ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: LED Shootout....The beginning  (Read 45672 times)

brian dunard

Re: LED Shootout....The beginning
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2006, 03:11:25 AM »

Anyone know what can this one is:

http://www.cheaplights.com/store/

It looks like the ADJ you have but you say yours has 5mm and they say this one has 10mm.  They also say it is as bright as a 500 Watt Par Can...but who knows.  Generally this company gets their stuff from the people who make stuff for Chauvet and ADJ.

Dean Riley

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2007, 04:13:56 AM »

Craig Leerman wrote on Sat, 23 December 2006 04:34

Not necessarily.  The ADJ can is a good unit. The Wiedamark can is a little brighter but the ADJ can has a nice large wide beam.  I could see using either on a gig. .......

You were so right. The ADJ LED's did great as front wash. Just two on each side on a 20' stage. I didn't get to use the Wiedamark can I ordered but I did A/B them at the shop. The Wiedamark has real nice hard edge and more narrow focus. I think I will get 3 more and have two of each LED can per side. I wish the ADJ can came in polished aluminum and just 4 channels. Anything like that out there? "Compares to the Wiedamark in brightness, but has a wider focus like the ADJ, and only four channels?
Dean

"Been there, done that!"

Langston Holland

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2007, 12:53:13 PM »

Dean wrote on Mon, 01 January 2007:

You were so right. The ADJ LED's did great as front wash. Just two on each side on a 20' stage. I didn't get to use the Wiedamark can I ordered but I did A/B them at the shop. The Wiedamark has real nice hard edge and more narrow focus. I think I will get 3 more and have two of each LED can per side. I wish the ADJ can came in polished aluminum and just 4 channels. Anything like that out there? "Compares to the Wiedamark in brightness, but has a wider focus like the ADJ, and only four channels?

Maybe the Weidamark with a diffusion gel would get you there:

http://www.wiedamark.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&P rodID=2580
God bless you and your precious family - Langston

Soundscapes <><

Adam Whetham

• Grand Forks, ND
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2007, 08:09:30 PM »

I have 10 of the P64LED's from ADJ for my DJ Rentals, and other small things. They work good as truss warmers in some places. We just used them as a wash for a new years event. they looked really nice. Nothing like a Par 56 or 64 for front lighting, but They did a great job at looking nice and providing a good stage wash.

I am realy interested in the wiedamark Cans now also. Look forward to reading more!
-I practice safe excursion on the weekends.

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -Paul Neal "Red" Adair

Craig Leerman

• http://www.techworksvegas.com
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2007, 08:59:51 PM »

Quote:

WOW, maybe all my bitching about a  lack of frame clips has paid off.

I'll start a new rant.....Weidamark cans should be free!   Twisted Evil hahahaha

Actually, if they made a long nose version with frame clips, I would have bought at least 60 of them by now.

I'm so old, when I was doing FOH for Tommy Dorsey, to balance out the horn section I would slide their chairs downstage and upstage to mix!

Steve Thomas

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2007, 10:26:18 AM »

Hmm...

I have not seen this one.

I find it hard to believe it compares to a 500W PAR.

I wish they could back that statement up with LUX measurements at 15 ft.

Dean Riley

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2007, 01:48:06 PM »

Langston Holland wrote on Mon, 01 January 2007 12:53

Dean wrote on Mon, 01 January 2007:

http://www.wiedamark.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&P rodID=2580

Thanks, what did you have to go and show me that for? Confused

So many choices, I'm so confused. No but realy. I like that Can with the gel clips. Anyone want to but one without? Twisted Evil
Dean

"Been there, done that!"

Andrew Nissley

strobing
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2007, 11:52:14 AM »

nice work on the review, i had a couple questions if you could:

i picked up the chauvet can to try it out, and about the other cans you tried:

first... do they all do that sort of stuttery somewhat awkward fading, or is there one better than the others in that regard?

second... do any of them strobe any faster than the rain56 (if they have the capability)?  i'd like to get strobes for our setup anyway, but apparently my thought that the LED can would strobe fast enough to pull double duty was severly misplaced. (one can turn a lightswitch on and off faster than the chauvet "strobes")

(in retrospect i think i should have gotten the weidamarks instead but... oh well.  too much hope for decent strobe capability.)

-a

Craig Leerman

• http://www.techworksvegas.com
Re: strobing
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2007, 02:05:41 PM »

Quote:

first... do they all do that sort of stuttery somewhat awkward fading, or is there one better than the others in that regard?

I didn't notice any "stuttery fading" or bad fading on ANY of the cans I tested when used with a console. You may have a bad can, bad cable, bad data stream, a bad board, or your board is outputting 8 bit (low resolution) DMX and the fixture requires 16 bit. I also terminated the cans I tested. That might solve your problem.

Quote:

second... do any of them strobe any faster than the rain56 (if they have the capability)?  

While every can I tried offers a built in strobe mode, some are better than others.  However, you can always use a console to strobe any LED can. Simply set up a chase on the console to flash a single color, or multi colors on the can. Use the console's chase speed and you have a great slow to fast strobe.
I'm so old, when I was doing FOH for Tommy Dorsey, to balance out the horn section I would slide their chairs downstage and upstage to mix!

Andrew Nissley

Re: strobing
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2007, 11:01:10 PM »

just for testing it, i'm using a leprecan 612 controller (borrowed, but it's not set up in any bizarre way that i'm aware of) and the unit is terminated.  it's connected with a 5 to 3 pin 12" adapter cable (mic cable, not dmx, but at this length does it even matter?)

what i mean by stuttering is, if you go from 255 to 0 in a short amount of time, the LEDs don't go down totally smooth, they sort of stair step off.  a ~1s manual fade seems to make the light go through a choppy 6 or 7 levels of brightness to off or fully on.  

the only thing i can compare it to is like framerates on video, it's like a 30fps light fade crammed down to 5fps.  if i fade it up super slow, it's smooth, and really fast it's not noticable.  

dunno.

-a
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 18 queries.