ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Songs that are strong below 35Hz  (Read 43464 times)

Michael 'Bink' Knowles

• http://www.binkster.net/index.shtml
Songs that are strong below 35Hz
« on: January 18, 2007, 11:36:51 PM »

Bored? Doing some mindless paperwork? Set your playback computer's soundcard to examine itself (recording source = playback) and then fire up your favorite spectrograph program and play some tunes. Glance over every once in a while to see which ones have prominent activity below 35Hz.

I am using Smaartlive and I tweaked it for decent resolution in the LF region. I have the display narrowed to 16-100Hz, sampling rate 32k, FFT 32k, resolution 1.0Hz. I tried some finer resolution settings with a lower sampling rate but the refresh is too slow and drives me crazy.  Mad  

Lots of songs have something down there but not very many have it as strong as the stuff above 50Hz.

Grassy Knoll's The Common Good (from the Positive album) has strong thump stuff happening down in the 33-26 Hz range.

Harold Budd (an ambient kind of guy--think "massage music") put a steady, chorused 29-30Hz tone underneath his A Stream With Bright Fish. Strong at 38-39, too. And 58. And 80.

Incubus' Aqueous Transmission has the occasional 30Hz thump in the bass line.

Jon Hassell and bluescreen in their song Destination: Bakiff (Dressing For Pleasure) get some beefy 32.8 Hz on the first beat of each measure--except where it bumps up to 36.9 Hz. They also drop some 36.9 on the song Sex Goddess.  Cool

No Doubt's Hey Baby does a little downward walking bass line at the end of phrases... it goes 41-37-33.

Korn & NIN: Freak On A Leash... bass line alternates mostly between 36.9Hz sections and 55-58Hz sections.

Peter Gabriel's In Your Eyes gets some good 30Hz bass notes sustaining underneath during the verses. There's also a fairly good 30Hz underpinning in the first half of Passion from the Passion soundtrack, though 60Hz is a lot stronger. Same album gives some nice, long-held synth bass tones underneath solo oboe on With This Love. 32-58Hz... perfect for the house of worship monster sub test. Turn it up, you virtuous madman.   Razz

Lenny Kravitz's redo of American Woman has a pretty complex kick sound which has energy from 20 to 100 and higher. Lots of 39, 37 and a fair amount of 30. Of note is the 50.6 Hz range where the sound stretches out longer in time.

There are a number of Ultra Chilled double CD sets and the first one (numbered 01--there's some jailbait wearing light blue on the cover) has Deep Dish doing My Only Sin with a relentless 37Hz thump along the bottom.  On another track in the set is Massive Attack doing Hymn Of The Big Wheel where you find 29-39-44 serving a I-IV-V bass line. Plus lots of 80Hz faux kick.  Cool

Madonna's Ray Of Light doesn't have a lot of super LF action but there's a notable bit of 22Hz before the bridge and then coming out of the bridge there's a synth chirp sweep progression that starts down at 16Hz (!!) and climbs up.

From another post:

Quote:

Christina Aguilera's Can't Hold Us Down has some 32.8 Hz synth bass action that extends slightly in time past the 65.6 Hz harmonic above it.

The bass in this song serves as the kick drum line as well--makes me think of 808 drum machine... The majority of the song has bass notes that are mostly four 52.1 Hz (probably Ab1) beats followed by a line of 32.8 Hz (probably C1) beats. Some of these are double hits.

-Bink (paperwork is my kingdom tonight)
Michael 'Bink' Knowles
www.binkster.net

Michael 'Bink' Knowles

Re: Songs that are strong below 35Hz
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 01:09:53 AM »

'Nother one:

Fledglyng "Very Juno." Some very low and quick glissandos from a bass synth slide smoothly down from 38 Hz to 16Hz and even further down where I can't measure it. Can't hear it either--my home office isn't set up for such low extension. At all.  o_O

I got this tune off of a vodka company promotional CD. I haven't seen it anywhere else. Not bad for free techno, eh?   Razz  

Fledglyng is apparently a local guy. I had no idea...

-Bink
Michael 'Bink' Knowles
www.binkster.net

Antone Atmarama Bajor

• http://www.geocities.com/somesoundgreat
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 01:22:16 AM »

Thanks MBK!!!

Here's lil' list o' crud from previous post too.

Quote:

I couple I can think of off hand are.

Red Handed (Mission impossible soundtrack) Danny Elfman
Get Low (Lil' John and the east side boys)
Dream Sequence (Amon Tobin: Bricolage)
PIMP (50 Cent)

The Fireworks track from the Danley sound labs site is fun.

I think it is a fantastic Idea to compile this list for the good of the sub bass crazed community.  Its amazing how little recorded music goes into the 30's let alone bellow it (At least with any relationship to the rest of the reproduced spectrum).

More More!!! Very Happy

Antone-

Elliot Thompson

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 10:24:35 AM »

I'm away from my home computer so, I can't measure anything at the moment.

(Rock) Korn - Faget

There's a part that sounds like they sat a turntable on top of a speaker a recorded the rumble. So, I'm going to say 25 - 20 Hertz

(Rock) Kelly Clarkson - Breakaway

At the last chorus the engineer boost 26 - 25-Hertz. I actually posted a graph in the basement, but that was years ago.

(Reggae) Mr. Easy - What Takes Some Idiot

This offers a lot of 40 - 36 Hertz. In fact, there is so much 40 - 36 emphasis that you need to reduce the bass so the mid - highs will keep up.

(Jazz) Phillipe Saisse Trio - Lovely Day

I have yet to measure this. But, you can clearly hear the highly compressed sub notes in the background. I'm going to venture to say around 30 - 31.5 Hertz.

Best Regards,
Elliot

Gareth James

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 01:26:29 PM »

Just thought I'd post since I was looking around for exactly this kind of material the other day. I've just finished building a sub with my friend for his 5.1 system and was suprised (to say the least) when we were testing that we were actually finding it difficult to find tunes with REAL and sustained content in the 18-36hz octave. One such tune that I would definitely have a listen to, (if your as lucky as we were to have a system on hand that can reproduce that low!), would be Micronauts - The Jag  Razz

There are some others that may be of interest to those who don't who don't find such "noise" offensive...

J-Magik - Your Sound (Loud thumpy low sine waves)

Deep Blue(?) - ...(helicopter tune) (near beginning again incredibly low fuzzy bass action)

Dave Rickard

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2007, 04:07:36 PM »

Michael 'Bink' Knowles wrote on Thu, 18 January 2007 21:36

There's also a fairly good 30Hz underpinning in the first half of Passion from the Passion soundtrack, though 60Hz is a lot stronger. Same album gives some nice, long-held synth bass tones underneath solo oboe on With This Love. 32-58Hz... perfect for the house of worship monster sub test. Turn it up, you virtuous madman.   Razz  

Thanks, I'll be doing that.

Dave (a virtuous madman)
Dave
Yorkville dealer

"The wrong piece of gear, at the right price, is still the wrong piece of gear."

"If you don't have good stuff at each end of the signal chain, (mics and speakers) what you use in between is just turd polish."--Dave Dermont

Evan Kirkendall

• http://www.evankirkendall.com
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2007, 08:56:48 PM »

Ive noticed a lot of older jazz songs have a lot of low stuff. Those upright basses give my subs a workout. Ill have to take smaart to the recordings and see just how low the stuff goes.

Evan
Not all change is good change.

Michael 'Bink' Knowles

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2007, 02:01:08 AM »

Evan Kirkendall wrote on Fri, 19 January 2007 17:56

Ive noticed a lot of older jazz songs have a lot of low stuff. Those upright basses give my subs a workout. Ill have to take smaart to the recordings and see just how low the stuff goes.

I'm guessing you'll be surprised. As in surprised and disappointed.   Crying or Very Sad

The few songs I mention above are culled from hundreds of other songs that didn't have super low content. There are bunches of songs I remembered as good subwoofer exercisers but when Smaarted don't show anything unusual below 35. Many have prominent 50-60 action. One I use all the time to blow the dust off has lots of 40Hz but is a vacuum below that.

Nearly every acoustically recorded act I have in my collection is shy of energy south of 35... it's just not part of that 'sound.' Standup bass included.  Sad   You have to open it up to electronic augmentation before you see the monster ultra mega low stuff.

-Bink
Michael 'Bink' Knowles
www.binkster.net

Elliot Thompson

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2007, 08:22:55 AM »

(Drum And Bass) Everything But The Girl - Compression.

Strong continuous frequencies ranging from 34 - 36 Hertz throughout the whole track. This is an ideal song for you have close to 6 minutes of 34 - 36 Hertz. Around 10 dBs higher than 60 Hertz. With 27 Hertz at the same levels as 60 Hertz.

(Adult Country) Michael Buble - Home.

At the passage "And I've been keeping all the letters that I wrote to you" You're looking anywhere from 34 - 30 Hz

(Country Rock) Rascall Flatts - What Hurts The Most.

Bouncing between 42 - 38 Hertz.

(Rock) Teddy Geiger - For You I Will.

Bouncing around 35 - 29 Hz

(Reggaeton) Shakira - Hips Don't Lie.

Strong 30 Hertz emphisis when Wyclif Jean says "A Gal"

Most Reggaeton songs bounce around 37 - 30 Hertz.

(R&B) Alicia Keys - Falling

Not measured. I'm guessing in the low 30's

All the CDs above were SMAART

Best Regards,

Elliot

John Schmidt

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2007, 09:10:43 AM »

There are a bunch of songs on the Cosmic Hippo CD from Bela Fleck and the Flecktones that go below 35hz, though I can't remember the specific song titles right now, ('can hum them, though...).

John
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 18 queries.