ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Radial ProDI vs. JDI  (Read 13469 times)

Paul Opperman

• http://www.plexproductions.com
Radial ProDI vs. JDI
« on: May 14, 2006, 11:45:17 AM »

Last night I needed another DI quick, so I rushed to GC and bought a Radial ProDI.  I've got the J48 and I guess I'm just wondering if the jensen transformer is worth having in the passive DI as well.

Thanks,

~Paul
Paul Opperman

Jordan Wolf

• http://www.facebook.com/howlingwolf487
Re: Radial ProDI vs. JDI
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2006, 12:56:50 AM »

I have been wondering the same thing.  I hear that Jensen transformers, etc. are made very well and that they, for reasons beyond my conprehension, have a great sonic quality to them.  I'm planning on getting a JDI sometime in the future (whether I find out the difference or not).
Wolf
<><

"A lack of preparation on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."
- Me

"With that much comb filtering you could probably part your hair just by walking through the room." - Dick Rees

Tim Padrick

Re: Radial ProDI vs. JDI - a rambling response
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 05:07:41 AM »

The JDI does sound better than the ProDI.  But it is not a large difference.  I doubt that most folks could tell which was which other than in an A-B comparison.  I consider the active J48 (and Pro48) to be for different applications, and I have not compared them to the passive DIs (or to each other).  The J48 and JDI are well worth the money.  If you aren't Mr. Moneybags, the Pro series are so good that you should get them even if you have to cut back on the smokes and drinks and meals out for a while to afford them.  I kicked myself for waiting so long.

Tony "T" Tissot

• http://www.4dbsound.com
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2006, 04:57:52 PM »

Sort of a dumb question - but;

In additional to typical band gigs and outdoor festival gigs (bands) - I also do some "big band" and the occasional Church pageants and a few regional theater gigs.

Given the cost difference - am I going to really hear the better quality? Is it obvious more in recordings than "live"?

Is the difference more for active instruments rather than bass? etc.

Sounds like you think the investment was worthwhile.
MNGS
ProSoundWeb - Home of 50,000 audio professionals - and two or three curmudgeonly SOBs.

Bryan Shaw

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2007, 04:38:00 PM »

I have used many different direct boxes over the past 17 years, and without a doubt, Radial makes some of the best I have seen.  I personally use the JDI.  When I hooked it up, the first thing I noticed, beside the rugged housing, was a huge increase of clarity in the upper mid-high range.  I would recommend any Radial product to the sound professional.

The Guy

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2007, 05:06:39 PM »

The JDI is my favorite DI box of all time.  I haven't used the Pro-DI but I know that it does not have a Jensen transformer, and will probably not sound quite as good, although build quality is just as good as the JDI.

I reach for the JDI's before the standard offerings from Countryman or BSS.  Excellent sound quality for any DI, let alone a passive!

-JB

Joe Larsen

Re: Radial ProDI vs. JDI
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2007, 10:27:13 AM »

I own a stereo ProDI and it sounds awesome. It doesn't have a Jensen transformer, but the transformer it does have was built specifically for use in the ProDI line, its not some off the shelf cheapo. I don't think you can possibly go wrong with a ProDI, even if it doesn't sound quite as good as a Radial with a Jensen.
Longwave Audiovisual Productions
Pittsbugh, PA
AV System Design, Installation, and Service
www.longwaveav.com

bo putnam

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2007, 02:06:05 PM »

Tony Tissot wrote on Fri, 08 December 2006 13:57

... am I going to really hear the better quality? Is it obvious more in recordings than "live"?
Yes.  And, no, the improvement is certainly audible even "live".  

We did some A/B/C/D comparisons a while back.  The JDI and J48 were the most transparent and natural ("colorless") of any.  When working with them I find I use less strip EQ to get an acoustic sounding natural.  Likewise, the Duplex JDI on keys is a really wonderful sound.  
bo

SOUNDsupport

<font size="1">oops - wrong door...</font>
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 19 queries.