ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Typical NooB Subwoofer Question  (Read 3411 times)

Whit Hutchinson

Typical NooB Subwoofer Question
« on: January 27, 2007, 06:09:00 AM »

We are a 4 piece hard rock bad (covering the current hard rock stuff (Saliva, 3 Doors down, Fuel,  Crossfade, Chevelle...ect)  

I will need to purchase a pair of subs for the upcomming spring season.  

We currently run 2x PVDJ 2x15" x 1" on each side for tops powered by a PV 2600 @ 4 ohm Stereo (dont laugh too much..they are very efficent and get plenty loud for small gigs that we do).  

I will be in the market for a pair of 1x18" subs or 2x18" subs when we start to gig again.  From you guys experience what is the best "bang for the buck" amp/sub combo that I will need for the kick drum to hit plenty hard and to feel the D-G strings of the Bass?

Our budget will be <$2,000  Thanks alot guys!!!!

*edit*

I am aware of the peavey QW line and SP stuff.  I am just looking for other options.  
I have learned in my life:

-Pretty girls don't stay single long
- KF 850s  over SB 1000s per side was designed to be a percussion instrument rather than a "soundpretty thing".

Michael 'Bink' Knowles

• http://www.binkster.net/index.shtml
Re: Typical NooB Subwoofer Question
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2007, 01:21:49 PM »

Are you going to buy an amp as well? Or are you looking at self-powered speakers? What's going to feed the subwoofers--a crossover? What model?

-Bink
Michael 'Bink' Knowles
www.binkster.net

Whit Hutchinson

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2007, 02:38:42 PM »

Well powered subs are an option but we will go amp and subs if its more bang for the buck.   We do not currently have an x-over or sub amp.   That would come with this purchase.  (Used 2 way x-overs are cheap anyway Smile )
I have learned in my life:

-Pretty girls don't stay single long
- KF 850s  over SB 1000s per side was designed to be a percussion instrument rather than a "soundpretty thing".

Dave Rickard

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2007, 05:09:43 PM »

Take a look at the Yorkville LS808.  Efficient, good sounding box you could use with your current amp, at least for now.  Bigger than the LS608's, but out performs them.

LS800P is the powered carpeted version, LS800PB in black paint.  I'd give the powered versions serious consideration.  Crossover included.  Read the literature well.

Is DIY an option?  Fitzmaurice horns work well but don't skimp on the number of boxes.  Do it right, or not at all.
Dave
Yorkville dealer

"The wrong piece of gear, at the right price, is still the wrong piece of gear."

"If you don't have good stuff at each end of the signal chain, (mics and speakers) what you use in between is just turd polish."--Dave Dermont
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 21 queries.