ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: crown amps xs vs. xls  (Read 2163 times)

John Pinchin

crown amps xs vs. xls
« on: December 29, 2006, 09:32:31 AM »

Hi,
Really sorry to ask this, as I suspect it's come up loads of time but the search isn't finding much in the way of comparisons.

A local(ish) dealer has an offer on crown amps at the moment but I'm struggling to see a huge difference between the xls series and the xs.

As I see it other than cosmetics the xls come with slightly hgier power ratings and an extra led (fault as well as signal and clip).

Anyone have any opinions on the differences between them.

(I'm toying with getting an xls602  or an xs500)

Thanks
John

Tom Manchester

• http://www.electrosoundsystems.com
Re: crown amps xs vs. xls
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2006, 03:27:40 PM »

Xs all the way. The XLS just look like toys to me. You get a higher quality amp with more features and a switching power supply that's light on the AC lines with the XS. Musiciansfriend has the xs series on sale (or atleast they did) for good prices.
-Tom
Electro Sound Systems

John Pinchin

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2006, 04:41:06 PM »

Thanks Tom,

I'd figured that the XS would be higher quality as most dealers seems to charge more for them than the XLS.

It just seemed a bit odd that someone would make 2 similar ranges of amp - roughly the same weight, power and price.

Cheers
John

Tom Manchester

• http://www.electrosoundsystems.com
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2006, 05:11:07 PM »

There used to be a pretty big difference between the 2 when they first came out but they have done several upgrades to the xls series. I would only consider the XLS series for DJ speaker on stick type stuff, or an application where they wouldn't be pushed hard, like driving HF components (tweeters). I don't think that they are a bad amp, just not terribly rugged. That's just my opinion though.
-Tom
Electro Sound Systems

John Pinchin

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2006, 07:29:10 PM »

Thanks again Tom,

More reading has just confirmed what you've said. I was thinking about getting one (or 2) of the yamaha p5000s but I'm now planning on getting the xs700  (or perhaps the xs900 while they're on offer)

Cheers
John
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 19 queries.