ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: how often have you bought the wrong equipment???  (Read 5568 times)

Danijel Foler

how often have you bought the wrong equipment???
« on: February 21, 2011, 12:55:35 PM »

I personally made a few mistakes in purchasing equipment (not good choice for exact application) and then sold it as new at half price. :-\
Have you had any more mistakes when buying equipment? what equipment you have purchased the wrong?

Devin Rice

Re: how often have you bought the wrong equipment???
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 11:53:32 AM »

Why would you sell it as new at half price? You'd probably have recouped the cost by crossrenting it.

Gus Housen

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 08:14:42 PM »

I wouldnt call it the wrong equipment Per Se but i have bought equipment I just didnt like, out grew, hasnt held up, thought would be used more or simply was something i needed ( or thought I needed) for a few gigs. Typically I buy used gear so I dont usually take a huge hit on it or use it enough to get my money out of it.

Airton Pereira

• The Knutz
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 10:03:01 PM »

I only bought one equip wrong so far. Not wrong, but I could not configure it for what I needed.
Drummer and Sound Engineer for The Knutz.

No Name

• SR Forums
    • Stage Electrics UK
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 11:35:20 PM »

In the past I have made some mistakes on kit that ended up either not being quite what it cracked up to be, or alternately I didnt really need.  At the time I put it down to inexperience and GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome). 

Nowadays I research all investments thoroughly, and if the kit cant pay for itself within a year (or two for bigger stuff like consoles etc) from purchase, I will not buy it.  When your trying to run a business, you cannot afford to have gear sitting in the warehouse not being used, all the kit has to pay its keep and there is no room for purchasing mistakes.
Kind Regards,
Adam Finlayson

Rob Gow

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 03:46:14 PM »

Just a BBE Sonic Maximizer.

:facepalm:

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 07:43:29 PM »

So far, I've stayed away from audio gear that is subpar to my expectations of quality...that is mostly due to PSW and the information/user reviews - good and bad - that I've read.

The only thing I've bought that I probably shouldn't have was a cheap portable butane soldering iron...it just doesn't stay hot enough.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Tim Talbot

• True Sound Hire
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 08:26:01 PM »

I brought 9 prototype amps once = not a wise move  :'( saying that thou the amps have gone on to be a good product so i hear........

Buy branded / well known kit now thou.

Sheldon Harris

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2011, 09:50:38 PM »

I personally made a few mistakes in purchasing equipment (not good choice for exact application) and then sold it as new at half price. :-\
Have you had any more mistakes when buying equipment? what equipment you have purchased the wrong?

over the years, lots! boxes with 1" drivers instead of 2", 90 degree boxes instead of 60 for stacking side by side, wrong height stage under-structures, wrong lights, too little aux on boards, no vcas!, cables with wrong size wire gauge inside, xovers, eqs, amplifiers that suck,and the list could go on for pages: some were not carefully planned out, some were but eventually turned out a waste. but, for every piece of gear that's seemingly useless there is someone out there that would be well pleased to purchase such.
that's the way it is, useless one way, useful the other.
sheldon

Tim Talbot

• True Sound Hire
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2011, 10:33:20 PM »

over the years, lots! boxes with 1" drivers instead of 2", 90 degree boxes instead of 60 for stacking side by side, wrong height stage under-structures, wrong lights, too little aux on boards, no vcas!, cables with wrong size wire gauge inside, xovers, eqs, amplifiers that suck,and the list could go on for pages: some were not carefully planned out, some were but eventually turned out a waste. but, for every piece of gear that's seemingly useless there is someone out there that would be well pleased to purchase such.
that's the way it is, useless one way, useful the other.
sheldon

I think everybody does this and you just get better at buying kit over time but rest assure your always going to buy another bit of crap one day lol 

Mike McNany

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2011, 07:34:00 AM »

What happened to the simple "reply to topic" button? Every time I hit "reply" it keeps putting up the reply window WITH A QUOTE!!!!

Had to erase it.

Anyways, I so overly research ANY purchase anymore that it drives others around me nuts. I am so tired of wasting $$ on ANYTHING. My LAST regret was buying a so-called USB turntable. I thought I'd convert all my vinyl to CD simply and sell off the vinyl. Still haven't managed to use it.

Mike McNany

Brian Bolly

• DC/Baltimore and other Major Airports
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2011, 09:45:58 AM »

over the years, lots! boxes with 1" drivers instead of 2"

Funny, one of the BEST purchases I ever (unknowingly) made was a bunch of 12"/1" (yes, 1", not 1.4") monitors with pole mounts.  I bought 6 or 8 of them to get through a weekend where I need a pile of extra speakers for various things, fully intending on putting them back in their boxes and selling them as dealer demos on the following Monday, as I was a dealer for this particular mfg at the time.

The nicest part about them was the cabinet - it was birch with a sprayed truck bed finish, although it wasn't the greatest wedge angle.  But the HF driver was a little mylar 1" B&C DE10, the LF was a 12" Eminence stamped frame (Beta maybe?), and the horn was this flimsy little injection molded piece of plastic.  Dual 1/4" & NL4 jacks, light bulb on the crossover, strap handle (!!!) - the works.  It screamed 'MI', but for some reason, every artist that stepped in front of them loved them.  To me they didn't sound great at all, but I think that little HF driver had just enough of the "icepick in the ear" feature to cut through stage wash and project up to the person in front of it.  After a weekend of this, I had second thoughts and decided to hold onto them. 

Fast forward 4 years, and they eventually got spruced up a bit - strap handles removed, NL4s added to either end and 1/4" jacks removed, logos stripped, foam added to the back of the grille - and they ended up in front of some B and C level nationals parked in an install.  To my knowledge they're still in there and still going, but for the speaker that was only expected to last a weekend, they made their money back MANY times over.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2011, 09:45:58 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 24 queries.