ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Need help with battle of the consultants re: Subs!  (Read 5293 times)

apsully

Re: Need help with battle of the consultants re: Subs!
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2004, 10:21:26 AM »

Glad to hear you are happy with the approach.  It looks like we are definitely going this direction.  Thanks for the input.
Andy

Zach Brady

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2004, 03:04:10 PM »

I say go Aux fed!!! I have been running foh in a youth facility
for  a year or so with  a mackie 32 4 Vlz PRO using aux fed powered jbl m pro 15's (4 of em) I have go the aux going into an eg and through  compressor/expander/gate i  barley use compression but its there to protect those subs from to much punch. But also i like to give  all of my low end a little more punch with some fast attack compression i know, i know its kinda weird but i like how it makes this room sound i already compress the bass and kick but i like to have some overall compression for trax and things.YES go with aux fed i have worked with some great people in the audio world and none said this to be tacky its not quite a conventional as the old ways but hey thats why they r old ways.

later to all,
Zach Brady
Bush in 04

Jerry Nuckolls

• http://www.yellowinkrecords.com
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2004, 08:05:11 PM »

[quote title=AlanH wrote on Mon, 25 October 2004 13:54]
apsully wrote on Mon, 25 October 2004 09:19

There is also the issue of how aux fed subs affects your master faders and subgroups. Example: If the kick is fed to the subs via an aux and a 'rockin' mix achieved on a Sunday evening what happens if the main faders are turned down for the next Sunday morning? The answer is: The mix goes down in level but the aux remains unaffected. Of course, just bringing down the master AUX level an appropriate amount compensates for that.

I like to feed my aux sub to a channel fader on the board and route the direct out to the crossover.  This way, I still have a very quick control of overall sub output.  Some people go as far to mix that channel in a spare sub group (closest to the main fader) and mix with 2 fingers, keeping the levels equal( this cleverly avoids the (wow, thats a lotta bass) in the mix issue.

I also recommend that for most churches (60 percent of my work), they use traditionally crossed over subs because people absolutely will mess with the system, then somebody like me is called to come and fix the system for them, and maybe even retrain the volunteers (or correct old mistakes that volunteers passed to new volunteers).  

I do however recommend the driverack 260 over the driverack PA.  While the PA is great for mobile sound providers with little money and provides acceptable sound (provided you correctly turn the system on), the 260 has a full time RTA and signal routing.  The Ashly does indeed outdistance the driverack in terms of quality of processing, but you get what you pay for. The driverack does have inherantly more available features that I wish ashly would include in a single device and not to have to peacemeal the whole protea line together.( I like to have a graphic eq and 9 bands of parametric and crossover in one box if I am on a digital system).

When getting consultant advice, I always advise my clients of at least 3 solutions and allow them to pick one (or a combination) that fits their budgetary needs.  This way, they know what is out there, what their flexibility will be with the different systems and be able to weigh cost/performance issues.  
Jerry Nuckolls
Acoustics Engineer
Image Media Solutions

Geri O

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2004, 01:18:01 PM »

"The driverack does have inherently more available features that I wish ashly would include in a single device and not to have to peacemeal the whole protea line together.( I like to have a graphic eq and 9 bands of parametric and crossover in one box if I am on a digital system).

With the Ashly's 6 parametrics on each input and 4 parametrics on EACH output, you still need a graphic EQ?? I can see a stand-alone graphic EQ for the changing stage configurations and the need to tweak an occasional errant lapel mic (and then, I'd prefer a parametric EQ instead of a graphic), but for system tuning, there's more than enough there in ther Protea to get the job done, assuming the use of a decent speaker system.
I have tried and tried to like the DriveRack series and I consider myself a pretty flexible kind of guy when it comes to using the various models of gear available, but I just can't get my head around the DR stuff. There's too many people using it and liking it for it not to be good, but I can't and won't recommend it. The Ashly Protea gear has more than met our needs and with 9 pieces in our own rig and over 30 pieces sold with no failures, I'm sold on the Protea stuff.

Geri O
In spite of what many will tell you, I believe that there is indeed life above 80hZ. I just know it!

Jerry Nuckolls

• http://www.yellowinkrecords.com
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2004, 10:21:47 PM »

Geri O wrote on Sun, 14 November 2004 13:18

"The driverack does have inherently more available features that I wish ashly would include in a single device and not to have to peacemeal the whole protea line together.( I like to have a graphic eq and 9 bands of parametric and crossover in one box if I am on a digital system).

With the Ashly's 6 parametrics on each input and 4 parametrics on EACH output, you still need a graphic EQ?? I can see a stand-alone graphic EQ for the changing stage configurations and the need to tweak an occasional errant lapel mic (and then, I'd prefer a parametric EQ instead of a graphic), but for system tuning, there's more than enough there in ther Protea to get the job done, assuming the use of a decent speaker system.
I have tried and tried to like the DriveRack series and I consider myself a pretty flexible kind of guy when it comes to using the various models of gear available, but I just can't get my head around the DR stuff. There's too many people using it and liking it for it not to be good, but I can't and won't recommend it. The Ashly Protea gear has more than met our needs and with 9 pieces in our own rig and over 30 pieces sold with no failures, I'm sold on the Protea stuff.

Geri O

I think you misunderstood the intentions of my post.  I like to use 1 or the other, preferably the parametric for tuning a system.  I was just saying that its nice to have all of those options in 1 box.  I definately agree with the statement on the protea system.  For some reason it just feels better, and Ashly has great support.  I called up to find out that they would repair a 5 year old analog crossover for free and I have never had a failure on the protea line or the analog graphics that we purchased!
Jerry Nuckolls
Acoustics Engineer
Image Media Solutions

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2004, 10:21:47 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 19 queries.