ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can you find better.  (Read 13851 times)

Nathan Lehouillier

Re: Can you find better.
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2007, 02:00:55 PM »

Hi Sheldon,

I mentioned this driver in an earlier post.
The major problem is it is discontinued.
I would be interested in finding these
drivers if you know were to get them.
I would think they were fairly expensive
in their day.

Nate KDS&L
Trust Me I'm a "PRO" Wink

Antone Atmarama Bajor

• http://www.geocities.com/somesoundgreat
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2007, 03:56:21 PM »

Oh if I said Sd, I was confused I really meant Vas, Vas I belive is more important than Sd when it comes to air displacement.

4 12" drivers have about the same Vas as 1-18" driver.

The EV looks like a fine driver down to about 30Hz in "clasic flat".  It does really well in a shelved box about the same Vt as 4 Lab 12's also.  Infact models almost the same SPL around 20Hz.  The Labs have 2X the power handling.  Certainly a great driver though.  To bad EV ditched it.  Its a much better sub driver than the JBL 2245 was.

Antone-

sheldon harris

« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2007, 06:15:10 PM »

Nathan Lehouillier wrote on Sun, 21 January 2007 15:00

Hi Sheldon,

I mentioned this driver in an earlier post.
The major problem is it is discontinued.
I would be interested in finding these
drivers if you know were to get them.
I would think they were fairly expensive
in their day.

Nate KDS&L

i have no idea what the cost was as i acquired them by mistake when i was ordering evx180s which was about just under 300.00 a piece back then.
i am going to check to see if i still have the frames (i know i have dozens of evx frames that i never got around to re-coning.
The things we would do in the quest to attain the highest Levels of Sound! the Pressure that is!

Peter Harris

« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2007, 10:28:40 PM »

Antone,
I am a newbe. I have a related question: is the LAB12 OK for a transmission line application?
I am building a Bailey TL enclosure and looking for a suitable driver.
Thanks for any6 good advice,
Peter

Antone Atmarama Bajor

« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2007, 02:13:59 AM »

That depends on what range you want your TL to operate at I suppose.  I thought most TL cabs where "full range" designs  Using the driver mounted on the face of a TL cover a relatively wide range, and possibly mounting a Tweeter on top for better HF extension.

If you want a basic 2 way TL speaker I would say probably not your best choice.

I haven't done much real TL Modeling.  I've tried plugging in the dimensions I might use for a TL segment into HORN RESP and seeing what its undamped response might look like but I don't know if its really a valid approach.

However I do think that Tom Danleys Tapped horns like the DTS-20 can be thought of much like a complex multi segmented Transmission line.  It uses a driver rumored to be a variation on the Lab 12, and is most probably the most powerful subwoofer of its size on the planet.

I would investigate some of the modeling softwares that are TL specific.  That may give you a better Idea of what can be done with the Lab12 in a TL.  If you want to get response down to at least 20Hz I think it will have to be a rather large or long TL cab/path.

Hope that helps some, as I have no specific answer for you.

Good Luck!!

Antone-

Peter Harris

« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2007, 02:48:03 AM »

Thanks Antone. I will be using a single TL as a woofer together with a pair of Bose 601 that will cover mid and high range and I plan to cut off the TL close to 1000hz.My amp is a Rotel RA 1062 65W and I have a panel amp also 65W for the woofer with integral adjustable crossover. The set up is for home hi fi . I want to do the TL to replace an Isobaric woofer which is flat but not tight...very vague.
How do you think the crossover will go? I am told to avoid a summing passive crossover.?
Peter.

Antone Atmarama Bajor

« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2007, 11:44:26 PM »

Lab 12 is not good much past 150-200HZ  I try not to use mine over 80Hz.

If you wanted to make an acceptable passive xover it would have to be custom designed and optimzed.  You will probably have better luck with an active Xover.

65 Watts??  A little under powered for the Lab 12.

I'm guessing this is all just for a home stereo.

I can't make any value judgement on the Isobaric, as I know what Isobaric is but that doesn't tell me anything else specific about components and design parameters.

It being flat but not a tight sounding subwoofer doesn't really mean anything to me.  As I don't know what your bassis for comparison, but makes me fell that you may be falling for the legend of the Subwoofer with good Transient response, which is a contradiction.

Anyhow Sounds like fun, I suspect it will need to be quite large.

Antone-

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 20 queries.