ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Cell phones that do everything?  (Read 9051 times)

Ryan McLeod

Re: Cell phones that do everything?
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2007, 10:44:13 AM »

Clarke - I completely forgot to mention the PIN messaging - and yes, it's a lifesaver!

Ryan
"What happens is fact, not truth. Thuth is what we think about what happens"
            -Robert McKee

Robert Presson

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2007, 12:23:04 PM »

I have a Treo 700 (runs windows) and previously I had a Treo 600 which is a palm device.

like others have mentioned, I use the csmera to store settings for channels,and to recall different room settings.  I use the notepad to write down inputs so if I have a problem during the show or someone asks I have the list on me.

I use the internet to lookup info, such as bands' stage plot, to read this forum (like now), and look up specs for equipment or manuals.

on the 600 there is a tuner which is good for the talent during a pinch.  I also use software to calculate focal lengths when I am taking photos after the mix is good..

it also makes a good flashlight in a pinch , although since going to a led flashlight I don't use it as much.  

I think over time we will see digital systems that use mobile smart phones to make eq adjustments.

cheers!
~20 years expereince crafting Audio Pleasures~

DAVID J. SYRKO

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2007, 12:24:46 PM »

Our society is setting itself up for a major problem. During the cold war, they went to great pains to make sure the operating systems were EM pulse hardened. After the cold war, things  became very lax in the interest of mainstreaming products.THEN....you have the reality of the almost system wide crash of the infrastructure.  Remember all the big bucks that were being spent during Y2K?????  Things are getting worse the more people depend on computers and cell phones. Not too long ago I saw a show on future weapons.They have  an EM pulse bomb. If you drove your car under it, it would permanently burn out the electronics in the car.I don't remember the exact numbers for this, but if someone got ahold of one of these, and detonated it 3 miles up, they could wipe out every computer in a state. If they took the same bomb up 30 miles, they could wipe out the whole eastern seaboard. It would take at least 2 months to recover from it if you could at all.

Guthrie Saunders

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2007, 12:29:41 PM »

Tim McCulloch wrote on Sat, 06 January 2007 01:16

Yngve-

Playing songs to announce calls is distracting and unnecessary to me.

Tim Mc

Seriously, this may require some legislation.  Why is it necessary for some obnoxious song to play when someone's phone rings.  I can't even figure out why people do this, to me it's just annoying.
Furthermore, I second the call for a little more simplicity and and functionality out of tech devices instead of extra bells and whistles that are non-essential and distracting.

thomas hocking

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2007, 01:23:53 PM »

The thing that sucks with the new mobile telephones is that the programs that come with them are stripped back. Like you can't add conversions to the converter programs, can't have an intelligent alarm clock and so on. So im considering writing a converter program for different things, among alot of sound measurements. Program will be written in java so it should work with most phones. Any conversions you would like in it that are usefully? I'll probably put it out on source forge after a while.

Geri O'Neil

« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2007, 01:48:56 PM »

Guthrie Saunders wrote on Sat, 06 January 2007 11:29

Tim McCulloch wrote on Sat, 06 January 2007 01:16

Yngve-

Playing songs to announce calls is distracting and unnecessary to me.

Tim Mc

Seriously, this may require some legislation.  Why is it necessary for some obnoxious song to play when someone's phone rings.  I can't even figure out why people do this, to me it's just annoying.
Furthermore, I second the call for a little more simplicity and and functionality out of tech devices instead of extra bells and whistles that are non-essential and distracting.

Half-way tongue in cheek...

I agree about the unnecessary bells and whistles being a distraction, but if you're around me and you suddenly hear Tower of Power's "What Is Hip?" or "Soul Vaccination" playing, it is my phone. Get over it... Twisted Evil

Geri O
Twisted Evil  Twisted Evil
"Stagelite Sound...A Pin 2 hot-compliant company"

Ryan McLeod

« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2007, 03:21:20 PM »

I remember the look on my face when I saw that Billboard Magazine was tracking Ringtone sales.... at least the ring on my crackberry is a normal cell-phone kinda ring.

.... but if I could get "What is hip?" on it, I'd be all over that  Laughing
"What happens is fact, not truth. Thuth is what we think about what happens"
            -Robert McKee

Geri O'Neil

« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2007, 03:37:12 PM »

Ryan McLeod wrote on Sat, 06 January 2007 14:21

I remember the look on my face when I saw that Billboard Magazine was tracking Ringtone sales.... at least the ring on my crackberry is a normal cell-phone kinda ring.

.... but if I could get "What is hip?" on it, I'd be all over that  Laughing

Well, I doubt you'll find that on the ringtone sites. More likely, it's something from Shinedown or Britney. Yuk.

I have the program that allows me to upload my own tunes from the computer to the phone. Yea, I ran out of something to do late one night about 2 years ago.

Geri O
"Stagelite Sound...A Pin 2 hot-compliant company"

Robert Presson

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2007, 05:05:01 PM »

I forgot to mention: I also use my phone to play music / steaming audio.  I did a show during the world series this year, and between sets I played teh streaming audio.  I don;t recommend doing this unless you are certain you've muted phone calls etc.  That would be quite annoying.. hearing the sound guys ring tone peaking the system.  lol
~20 years expereince crafting Audio Pleasures~

Andy Kulhavy

« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2007, 05:14:43 PM »

You can watch future weapons online, from discovery channel's site: http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/future-weapons/weapons/zon e1/weapon-zone-1.html
Just click the video area.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 19 queries.