ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: DriveRack Question  (Read 5774 times)

Brian Adams

Re: DriveRack Question
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2007, 11:14:57 PM »

John Curtis wrote on Sat, 03 February 2007 19:23

As far as 260 vs. PA, go with the PA, its definitely worth the extra bit of money.

Well, you're backwards on that, but I'll agree that the 260 is definitely worth the extra money. Wink

I have a 260, and it's much easier to use than a PA.  Not that the PA is bad, it's fairly intuitive to get around on, but the 260 has much more flexibility and it's a LOT easier to do it on a laptop than on that tiny little screen.

I use Dx38's at work, and they work very well.  Personally, I think they sound better than the 260, but IMO they don't have enough output capability.  I'll agree that it is a better processor, but it's probably not quite right for you.  If the "38" meant 3 inputs and 8 outputs, that would be a different story...

If I were buying a DSP for a club rig, I'd be taking a serious look at the Peavey VSX series.  I don't know how it sounds, or anything about them really, but they have all the features you could ask for at a very attractive price.  And for that, I think they deserve a look, but that's just my opinion.  I'm almost considering switching from my 260 to the VSX just because of that third input, but I haven't had a chance to play with one yet to find out how they are.

Out of curiousity, what's the rest of your PA going to be?
B.

John Curtis

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2007, 12:03:58 AM »

D'oohh!  Thanks Brian, thats what happens when you try to keep an eye on your show and type at the same time.  I guess it was the opera singer lulling me to sleep.

Yes, the 260 is far superior to the PA, I just can't type.....
Technical Director
Bailey Family Performing Arts Center
Kenensaw State University

Steven Alves

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2007, 12:33:48 AM »

Thanks guys, going with QRx218 subs and QRx115/75 tops. Looking at a few different amps but haven't made a final decision. Does anyone know how the QRx212/75 compares to the 115/75?

Steve

Brian Adams

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2007, 01:09:52 PM »

The QRx 218 is a great sub, that's a great choice.  We had 12 212's that we used for mains and 8 115's that we used for wedges, so I have experience with those boxes as well.  The 115's sound good, get pretty loud, and have solid low end.  The 212's get really loud, and have a little less low end.  Neither box has the mid throw of the 153, is there any reason you're not looking at those?  The 153 doesn't get as loud as the 212, but the mids kind of drop out of the 212 when you crank them that much anyway, so in my mind it's kind of a moot point.  They're all good sounding cabinets, but the 212 needs more EQ in the high mids than the 115.  The 115 needs some EQ too, but not nearly as much as the 212.  The 153 needs very minor EQ, if at all.

Personally, I'd take the 212's rather than the 115's, and the 153's rather than the 212's, even though they're not quite as loud.  The 153 is the better sounding box, but not quite the powerhouse the 212 is.  That's just my opinion though, not the holy word.  If you like the 115 best, I won't hold it against you. Smile

We use QSC power on everything, which works pretty well.  We had the older PLX 3402's on lows, one channel for each 212, and two channels of a 3402 for 6 horns.  4 amps for 6 cabinets.  We had one channel of RMX 4050's for each sub, which were either MTL-1's or QRx 218's depending on the day.  PLX 3002's on lows for the 115 wedges and 1602's on horns.  We switched to 3402's on lows when we went to XW wedges, which helped a lot.  I would have preferred EV power, but for the money, QSC works really well.  RMX 4050's are awesome on those subs, it's worth the extra weight.
B.

Steven Alves

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2007, 01:32:37 AM »

Hmmm.. I just took a look at the 153 and really don't know why I didn't see it earlier. I guess it was the dual horns that confused me. I need to get them priced out from the others. I am looking at 4 of the 218s and 4 of either the 12s now or 153s. Any stage monitor recommendations to go with this that wont break the bank? I was looking at the Eliminator ones but someone said I should check out Yamaha. I really am trying to stick with EV but have a budget to consider.

Just to give you an idea, I am currently running 1502er's and Cerwin Vega Earthquakes (The old ones) If that gives you any clue how bad I need an update.

Steve

Adam Mottley

« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2007, 02:21:24 AM »

Steven Alves wrote on Mon, 05 February 2007 00:32

Hmmm.. I just took a look at the 153 and really don't know why I didn't see it earlier. I guess it was the dual horns that confused me. I need to get them priced out from the others. I am looking at 4 of the 218s and 4 of either the 12s now or 153s. Any stage monitor recommendations to go with this that wont break the bank? I was looking at the Eliminator ones but someone said I should check out Yamaha. I really am trying to stick with EV but have a budget to consider.

Steve

Steve,

Depending on your amplifier situation, the QRx212/75 should give a good price/performance ratio. With the 212/75, you have the option of running the tops passive until budget allows bi-amping, whereas the 153/75 is a bi-amp only cab. The 212/75 also makes using EV's Dx38 a bit easier to swallow, as one Dx38 will do the trick until you have more cash to buy additional amps/DSP. Two stacks of 212/75-218s, per side, would be a nice rock & roll rig, properly powered.

Monitor wedge choices on a budget slims your options down. Personally, if I had a choice between EV Eliminator wedges and Yamaha CM115V's, I'd probably pick the Yamahas, as the price is right, they are near indestructible, and the Yamahas look nice (no rat fur). They are easy on the pocketbook, amp-wise, as well.

Good luck,

Adam
"Why do you call this research ? I thought you were trying to find something new."

A quote from an unknown engineer

Rick Byers

• http://www.lost-dogs.info
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2007, 06:50:33 AM »

Mac Kerr wrote on Sat, 03 February 2007 20:11

What a mountain out a molehill. ANY electronics which are live to the PA can cause a pop when they are powered on or off. If you lose power to FOH like everyone uses as an example of the DRPA's bad behavior, your console is going to pop in the PA as well.

Mac

Mac, I can only agree here, but (in my experience) the DRPA noise when turned on is far greater (the outputs all go to max) than the inadvertant turning on and off of other signal chain items.  Plus as it directly feeds your amps, and bypassess it's own internal limiters, is all the more destructive than an item lower down the signal chain which would have it's end effect tempered by the driverack's limiters.

Andy Peters

• http://www.latke.net/
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2007, 01:50:08 PM »

Rick Byers wrote on Mon, 05 February 2007 04:50

Mac Kerr wrote on Sat, 03 February 2007 20:11

What a mountain out a molehill. ANY electronics which are live to the PA can cause a pop when they are powered on or off. If you lose power to FOH like everyone uses as an example of the DRPA's bad behavior, your console is going to pop in the PA as well.

Mac

Mac, I can only agree here, but (in my experience) the DRPA noise when turned on is far greater (the outputs all go to max) than the inadvertant turning on and off of other signal chain items.  Plus as it directly feeds your amps, and bypassess it's own internal limiters, is all the more destructive than an item lower down the signal chain which would have it's end effect tempered by the driverack's limiters.

So explain to me how this is different from any analog crossover that does not have power-up/down output muting.  Please.  I'm waiting.

And I'm still waiting for someone to say, "Yes, I have lost a driver due to the DRPA's lack of power-up/down muting."

The DRPA has issues that make it less than useful but the lack of such muting ain't one of 'em.

-a
"This isn't some upside down inverted Socratic method where you throw out your best guess answers and I correct your work." -- JR

"On the Internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

Ryan Lantzy

• http://www.lhsoundandlight.com
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2007, 02:17:33 PM »

Andy Peters wrote on Mon, 05 February 2007 13:50

So explain to me how this is different from any analog crossover that does not have power-up/down output muting.  Please.  I'm waiting.

And I'm still waiting for someone to say, "Yes, I have lost a driver due to the DRPA's lack of power-up/down muting."

The DRPA has issues that make it less than useful but the lack of such muting ain't one of 'em.

-a

I agree the DRPA is mostly limited by it's forced stereo linking among other things (no remote control, etc).

However, most pro gear I've run into has power-down muting.  Even cheaper analog xovers.  To me, it's a "why not" type feature.

I think the OP would be better suited to a DCX2496 if he wants a cheap digital crossover.

Ryan Lantzy
"In the beginner's mind the possibilities are many, in the expert's mind they are few."

John Horvath

• http://www.alanproaudio.com
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2007, 03:10:44 PM »

If you're not looking to adjust your processor with a computer, then maybe take a look at the Ashly 3.24CL.  I recently swapped out a DR260 with the Ashly and was quite happy with the sonic improvement.  I agree with the others on the DR260 vs. DRPA debate - The DR260 is well worth the extra money over the DRPA.  But if If you're looking for even better sound quality, the Ashly is another sonic step up.  
-John

Alan Pro Audio
219-769-3600
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 18 queries.