ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The EAW thread...and a Jeremy Clarkson DVD  (Read 1540 times)

Gareth James

The EAW thread...and a Jeremy Clarkson DVD
« on: December 29, 2006, 11:10:43 am »

I was given a Jeremy Clarkson DVD for christmas ("the good the bad the ugly") and it made me think of the ongoing debate over EAW moving manufacturing out to China.

First of all the DVD is a pretty anti-american affair but still raises some valid points. Although not all the "tests" were exactly apples to apples it served to highlight the fact that when it comes to cars american engineering is severely lacking.

As Clarkson points out though this is mainly due to the US's inherently "disposable" culture, but it still got me thinking. Someone else said in the EAW thread that Japan is laughing at Chinas early attempts at making cars.

Well the US have been making cars for years if I'm not mistaken and with a few exceptions aside, most of them get equally laughed at by many Japanese and European manufacturers.

I think the point it raises is that every industry is different, and just because a country is bad at one thing doesn't mean they're bad at everything related across the board.

I get the distinct impression from reading the EAW thread that feelings about job losses "at home" are clouding peoples judgements on the real world issue. Will it affect the end product quality?

I'm pretty sure a company like EAW would have tested the water before diving in and don't think people should be making snap judgements before the results are in.

On the other hand if its simply the fact an american firm is outsourcing manufacturing somewhere else then obviously that is completely up to you.

What however would you buy if all the other major US manufacturers followed suit?

I was going to try and resist also mentioning the ongoing Crown debate but it seems relevant here. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the XTi series built "in the east" and the I-tech in the US.

Which series would you say is suffering the most problems so far and how much of a factor would you say the place of manufacture had to do with it?

Bill Scorzo

Re: The EAW thread...and a Jeremy Clarkson DVD
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2006, 01:59:54 pm »

ITs all a matter of economics. Every major manufacturer, for the most part, has manufacturing facilities in China. QSC, JBL, Shure, EV, Klark and manufacture stuff overseas. As long as the proper quality control measures are in place and followed the quality SHOULD be acceptable. Look at the prices on gear in the past 10 years- when I first got into the biz a $1000 24 channel console was unheard of, affordable, decent amplifier power is plentiful, signal processing is more affordable than ever. If a company wants to be competive on a large scale, it appears as if they really do not have a choice but to move some of their manufacturing overseas.

Dave Barnett

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2006, 08:17:47 pm »

Don't forget that every one of us is posting here from a computer in which most of the components came from China.

Ryan Lantzy

• http://www.lhsoundandlight.com
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2006, 02:39:01 am »

Dave Barnett wrote on Fri, 29 December 2006 20:17

Don't forget that every one of us is posting here from a computer in which most of the components came from China.

Finally someone who gets it.

Ryan Lantzy
"In the beginner's mind the possibilities are many, in the expert's mind they are few."

David Buehler

• http://www.audioexcellence4u.com
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2006, 04:36:54 am »

Supposedly the CDi/XTi/DSi series are built right in elkhart. Dunno if some of the PCB are populated outside of the country. If i recall the XS and XLS series are built in china.
David Buehler
Production & Systems Manager
Audio Excellence
New Mexico's Premire Event Production Company
Audio - Video - Backline - Lighting - Staging & Roofs - Barricade - Crewing - Production Management & Design

Gareth James

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2006, 08:02:38 am »

David I believe you may be right there, so I'll delete the Crown references in my OP as they're no longer relevant.

Ryan and Dave, I personally couldn't give a shit where gear is made as long as it performs as good as it cost.

My main concern is people who are vainly trying to stem an almost inevitable sway of economic power in certain industries because they don't want to see their own countries economic situation in that industry harmed. I share the sentiments but I for don't necessarily see it as a huge disaster looming.

General industry in Britain has been on the decline for years but its being replaced by a pretty stable service industry, one which "audio professionals" are already a part of.

The service and informations industries are going to be the main earners for countries such as US/UK and some of europe in a few years and I personally think we should concentrate on that instead of a losing battle.

David Little

• http://www.dblittle.com
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2006, 12:46:02 pm »

Gareth James wrote on Sat, 30 December 2006 08:02

...My main concern is people who are vainly trying to stem an almost inevitable sway of economic power in certain industries because they don't want to see their own countries economic situation in that industry harmed...

Gareth,
There is no power shift. The only affected parties are the assembly workers. The profits still come back to the same shareholders that owned the company before outsourcing.

This is not the same economic dynamic the US experienced in '70s and '80s where the Japanese imported cars and exported profits. I think most people are overlooking that fact. To even try and make a simple analogy between the auto industry and pro audio is apples to oranges and will only confuse this issue.

US manufacturers are not the first to do this - Grundig offshored automotive electronics manufacturing to Japan back in the early '80s... Studiomaster moved manufacturing to India...
David Little
http://dblittle.com/catalog
http://www.dblittle.com/catalog/images/dblit310x90b.gif
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 22 queries.