ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jensen and Whirlwind transformers, will I notice the difference?  (Read 1408 times)

Mario Salazar

Jensen and Whirlwind transformers, will I notice the difference?
« on: February 03, 2007, 01:50:02 pm »

Hey guys,
I have another question.  I have 24 jensen 4 way splitters and have been mulling over how to employ them.  I have since seen some whirlwind transformer split boxes that have 16 inputs and 32 output (in 16 pairs) all in one box.  This seems like an easy way to get a tranny split for now until my business dictates I build a multipin high $ box with the jensens.  I would, however, be using these only when an act dictates they want to record with my high quality pre amps, not the ones on the board (using Direct outs).  I own calrec, api, neve and grace mic pres, among others.  My question is, are the whirlwind trannies so low quality that it would render the improvement of using these pres null and void or would they still be worth it as a temporary investment until I know I have enough business to build the splitter system with the jensens.  How much of a quality difference is there and is it discernible by ear?
Let me know.  As always, I really appreciate your input.   Thanks for everything.
Regards,
Mario

Geoff Doane

Re: Jensen and Whirlwind transformers, will I notice the difference?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2007, 09:47:21 pm »

I've built a couple 40 Ch. splitters for recording work using Whirlwind transformers (TRSP-3?).  These are routinely used for high quality recordings using GML, Amek, and other premium preamps, and the people using them have no complaints.  The recording feed almost always gets the "direct" split in order to feed phantom power to audience mics (that the PA has no interest in), but the transformer is bridged across the direct line, none the less.  

In over 15 years of using these boxes, the only problem I can recall was low end overload when line level (+4 dBu) from a DAT recorder was run directly into the splitter.  No microphone has ever overloaded them.

Whirlwind may not have the cachet of Jensen, but in the real world, they certainly seem to do the job.

GTD

John Curtis

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2007, 12:01:06 am »

Having worked in studios a bit, I would say that quality mics, mic placement, good pres and a reliable recorder are going to make a bigger difference than whether or not you use Jensens in a split.  Is there a difference?  Yes.  Will you hear it over stage noise, possibly, but not probable.  

Or you could always do like my old boss and insist on double-micing everything!  Talk about a PITA!  Sorry to anyone in the Atlanta market that ever had to deal with us, it was a nightmare showing up to record folks shows and the A2 or stage manager would direct us to the splitter and he would go "Oh no, we're going to mic with our own stuff."  Nothing better than me trying to convince the boss that we didn't need to do that and convincing the stage manager not to kick us off his stage!
Technical Director
Bailey Family Performing Arts Center
Kenensaw State University

Mario Salazar

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2007, 01:26:24 pm »

Thanks for the input guys!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 16 queries.