ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fire's are quite deadly...  (Read 1634 times)

Evan Kirkendall

• http://www.evankirkendall.com
Fire's are quite deadly...
« on: January 18, 2007, 06:20:29 pm »

I was on my way home from school today and came across a road block on the way to my house. I had no idea why they closed the whole road, but whatever it was caused me to backtrack and go the long way home. Due to the extra time it took to get home my dog decided to leave a present on the floor for me... It was annoying for me, but when I found out what had happened, the dog was no longer a concern:

http://wjz.com/topstories/local_story_018120321.html

I knew the people that lived in that house. Hadn't talked to them in over a year, but I knew them. Its depressing, and knowing that Ill never talk to them again is sad.

I live within a half mile of that house.

Make friends and cherish every second you can get with them. While you never want it to happen, it may be the last time you see them...

Evan
Not all change is good change.

Jon Smith

Re: Fire's are quite deadly...
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 07:35:51 pm »

Evan,

Sad story. Amazing how ones life can change in a split second. You can read about it, see it on the news but when it is so close and someone you know it really brings it home.

Be well,

Jon
My only real worry is they'll solve the problem just before I release my protest song

Life is timing, Living kills you!

Mark Meagher

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 09:01:00 pm »

Evan Kirkendall wrote on Thu, 18 January 2007 18:20

Make friends and cherish every second you can get with them. While you never want it to happen, it may be the last time you see them...

Evan

+1 on that.
The older you get, the more of these type of things you see. It sure doesn't get any easier. You still have more in front of you than you have behind you. Don't forget to follow your own advice. Every now and then we get a wakeup call.

Life isn't a destination, it's a trip. Just keep your hands and feet inside the ride.

David C Nickerson

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 04:12:25 pm »

I was in a raft, guiding a group of my friends down Maine's Dead River when this happened:
http://www.npmb.com/cms2/forum_viewtopic.php?4.53078

(I never responded to the thread on that paddling forum... I didn't think it'd help me with dealing with the incident.)  Pretty frightening to learn later that the totally inconsequential looking hole had killed before.

We were really lucky that Vinnie has totally (physically) recovered, but it definitely brought new perspective on life and my number one recreational activity.

Well said Evan,
David

Evan Kirkendall wrote on Thu, 18 January 2007 18:20

Evan

Tim McCulloch

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2007, 12:37:59 pm »

Evan-

Sorry to hear about this.  These are always tragic.  The story also has a local connection for me, as a local school principal is related to those folk.

http://www.kansas.com/mld/kansas/16505578.htm

These things are humbling, to say the least.

Tim Mc
"Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?" Crack The Sky

Eric Wong!

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2007, 12:45:25 pm »

Yes that's pretty close to some of us MD members as well.  Further reports on the news say there were no working smoke detectors in the house.  Us working pro sound in places where large gatherings occur, we should all be aware of fire regulations etc for our venues, lets not forget our own houses. Make sure theres no overloaded electrical cords, functioning smoke detectors and fire extinguishers, escape plan etc, inventory of stuff incase the worst does happen and for us who keep our PA's at our homes.

Mark Meagher

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2007, 12:53:32 pm »

Tim McCulloch wrote on Sat, 20 January 2007 12:37

Evan-

Sorry to hear about this.  These are always tragic.  The story also has a local connection for me, as a local school principal is related to those folk.

http://www.kansas.com/mld/kansas/16505578.htm

These things are humbling, to say the least.

Tim Mc

With no disrespect intended to the original subject.......
That connection will certainly make you believe in "six degrees of separation".

Ironic how Evan is connected to those folks on his end and you are connected on your end through the pricipal, and you and Evan are connected here. The world is smaller than you think.

Life isn't a destination, it's a trip. Just keep your hands and feet inside the ride.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 19 queries.