ's. I used an ATA 118 in the center and a U 103 on each side covering an audience of about 400 people. A single M 1225 did monitor duty front and center. I ran the rig with no processing or EQ at all on the mains.

The event was a bit better attended than I'd expected, so I was pretty happy that the U 103's had no problem covering the crowd with headroom to spare, even during the musical portions. These tops are really nice! Clean and clear, but with a nice warm feel to them. I'm in agreement with Bink though about how the tops and subs combine: there seemed to be a bit too much mid-bass, and the sub energy felt a bit boomy. I wish I had more feedback about the speakers from this gig, but I was busy setting up the other system during much of the event. We did get a number of compliments about the system from attendees, which I think is pretty indicative of their quality considering there was no EQ or processing.

Later that night I used the U 103's as DJ monitors for an indoor techno party. I was more than a bit concerned that with only a 10" on lows that they wouldn't hold up, so I had a set of Mackie SRM 450's ready as backup in case the ADR cabinets proved insufficient. Under hard limiting the 10" would noticibly distort, but the highs stayed clean and clear. Were I to use them in this capacity again, I would want a HPF inserted so that the 10" wouldn't have such strain put on it. However, they were "just" loud enough to hold their own sitting 2 feet behind a pair of Bassmaxx Trip 12's. Any more system than this and they would have been insufficient (as would the Mackies, for the record.) I'll definitely be considering the larger U 154's for purchase when they become available. Bennett, please put me on the list for a demo when you get those cabinets stateside.

Overall my only quibble with these speakers is the warranty length, which is currently 2 years. EONA ADRaudio is obviously setting themselves up as the Meyer alternative for those seeking quality speakers with a bit less sticker shock. I'd like to see them meet, if not exceed, the standard 3 year warranty Meyer delivers.
Know:Audio
--------------------------------
US Distributor: Trabes/MG Srl
Speaker Lifts-Truss-Roof Systems

Lee Brenkman

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2007, 04:32:16 PM »

Pascal,

Good to read your report.

Really glad they survived the Techno party.    I'm looking forward to using them for the 'cabaret singer with band and CHOIR' show at "Mrs. Grampa's" old high school next week.

Lee
"I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened."
— Mark Twain

Ales Dravinec 'Alex'

• http://www.adraudio.com
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2007, 04:39:50 PM »

Hey Pascal !

I'm glad you get to use the gear in a "real world" situation. Obviously it's the only meaningful way, to evaluate it. Thanks.

I have to say a few words about U103HH/ATA118HH "compatibility":

We designed U103 to be rather full range...with built in HPF at 80's and 2nd order slope, while ATA118 encloses also 2nd order LPF at 90's. Those two filters respectively were designed in that manner, that allow more flexibility, when combining different powered speakers from our range. This is also the reason we designed small(ish) "system integrator", which enables sound engineer to additionally low pass the sub(s) at 70Hz 2nd order Q=0,86 and flip the polarity on those (when applicable), to achieve the smoothest transition between high and low units. By inserting 4th order LPF inside subs, we would make them more "subby", but less versatile....I'm sorry you didn't have a chance to use ASI23, but we ran out of those demos.

About the warranty issue :

Default two years warranty is obviously the standard, but due to the fact, that all our strategic parts manufacturers stand by us completely in terms of being ready to replace "bad" parts, we put extended warranty clause in our warranty statement already.

Keep in touch !

Alex

(edit : ASI23 LPF data added)
Ales Dravinec
R&D manager, owner
ADRaudio
Slovenia

'There's no replacement for displacement' Carroll Shelby (Jim Bowersox, Tim McCulloch)
'Put speakers up in the air, where they belong' Bill Hanley

Michael 'Bink' Knowles

• http://www.binkster.net/index.shtml
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2007, 05:25:21 PM »

Great hearing about your gigs, Pascal. I was busy with a promised day of hiking in the redwoods with the wife so I couldn't follow you out to GGPk to listen to the gig.

Wow! U103 on top of Trip 12. That's some crazy bassomatic set of Texas headphones. I probably would have used front loaded subs for that purpose so the DJ gets more impact up close. And I would have HPFed the top boxes. But the onboard limiters did their jobs and the boxes live to gig another day.  Cool

-Bink
Michael 'Bink' Knowles
www.binkster.net

Pascal Pincosy

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2007, 05:39:51 PM »

Lee Brenkman wrote on Tue, 20 February 2007 21:32

Really glad they survived the Techno party.

Ivan Beaver termed my use of sound systems as 'abusive' I think. But outside of about 20 or so 18" subs over the years, I haven't blown a speaker driver yet. Rolling Eyes  It did take me a while to figure out that most subs shouldn't be run much over RMS wattage for 36 hours straight when playing compressed dance music...

Pascal Pincosy

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2007, 05:55:50 PM »

Hey Bink, just to make clear, the U 103's were doing monitor duty for the DJ by themselves. The TRIP's were placed center right in front of the DJ with a pair of my modified PAS RS 2.2's for tops. I can't even begin to consider the need to use a pair of TRIP's for DJ monitors under any circumstance. Shocked

One of the cool features of the Mackie SRM 450's is that they have a switchable HPF @ 75Hz. This allows you to cut out the low end and gives the 12" a little more breathing room when being run to their limits. And since there's plenty of sub energy everywhere in the room, those frequencies aren't likely to be missed in the monitors.

Obviously, this isn't the intended use for the U 103, but it's nice to know it can handle it in a pinch. Did I mention that the highs stayed crisp and clean even under heavy limiting?

Bennett Prescott

• http://www.adraudio.com
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2007, 07:42:47 PM »

Pascal, thanks for the kind review, I'm glad you had a chance to beat up our stuff.

As Alex has already said, the low pass in the subs is intentionally low-order and at a moderately high frequency of 90hz to make them more flexible. For most applications we offer our ASI23 which has a 70hz 2nd order low pass for the subs (to match them to the U103s), unfortunately we're out of stock on those at the moment. When I get more in March I'll get one out to your area.

We take support very seriously and consider it a very important component of any speaker buying decision. As such, our standard warranty is already 3 years, and we may consider extending it again or offering an extended warranty once we've got a little more field time under our belts.

I should have U153s in the US shortly after Musikmesse, and would be happy to make some available to you.
-- Bennett Prescott
Director of North American Sales
ADRaudio d.o.o.
Cell: (518) 488-7190

"Give me 6dB and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

Elliot Thompson

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2007, 07:34:56 AM »

Hey Pascal.

It's ashame you didn't have the EONA 618 at your disposal. To the 118, it's like comparing mini van to a semi truck in terms of performance, power and, quality.

If you can get your hands on a pair (If Bennet has four in his inventory all the better) you won't be disappointed.

Best Regards,
Elliot
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 21 queries.