ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Baltic Birch true 3/4"?  (Read 3241 times)

Antone Atmarama Bajor

• http://www.geocities.com/somesoundgreat
Baltic Birch true 3/4"?
« on: December 13, 2006, 09:34:35 PM »

I was just wondering is it possible to get the void free quality Baltic Birch in true 3/4" thickness or since its from europe and russia is it all 18mm.

I can't find it.  I'd like to build some cabs I designed with 3/4" walls without having to redo everything.

What are the cons of going with "Marine" Grade ply since I can buy that in true 3/4"

Antone-

John Halliburton

Re: Baltic Birch true 3/4"?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2006, 08:56:27 AM »

Maybe 15-20 years ago you could have found some, but certainly not in a long time.

I typically use .72" as the thickness when I'm drawing cabinets.
Shim your dado stack on the table saw, and get router bits that are slightly undersized(or metric!)

I'd still go with the Baltic Birch, but that's me.

Best regards,

John

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2006, 07:50:02 PM »

I use a small piece of laminate sample as my shim for baltic.  Been using the same piece for years.
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Mike {AB} Butler

• http://www.3alchemy.com
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2006, 07:45:31 AM »

Antone,
Yes, pretty much all plywood these days is less than 3/4".
If you're a saavy CAD type.. it's real simple to convert using a snap to distance that undersizes the plywood by the right amount.. after you draw up the design - takes all of 2 minutes in most of my designs.
The real trick is when you go to cut.. ever tried converting regular fractions on an SAE ripfence to odd decimal inch fractions? A REAL gasser.. Mad
Regards,
Mike (works from decimal to fraction all day long) Butler
Mike Butler,
Principal, Technology and Operations,
Dascott Technologies, LLC

John Halliburton

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2006, 05:43:12 PM »

Well, you could used one of these too:

http://catalog.starrett.com/catalog/catalog/groups.asp?GrpTb l=12&GroupID=210&GrpTab=Spec

32nds/64ths/10ths/50ths

It helps a bit.

Best regards,

John

Mike {AB} Butler

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2006, 07:49:06 AM »

Arr, John, thanks, but I already got me a couple of those.. Very Happy  as well as a Dial Caliper. Problem is my Biesmeyer T square ripfence.. which has standard fractions on it - too bad it didn't come with an SAE fractional/Decimal/Metric ruler.  Cool
I have laid an engineering scale on it.. but found that's unnecessary, as I could estimate pretty well on my own. The result requires quite a bit less sanding - than if I had left it up to the nearest 32nd..
The decimal to fraction conversion is a snap now.. after having done the CAD thing for 20 years..
Regards,
Mike Butler,

John Halliburton

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2006, 11:32:05 PM »

Mike {AB} Butler wrote on Sun, 17 December 2006 06:49

Arr, John, thanks, but I already got me a couple of those.. Very Happy  as well as a Dial Caliper. Problem is my Biesmeyer T square ripfence.. which has standard fractions on it - too bad it didn't come with an SAE fractional/Decimal/Metric ruler.  Cool
I have laid an engineering scale on it.. but found that's unnecessary, as I could estimate pretty well on my own. The result requires quite a bit less sanding - than if I had left it up to the nearest 32nd..
The decimal to fraction conversion is a snap now.. after having done the CAD thing for 20 years..
Regards,

I hear ya.  A 24" Starrett has been my defacto ruler for a long time.  I'm thinking it's time to modify a digital readout from a milling machine X-Y base to sit on the saw fence.
Actually, I'm getting more and more parts cut out at a friend's company where he has full CNC capabilities.  I just send drawing files with measurements to the tenthousandths place, and it doesn't phase him a bit.  Way more accurate and square than any table saw too.

Best regards,

John

Mike {AB} Butler

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2006, 04:55:38 PM »

John Halliburton wrote on Tue, 19 December 2006 23:32

Actually, I'm getting more and more parts cut out at a friend's company where he has full CNC capabilities.  I just send drawing files with measurements to the tenthousandths place.   Way more accurate and square than any table saw too.

Aww, John, that'd take away all my FUN Laughing  
John Halliburton wrote on Tue, 19 December 2006 23:32

and it doesn't phase him a bit

Soo.. when did fazing become phasing?!  Laughing  Laughing
Regards,
Mike Butler,

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 18 queries.