ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 22   Go Down

Author Topic: NYC Subwoofer Shootout 2007 Results Part II  (Read 70305 times)

Wayne Parham

Re: Measurement data
« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2007, 11:24:42 AM »

It looks like the walls were only about 10 feet away, maybe 20 feet.  Is that true?  Brick walls, right?  Very little damping for room modes, I expect.

As for microphone distance, I expct someone has an exact measurement written down somewhere.  That's an important figure.
Wayne Parham
π Speakers
PiSpeakers.com

Wayne Parham

« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2007, 11:31:14 AM »

Was there a specific test plan used in NYC?  I expect all systems were given the same battery of tests, yes?  Something like this:

Seeing your test plan will give me some idea what was done, and how to compare data with other measurements.  I'm not sure that datasets from indoor measurements will be comparable to data from outdoor measurements, but some things might be.
Wayne Parham
π Speakers
PiSpeakers.com

Tim McCulloch

« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2007, 12:47:26 PM »

The indoor measurements of the Danley TH-115 will be compared with outdoor measurement of the TH-115.  Mark Seaton is hoping to derive some "correction" from the differences, and that correction will be applied to all speakers, as they were all measured in the exact same spot, same mic position (it was taped to the floor), and same input voltages.

Regarding mic distance.. that was measured.  I believe Mark has that information as well, but IIRC it was slightly over 1 metre.

HTH

Tim Mc
"Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?" Crack The Sky

Iain_Macdonald

Re: NYC Subwoofer Shootout 2007 Results Part II
« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2007, 02:10:56 PM »

Tom Danley wrote on Fri, 02 February 2007 14:14

Hi Elliott

The TH-215’s have a new drivers in them too, these should be....

Tom Danley

Were these new drivers just experimental for the shootout, or are they going to be a standard item ?

Iain.

Tim McCulloch

« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2007, 02:47:03 PM »

Ivan and & I discussed the drivers, and Tom can offer more output, but higher F3, or go lower with less output, driver dependant.  It might be an "option" thing... or for the sake of identical performance, Tom may pick a driver.

HTH

Tim Mc
"Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?" Crack The Sky

Michael Hedden Jr.

« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2007, 02:50:36 PM »

Were these new drivers just experimental for the shootout, or are they going to be a standard item ?

Iain.
[/quote]

The drivers we used at the shootout are indeed standard issue.
We will change the spec sheet to reflect that shortly.  By the way for the power handling crowd this provides us with 2400 watts RMS, 4800 watts continuous, 9600 watts peak on the only sub at the shootout essentially flat from 60 to 30 Hz.

Mike Hedden

Iain_Macdonald

« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2007, 03:08:35 PM »

Tim McCulloch wrote on Thu, 08 February 2007 19:47

Ivan and & I discussed the drivers, and Tom can offer more output, but higher F3, or go lower with less output, driver dependant.  It might be an "option" thing... or for the sake of identical performance, Tom may pick a driver.

HTH

Tim Mc

Michael Hedden Jr.wrote on Thu, 08 February 2007 19:50

The drivers we used at the shootout are indeed standard issue. We will change the spec sheet to reflect that shortly. By the way for the power handling crowd this provides us with 2400 watts RMS, 4800 watts continuous, 9600 watts peak on the only sub at the shootout essentially flat from 60 to 30 Hz.

Mike Hedden

Thanks for the replys.

So, much higher power but an option on the drivers for LF extension or power. I would vote for pick a driver.

Iain.

Wayne Parham

« Reply #57 on: February 08, 2007, 03:31:15 PM »

Tim McCulloch wrote on Thu, 08 February 2007 11:47

The indoor measurements of the Danley TH-115 will be compared with outdoor measurement of the TH-115.  Mark Seaton is hoping to derive some "correction" from the differences, and that correction will be applied to all speakers, as they were all measured in the exact same spot, same mic position (it was taped to the floor), and same input voltages.

Regarding mic distance.. that was measured.  I believe Mark has that information as well, but IIRC it was slightly over 1 metre.
Tim Mc

Very good, thanks.  With the microphone distance known, SPL can be calculated relative to 1 meter at whatever power or voltage levels were used.  That gives us a reference.

Good idea on the indoor/outdoor correction scheme.  But didn't I see that the drivers used at the NYC shootout were different than those used in the published (outdoor) measurements?  I guess that could be solved by measuring outdoors again with the new drivers to get a new outdoor baseline.  But then again, didn't the TH-115 drivers overheat?  Seemed like I read they smoked.
Wayne Parham
π Speakers
PiSpeakers.com

Michael Hedden Jr.

« Reply #58 on: February 08, 2007, 04:12:42 PM »

But didn't I see that the drivers used at the NYC shootout were different than those used in the published (outdoor) measurements?  I guess that could be solved by measuring outdoors again with the new drivers to get a new outdoor baseline.  But then again, didn't the TH-115 drivers overheat?  Seemed like I read they smoked.
[/quote]

Wayne,
The TH215 was the only sub with different drivers. FWIW the frequency response of either driver is very similar although the higher powered drivers cost more.
For the record the only drivers that smoked at the shootout were from EM.  
The situation involving the TH115 had to do with what was supposed to be a pair of TH115 being hit hard. While folks where impressed it was discovered that one of the cables wasn't hooked up to an amp so even more impressive was that a single TH115 was responsible for the first official noise complaint!

Mike Hedden
Danley Sound Labs,Inc.

John Roberts {JR}

« Reply #59 on: February 08, 2007, 04:37:34 PM »

I wonder if might be good etiquette for posters to this thread who casually make statements that turn out to be incorrect, to use the edit function to either correct or note that their comment however vague is disputed.

It's seems to me there is some confusion and perhaps spin going on that may be missed by a latecomer to the thread(s), who didn't read every lick. I appreciate the lengths and effort made by all to collect useful comparable data, as such testing can never be perfect. Let's let the data talk,

JR  
 https://www.resotune.com/

Tune it, or don't play it...
-----
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 22   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 20 queries.