ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Meyer or Nexo?  (Read 11314 times)

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: Meyer or Nexo?
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2011, 08:28:45 PM »

Hmm ok, I might need to start looking into upgrading speakers then.

What makes you think one opinion on the Internet is definitive? What can you do with the 2 PS10s you have now. With 2 more you will about double the area you can cover at the same levels. You need to listen to your existing speakers arrayed with a splay of about 50 between the centerlines of the speakers to determine if the comb filtering is acceptable, and to determine how big an area you can cover. This should give you an idea of whether or not getting 2 more PS10s is the way to go.

Adding more speakers doesn't add very much SPL, it adds more area with the same SPL. If you need significantly higher SPL levels you need bigger speakers. The UPA-2s you first mentioned would get a little bit louder than the PS10s, but they are pretty old, and only a little louder. If you need to cover 100 wide at significantly higher SPL you may want to move up to significantly bigger speakers.

Mac

Cameron M Gunn

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2011, 08:32:23 PM »

What makes you think one opinion on the Internet is definitive? What can you do with the 2 PS10s you have now. With 2 more you will about double the area you can cover at the same levels. You need to listen to your existing speakers arrayed with a splay of about 50 between the centerlines of the speakers to determine if the comb filtering is acceptable, and to determine how big an area you can cover. This should give you an idea of whether or not getting 2 more PS10s is the way to go.

Adding more speakers doesn't add very much SPL, it adds more area with the same SPL. If you need significantly higher SPL levels you need bigger speakers. The UPA-2s you first mentioned would get a little bit louder than the PS10s, but they are pretty old, and only a little louder. If you need to cover 100 wide at significantly higher SPL you may want to move up to significantly bigger speakers.

Mac

Upgrading has been on the back of my mind for a while. I think I'll see if I can find a pair I can rent for a gig or 2 just try it for myself.

Tim Talbot

• True Sound Hire
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2011, 08:40:26 PM »

Hmm ok, I might need to start looking into upgrading speakers then.

Have you thought about adding some Nexo subs to the system ?
A pair of nexo ls500s, pair of PS15's and PS10 as delays would cover 500 +

Cameron M Gunn

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2011, 08:46:25 PM »

Have you thought about adding some Nexo subs to the system ?
A pair of nexo ls500s, pair of PS15's and PS10 as delays would cover 500 +

I've been renting subs, normally either a pair of Renkus DRS18-2B's or a pair of EV QRx218. Both easily outrun the PS10's.

Tim Talbot

• True Sound Hire
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2011, 09:11:41 PM »

Is there anywhere you can hire some Nexo subs... as Nexo is meant to be a turnkey system so by using it with different subs you might not get the best results.

Ls500 + PS15 is a lovely combo 

Cameron M Gunn

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2011, 09:17:27 PM »

Is there anywhere you can hire some Nexo subs... as Nexo is meant to be a turnkey system so by using it with different subs you might not get the best results.

Ls500 + PS15 is a lovely combo

I don't think we have any local nexo dealers or production companies here that do. EAW, Meyer and EV are the main brands here, there's not much else.

Tim Talbot

• True Sound Hire
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2011, 09:29:24 PM »

Then maybe changing over to something like EV might be a better choice for you in the long run so when or if you ever need to hire more kit in its easy to get hold of.

ZX5's are nice and am 90% you can get active ones as well.

Cameron M Gunn

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2011, 09:38:16 PM »

Then maybe changing over to something like EV might be a better choice for you in the long run so when or if you ever need to hire more kit in its easy to get hold of.

ZX5's are nice and am 90% you can get active ones as well.

I don't think there's any ZX5's around. EV QRx and X-Array, EAW KF650's and up, and Meyer UPA/UPQ series are what I can think of locally off the top of my head. I'm planning a system upgrade soon anyways so I'll add speakers to the list of things I need to start demoing.

Tim Talbot

• True Sound Hire
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2011, 09:49:47 PM »

Well good luck and let us know how you get on matey

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2011, 09:49:47 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 22 queries.