ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Songs that are strong below 35Hz  (Read 43466 times)

Ivan Beaver

Re: Songs that are strong below 35Hz
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2007, 09:26:45 AM »

Ok give us a few bars  Laughing

Would that be a hum or a huuuuuuuuummmmmmmm for the low parts.
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

peter.golde

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2007, 09:42:38 AM »

When I fired my Lab's and played a B-52's track, Song for a Future Generation, it was pretty cool, lots of energy in the low 30's I think. Smile
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer" - Frank Zappa

Andrew Russell NYC

• http://www.sullivanroom.com
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2007, 09:53:37 AM »

I have tons of stuff that kicks between 20-35 I'll measure some stuff...  it is all going to be house music FYI.

here:  

lostep- "theme from a fairytale" *really strong in the 35 range with some nice dips into the 17-20 range*an Stroke

Claude Van Stroke- "Masterbeater" POUNDING about 3/4 of the way through nice long tones.

Michael 'Bink' Knowles

• http://www.binkster.net/index.shtml
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2007, 12:16:50 PM »

John Schmidt wrote on Sat, 20 January 2007 06:10

There are a bunch of songs on the Cosmic Hippo CD from Bela Fleck and the Flecktones that go below 35hz, though I can't remember the specific song titles right now, ('can hum them, though...).

The only one I can hum is the Star Spangled Banner.  Very Happy

That's right, the national anthem on harmonica and banjo. And synth drums.  Cool

index.php/fa/7525/0/

Actually, I never took a liking to this CD but I dusted it off and gave it another listen through Smaart. I'm halfway through and I can say for certain that the first three songs don't go below 40Hz to any great degree but the title track #4 is where the payoff is. Lots of 36.9 thumps on the 'drumitar' that have little downward trending tails.

-Bink
Michael 'Bink' Knowles
www.binkster.net

John Schmidt

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2007, 12:30:08 PM »

Michael 'Bink' Knowles wrote on Sat, 20 January 2007 09:16

I can say for certain that the first three songs don't go below 40Hz to any great degree but the title track #4 is where the payoff is. Lots of 36.9 thumps on the 'drumitar' that have little downward trending tails.

Well, I was just going from memory here - 'seemed lower. And actually, I think that's a 5/6 string bass doing those lows, ('not positive...)

John

Michael 'Bink' Knowles

• http://www.binkster.net/index.shtml
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2007, 12:41:41 PM »

Track 9, "Hole In The Wall," has a some wide bandwidth, low extension kick thumps and a bunch of 43.8Hz bass tones but during a solo banjo bridge the bass line holds a 21.9 Hz tone with a stronger 43.8 harmonic above. Nice.

-Bink
Michael 'Bink' Knowles
www.binkster.net

John Roberts {JR}

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2007, 02:23:07 PM »

While some of the more recent dance tracks may have intentionally included very LF content, not only weren't sub woofers that common in recording studios (not counting film mixers) but songs were often mixed to also sound good on auratones or similar tiny speakers, so any very low bass that was musically significant would surely include lots of harmonics to still be audible when played on typical playback systems. Unless the low bass was mixed dead center mono, it could also cause playback issues with those old round black vinyl thingees.

On the subject of unusual LF content, I seem to recall some seemingly low freq content on Kraftwerk's Autobahn, but never measured by me. Then there's telarc's 1812 overture with a mortar or whatever for the cannon fire.

I suspect too much LF, especially on older stuff is just sloppy engineering. In modern stuff who knows...

JR
 https://www.resotune.com/

Tune it, or don't play it...
-----

Elliot Thompson

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2007, 05:00:41 PM »

Wasn't that the motive behind the "Motown Sound?" To sound very good on 6x9 car speakers?

The artists were very good, but I never liked how it was mastered.
Sounded as if they rolled off everything below 100 Hz, and cut-off everything above 2 Khz.  

Best Regards,
Elliot

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2007, 05:05:12 PM »

I heard that Don Kershner (sp?) used to do his final mix on car speakers, figuring that people spent more time in their cars listening than anywhere else.  

Could be wrong however.
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

John Roberts {JR}

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2007, 05:36:04 PM »

Ivan Beaver wrote on Sat, 20 January 2007 16:05

I heard that Don Kershner (sp?) used to do his final mix on car speakers, figuring that people spent more time in their cars listening than anywhere else.  

Could be wrong however.

A friend of mine had a low power FM transmitter in his studio so he could send a 2-mix to cars in the parking lot and check that it still sounded OK. At the end of the day I guess it needs to sound good in all venues, but you need to be more careful to not sound crappy in any.  

I recall a CD release some years ago using a trick spatial enhancer that wasn't mono compatible. They ended up recalling and reissuing the release because in some markets AM radio was still significant.

JR
 https://www.resotune.com/

Tune it, or don't play it...
-----
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 17 queries.