ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Cell phones that do everything?  (Read 9050 times)

Mac Kerr

• SR Forums
Oh yeah!
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2007, 08:55:25 PM »

The most important sound related thing my phone does is store the phone numbers of my clients and vendors. Unfortunately the Razr is a little sensitive to placement for hearing. I'm pretty happy with it but for that. And I do like the camera for when I forget my real camera.

Mac

Yngve Hoeyland

Re: Oh yeah!
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2007, 09:01:14 PM »

Hope you don't reveal all of your government secrets over the phone:

Article quotes:

Nextel and Samsung handsets and the Motorola Razr are especially vulnerable to software downloads that activate their microphones, said James Atkinson, a counter-surveillance consultant who has worked closely with government agencies. "They can be remotely accessed and made to transmit room audio all the time," he said. "You can do that without having physical access to the phone."

What idiot in the branding dept. misspelled that...Razr.. now THAT I DO have a problem with - SMS-speak..)

EDIT: Quote fix.
"Stupidity has a certain charm - ignorance does not." (Zappa)

Alex Schultz

Re: Cell phones that do everything?
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2007, 09:33:08 PM »

Me too Tim................ Make it ring, make it talk, keep a list of phone numbers. No more, no less.........

Besi of Days
Never underestimate the danger of stupid people in powerful positions.

Knowledge is the information acquired while searching for an answer, not the answer itself.

Alex S

Michael Dahlen

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2007, 09:43:14 PM »

When I dont have any crib sheets available I use my phone to take picture(s) of the console after each soundcheck so I can dial it back to my settings. The zoom function and good resolution works excellent for this use. I do the same with rack mounted equipment.

The only problem I might have with this, is that the camera is not that good under poor lighting conditions, so if I have to use the flash it tends to reflect in the surface of the console, making the picture go white. I have to try and fail a little bit to find the right angle.

But even if I have crib sheets, but not the luxury of time, I snap a pic of the console, and transfer the settings to the crib sheets when I have time.

Ivan Beaver

Re: Cell phones that do everything?-Analog old days
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2007, 09:44:06 PM »

I bought my first cell phone back in the 80's.  It was mounted in my truck and cost over $1000.00.  A LOT of money back then.  Hard to swallow and .35/minute + monthly charge, but well worth it-business wise.  Saved my butt several times.

It was 5 watts and analog.  IT WORKED EVERYWHERE!!! untill I got on the fringe edges of coverage, and even then when the noise was louder than the signal I could still make out what was being said.  With digital you get all sorts of breakups and you have no idea what is being said.

Our society is so hooked on gadgets, rather than actual intended performance, we are willing to deal with less than decent performance in order to get to "play".

PS I don't have a camera on my phone and can't get email.  At least the buttons are a decent size so my fingers can actually hit the right ones.  
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Ryan McLeod

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2007, 12:35:03 AM »

Up until 6 months ago, I felt the same way about wanting my phone to be "just a phone".... then I got a Crackberry.

As a Phone, I will honestly say that it's the best sounding cell phone I've ever heard, and the speakerphone works quite well. It communicated to MS Outlook and syncs your address book & contacts. I also get e-mail on it (from two different accounts) and has a 2-way radio feature that I use often, as many of my clients use them as well - honestly the best thing I could have ever done to communicate with the outside world (although, I could do without the sms-speak....)  I know several people that run their entire small business with one.

I always thought that I didn't want, need for want to shell out the coin for the pricy phone plus the expensive data service plan. Now I can communicate better and faster with my clients - and it's paid for itself many times over.

The only real problem with it? Once someone knows you have one and you don't respond to an e-mail in 60 seconds flat, they feel ignored (I know someone that received an e-mail from a client at 8:30am, then again at 8:35, 8:36, 8:37 and 8:40. at 8:45am they got an e-mail saying that they "must not want their business" and he lost the contract  Confused

...anyone else out their hooked on the 'berry?

"What happens is fact, not truth. Thuth is what we think about what happens"
            -Robert McKee

Jake Scudder

• http://www.jakescudder.com
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2007, 02:12:19 AM »

I've got a Treo.  I've also got the Jabra bluetooth headset so I've become one of "those guys".  You can make fun of me all you want but being able to sync the contact list to the computer is a real life saver.  Ever lost a phone or had it break beyond repair?  Better hope you wrote all those numbers down.  Also, in true theatre fashion, our notes sessions typically extend to the local watering hole and it's nice to be able to open up the sound plot spreadsheet on my phone and make notes or changes for the next day.  

Primarily it's a phone but it also makes a good backup for the laptop or camera in a pinch.

Jonathan Heimberg

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2007, 04:57:52 AM »

LOL

My Razr has got a 'Moto Mixr' on it (I think vowels went up with the gas prices), I can be a 'Real live DJ on my cell phone!'

Clarke LaPlante

• http://www.clarkelaplante.com
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2007, 05:06:24 AM »

Ah, yes... the Crackberry.  Got my first one in '05, as most of the rest of our crew had 'em, plus T-Mobile had better (international) long distance rates than Verizon.  Then we discovered the *free* Blackberry to Blackberry PIN (text) messaging - that saved my marriage during my first Euro tour.  Cool

Recently upgraded to the Pearl, which opens up another aspect in that it's possible to pair the Pearl w/ a Mac laptop via Bluetooth, enabling a pseudo-high-speed internet connection (download, at least).  

As I've mentioned before, just be aware of the handshake noise that can and will make its way into everything if your handset is in close proximity to anything electronic in the audio chain.  I'm very close to implementing a no Blackberry's on stage policy because of the horrible noise they introduce into the monitors if left lying carelessly about - particularly if your talent is on in-ears.  Evil or Very Mad

-Clarke
"Friends don't let friends mix monitors."
My slice of the www.

Stuart Hogg

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2007, 10:20:31 AM »

In my opinion, the worst phone add-on by far is the dB meter included with certain types of Nokia. I've no idea what weighting it uses, what the calibration's like, or what kind of pinhead-sized mic they put on it, but none of that bothers the people who see a big number on it and wave the thing in your face.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 19 queries.