ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Cell phones that do everything?  (Read 7846 times)

Yngve Hoeyland

Cell phones that do everything?
« on: January 05, 2007, 07:19:19 pm »

I know a lot of sound people (possibly by nature since we also like big things with flashy knobs on them) carry pretty advanced cell phones around with them.

As you're aware cell phones used to be just that - telephones. What used to be a 'dumb' device ten years ago is now a high-tech computer (vendors are talking about the "user experience" of phones now - catch my drift?).

Personally I'm a gadget person. I'm guessing a lot of you guys are too...?  Embarassed I just replaced my Nokia 9500 with a SE M600i and it does all sorts of things. Point is - are any of you using any cell apps that help you with your sound work - anything ranging from practical little things like wavelength converters to more advanced stuff like ... well I don't know.

So bring out your inner gadget freak...

*off to slay some full-screen 3d animated virtual dragons*
"Stupidity has a certain charm - ignorance does not." (Zappa)

Craig Leerman

• http://www.techworksvegas.com
Re: Cell phones that do everything?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 07:22:49 pm »

Here is my new phone!   Shocked

index.php/fa/7233/0/
I'm so old, when I was doing FOH for Tommy Dorsey, to balance out the horn section I would slide their chairs downstage and upstage to mix!

Yngve Hoeyland

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 07:26:48 pm »

That thing qualifies for a rigging certificate!  Laughing

Chris Davis

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2007, 07:32:51 pm »

FBI taps cell phone mic as eavesdropping tool
http://news.com.com/2100-1029_3-6140191.html

Confused

John Ward

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007, 07:34:25 pm »

I tried mixing on mine but the preamps really suck. Works well for digital delay at times, especially when I don't want it to.
"Suck It Up and Step Out. It's not the things you wish for or whine about that comes about. It's the things you passionately want in life that makes all the difference." Dr.Scott Knight

Tim McCulloch

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2007, 08:16:25 pm »

Yngve-

I might be in the minority, but I want my cellphone to be a PHONE.  I want it to work in RF-unfriendly places like big concrete and steel buildings, in basements, etc.  It must work in urban and rural areas equally well.

I want it to have stunningly clear voice communication, both sending and receiving.  You probably aren't familiar with Sprint's old commercials that bragged on their audio quality, "pin drop."  Now, we probably can't hear the damn phone drop on the ground.  Voice quality pretty much sucks.

I want a phone with sufficient AF output that I can  hear the damn thing without finding the 1 mm^2 spot on it that contains the "speaker."

My phone should NOT: Play MP3s, video/tv/movies, perform still or video camera functions, or play games.  It need not be a GPS unit.  It can have a simple phone "ring."  Playing songs to announce calls is distracting and unnecessary to me.

This probably makes me some kind of communications Luddite, but I want my phone to ONLY BE A PHONE, and a good phone at that.  They can take the rest of that shit and strip it out of handset and make the goddamn thing work like a phone.  Nothing more, nothing less.  And if you want to know my real feelings.... Wink

There.  I feel better now.  Aren't you glad you asked? Laughing

Have fun (but leave the cellphone out of it)!

Tim Mc
"Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?" Crack The Sky

Bennett Prescott

• http://www.adraudio.com
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2007, 08:40:59 pm »

Tim, I'm with you 100%. I want it to be small, durable, and have great reception and battery life. I'm not willing to sacrifice any of those, especially the last two.
-- Bennett Prescott
Director of North American Sales
ADRaudio d.o.o.
Cell: (518) 488-7190

"Give me 6dB and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

Jonathan 'JP' Peirce

• http://www.5pointeps.com
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2007, 08:42:12 pm »

Yngve Hoeyland wrote on Fri, 05 January 2007 19:19

are any of you using any cell apps that help you with your sound work - anything ranging from practical little things like wavelength converters to more advanced stuff like ...

Mixing?
http://homepage.mac.com/jpeirce/PM5D_Video/Menu106.html

JP
Jonathan 'JP' Peirce
5 Point Event Production Services, LLC
http://www.5PointEPS.com

Yngve Hoeyland

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2007, 08:44:12 pm »

Tim,

thanks for your rant -  I knew this was opening a can of worms, so go ahead and fire your guns people.

I used to share your opinion on the subject, but now that the 'real' space age is long gone... Rolling Eyes and landing an IT server on mars is the gov's next big investment...well I found myself bringing my laptop everywhere to have e-mail capabilities. Now with my all-fancy-flashy I've got everything I need right in my pocket. I rely on e-mail to keep in touch with clients (studio and live), receiving and distributing various documents and files.. in short I'm out of business without email and web.

So yes, I understand your viewpoint and ofcourse this is all down to each individual.. However, the possibilities are there and I for one use them.

Now that I'm as good as married to my "phone" I'm thinking what else can it do for me - I carry it with me anyway so lets try and put it to some good use..?

Yngve Hoeyland

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2007, 08:54:47 pm »

yeah like....

Jonathan 'JP' Peirce wrote on Fri, 05 January 2007 19:42

Mixing?
http://homepage.mac.com/jpeirce/PM5D_Video/Menu106.html

JP

Wow that is actually a way more practical app for it than I'd imagine! Great contribution - thanks!

YH
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 21 queries.