ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Help me Find a Long Throw Speaker System  (Read 32894 times)

Ben Wavell

Help me Find a Long Throw Speaker System
« on: February 20, 2011, 09:40:04 PM »

I respect all of your opinions, and i am strugling to find a solution,i am putting together a "touring" Sound system for a Evangelist in Etheopia. Hes told me he has had crowds of 15-50k people in a stadium. He primarily does spoken word, and has been on a different crusade, that was using Meyer MSL-4's. I dont know how many of them, Hes found 8 of them for $30k,from a reputable National rental house with all the accessories.I dont know this box, ive looked at several 2 or 3 way , tight 25x35 horn boxes, and since I dont have EASE, i cant see how the throw will cover. Ideally these are the ideas and or requirements i have.
From the stage :
-Spoken Word, with Light BGM
-100 degrees of horizontal coverage, speakers should be at 14 feet on scaf vertically.
-The farthest person hes trying to hit is at 1500'
- Hes doesnt need subs
-They need to be simple to set up so im thinking point source instead of line array mainly due to them being in 3rd world countries and i dont know what kind of help hell have, unless he brought me along:)
-The venues are primarily stadiums, but could be fields in the middle of no where.
-He wants to spend no more than $40k on the speakers, amps,processing.

I know you all could use lots more info, but this is what i have from him right now, Ive looked at KF750s, MSL 4, KF850s,HLA,Turbo Flashlights,

My main design issue is , if i need to use delay stacks , at what would be the farthest interval you would put them back, and if it could be done without delay stacks,  how would you design this and with what speakers, im open to any suggestions, i have a 2 week time period to put this together , and value what you all have to say. THanks for your input.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 09:46:42 PM by Ben Wavell »

Bennett Prescott

• This text is personal!
    • Bennett Prescott Dot Com
Re: Help me Find a Long Throw Speaker System
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 11:11:34 PM »

IF you need to use delay stacks? For 1500' of throw? You are in so far over your head here, buddy, I don't even know if we can link arms to pull you out.
-- Bennett Prescott
Sales & Operations Director
B&C Speakers NA
Cell: +1 (518) 488-7190

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 11:23:31 PM »

I respect all of your opinions, and i am strugling to find a solution,i am putting together a "touring" Sound system for a Evangelist in Etheopia. Hes told me he has had crowds of 15-50k people in a stadium. He primarily does spoken word, and has been on a different crusade, that was using Meyer MSL-4's. I dont know how many of them, Hes found 8 of them for $30k,from a reputable National rental house with all the accessories.I dont know this box, ive looked at several 2 or 3 way , tight 25x35 horn boxes, and since I dont have EASE, i cant see how the throw will cover. Ideally these are the ideas and or requirements i have.
From the stage :
-Spoken Word, with Light BGM
-100 degrees of horizontal coverage, speakers should be at 14 feet on scaf vertically.
-The farthest person hes trying to hit is at 1500'
- Hes doesnt need subs
-They need to be simple to set up so im thinking point source instead of line array mainly due to them being in 3rd world countries and i dont know what kind of help hell have, unless he brought me along:)
-The venues are primarily stadiums, but could be fields in the middle of no where.
-He wants to spend no more than $40k on the speakers, amps,processing.

I know you all could use lots more info, but this is what i have from him right now, Ive looked at KF750s, MSL 4, KF850s,HLA,Turbo Flashlights,

My main design issue is , if i need to use delay stacks , at what would be the farthest interval you would put them back, and if it could be done without delay stacks,  how would you design this and with what speakers, im open to any suggestions, i have a 2 week time period to put this together , and value what you all have to say. THanks for your input.

No stadium is 1500'. From a stage at one end to the farthest seat is more likely on the order of five or six hundred feet. Of all the speakers you mentioned the MSL4 is probably the best bet for that kind of throw, and its relative lack of bass is not a problem in this case.

Mac

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 07:49:01 AM »

At a height of 14', you are going to also have some serious level differences between the front and back.

If you are talking about a stadium, where would you put the delay stacks?  Remember there will be people way off to the sides and in front of the stacks.  And remember that you will have to get cabling to those locations and have the means to get those cabinets up in the air.  Is this part of the budget?

When doing something of this size, there are going to be limitations.  It is important to understand what youcan and can't do in a given situation.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 08:07:54 AM »

By the sound of it, you really can't use delay stacks as it adds cost and set up problems.
The MSL4 is a good contender for this application.
Also consider this product...
http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/synergy_horn.asp?model=SH%2025
 This is a 25x25 long throw design. Different patterns are listed on the right.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 08:09:41 AM by keith broughton »
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Tim Talbot

• True Sound Hire
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 10:35:57 AM »

Stick with the Meyers, i've use MSL-4's to cover 2000 people outdoors and 4 of them just ticked over all day..very powerful box for sure

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 11:03:09 AM »

A couple of years ago in Kansas City I heard announcements from some distance away.  However, I could understand it perfectly.  I walked to the area and discovered a pair of MSL4s, runnning WFO, on stout crankups.

I was shocked how far a pair of these would 'throw' voice.  I could understand the announcements (it was a race) easily 300 feet away.

Of the solutions listed, I would seriously consider the MSL4s.  Like Ivan said 14 feet in the air will pound everyone up close at a level which allows those 300-400 feet away to hear.

It sounds like self powered (and I ASSume the capability for power supply switching) is a bonus in your situation.

And as mentioned, delays can be a nightmare in this situation.  Get it 'right' for some area and you will have big problems in others.
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 12:09:22 PM »

Stick with the Meyers, i've use MSL-4's to cover 2000 people outdoors and 4 of them just ticked over all day..very powerful box for sure
Covering 2000 people is VERY different from covering 15,000, and throws of 600' are not nearly as easy as throws of 150'.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jens Palm Bacher

• Lydfabrikken
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 12:44:27 PM »

What about doing it old-School: http://www.jblpro.com/pages/pub/components/23929394.pdf
 ;D
Driven with modern dsp and amps i'm pretty sure you would get a lot of coverage for the money. 6 horns on a scaffold would be a very cheap delay-system.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 12:51:12 PM by Jens Palm Bacher »

Bennett Prescott

• This text is personal!
    • Bennett Prescott Dot Com
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2011, 01:11:35 PM »

Covering 2000 people is VERY different from covering 15,000, and throws of 600' are not nearly as easy as throws of 150'.
Or even 300'. 600' and you're going to need a LOT of HF horsepower, which very few modern products have.
-- Bennett Prescott
Sales & Operations Director
B&C Speakers NA
Cell: +1 (518) 488-7190

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2011, 01:11:35 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 25 queries.