ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: bulk DMX cable  (Read 20644 times)

Ryan Lantzy

• http://www.lhsoundandlight.com
bulk DMX cable
« on: December 20, 2006, 09:17:05 AM »

Anyone know where I can get bulk DMX cable.

I'm having a hard time finding someone selling it by the foot and stuff that's not meant for installation.

I'm only doing 3 pin cables.  I've heard AES/EBU is an acceptable replacement.

I just got 8 moving fixtures and my old drive cable (which is a mic cable) works with it but I notice when I move the lights quickly left and right with the shutter off, the units will occassionally flash.  This doesn't happen on a shorter run so this tells me that the 75' run of mic cable is distorting the signal and Errors are occurring.

I want to replace all the "mic" cable I have in this DMX rig with either AES/EBU cable or DMX.

Full compass has Gepco DMX cable by the foot but they wanted $73 to ship 150 feet of it.
Ryan Lantzy
"In the beginner's mind the possibilities are many, in the expert's mind they are few."

Brian Houchin

Re: bulk DMX cable
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2006, 09:57:23 AM »

Ryan,

I looked and looked and could not find anyplace that would sell by the foot at a price I wanted to pay (cheapest was 42 cents a foot).  Is this stuff made out of gold?

For the long runs I ended up buying the cable I needed (100 footer was 48 bucks with Neutrik ends at Centerstage, free shipping) and for short cables I bought a 50 footer so I could hack off 15 feet and build the shortys out of that.

I wish EWI would make some DMX cables!
Did Beethoven need a PA?

Duane Massey

• http://www.ozknozz.com
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2006, 10:18:22 AM »

Try Markertek. There are several (actually, a lot) of choices for "DMX" cable. As a general rule you want a cable that has one twisted pair, 110-150ohms, with a braided or braided&foil shield. The biggest difference is flexibility, which some of the cheaper cables don't have.
You're gonna pay anywhere from $.80 to $ 1.25 per foot, but I don't understand the rather outrageous shipping fees. Maybe they're putting on a reel, or are packing it in concrete?
Duane Massey
Houston, Texas, USA

Terry Martin

• http://www.SixtyFourEast.com
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2006, 01:29:42 PM »

Contact Mitch at www.CenterstageLighting.com.  They are located outside of Louisville and should be able to get you a better deal on shipping.

Terry
Martin Performance Enterprises, LLC
Live Audio, Lighting - Rentals, Sales, Installs
Henderson, KY
--------------------

Matt Johnson

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2006, 03:04:53 PM »

The price of copper has gone up quite a bit lately:

"Copper prices have increased by 92 cents per pound since the beginning of April with price increases sometimes approaching 20 cents per day. To put this in perspective, copper prices increased 75 cents in all of 2005. This equates to a 58 percent increase in copper since January 2006 and a 138 percent increase since January 2005."  Jim Carlini http://wistechnology.com/article.php?id=2955

That's a crazy increase, in fact a penny is worth more than $.01 due to the raw materials now.  So no, cables aren't made of gold.  But yes, it is an increasingly valuable material.  

Jim Cutshall

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2006, 10:11:19 PM »

I did a job this past summer that when I quoted it the price was xx. I marked it up 25% and a week later when I got the OK and ordered the cable, my profit was now 1%.

As for DMX cable, AES/EBU is almost identical in spec and you should have no problems running lighting over it.  Typically when you order DMX cable it is true DMX cable with 2 discrete pairs in one jacket which will cause you price to go up.

FWIW,  Jim

David Buehler

• http://www.audioexcellence4u.com
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2006, 04:45:23 AM »

TMB and ACT lighting both sell DMX cable by the foot if i recall...
David Buehler
Production & Systems Manager
Audio Excellence
New Mexico's Premire Event Production Company
Audio - Video - Backline - Lighting - Staging & Roofs - Barricade - Crewing - Production Management & Design

Ryan Lantzy

• http://www.lhsoundandlight.com
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2006, 01:13:40 PM »

I heard back from Full Compass.  Just a messed up weight on that SKU.  I'll probably be getting it from there.

Thanks for the help.
Ryan Lantzy
"In the beginner's mind the possibilities are many, in the expert's mind they are few."

Kevin Esprella

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 11:34:35 AM »

I'm also looking for bulk DMX cable and Ryan, just wanted to see if you were happy with your purchase from Full Compass. Also if anyone else has some other inputs that would be great. I know Terry said about contacting Mitch from centerstagelighting.com. Has anyone done business with them?

Thanks for the help.

Thomas Bishop

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011, 09:54:38 AM »

How much do you need?  I am a CBI dealer so let me know how much and what type (single pair with shield okay?) and I'll get you a quote.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 15 queries.