ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: is it possible?  (Read 3300 times)

Deron Lucatorta

is it possible?
« on: December 03, 2006, 10:33:03 AM »

is it possible for a sm58 to go bad and still work??

The situation: one of the bands that i work with on a regular basis brings their own onstage setup from mics to iem rack. all they do is hand me a snake and i plug and go.  all instruments are direct.

Layout:sr sm58  c ulx sm58  csl sm58 sl sm58
no monitors on stage everyone on iem

The Problem: csl sm58 almost always has feedback issues in foh. I have seen this happen on 3 different pa's. in 3 differnt rooms and different engineers. every mic used in same position everytime. some stages they are as close as 3' sometimes as far as 6' apart.

I haven't tried a different mic yet because the thought just came to me this morning. Just wondering if maybe this is the problem.  

I am stuck at this point.

Any ideas?

Deron Lucatorta
WestSide Productions
www.westsidepro.net

Adam Whetham

• Grand Forks, ND
Re: is it possible?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2006, 12:48:02 PM »

I thought i was on crack also for a few of my wireless rental units.

I have unit 3 and then unit 4. Unit 3 is like an OM7 where you have to be right up on it. the unit 4 you can be 8 inches away and still pick it up. I've messed with gain, squelch, yada yada yada you name it. switched capsules around.... Its the capsule alright.

I mean, they are mass produced. So maybe you and I got a few wierd ones. Try picking up another mic and trying it.

I picked up an extra catridge, and now the "Omni-SM58" has its own place in the work box for when people can't understand they have to talk INTO the mic.
-I practice safe excursion on the weekends.

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -Paul Neal "Red" Adair

Andy Peters

• http://www.latke.net/
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2006, 02:02:03 PM »

Deron Lucatorta wrote on Sun, 03 December 2006 08:33

is it possible for a sm58 to go bad and still work??

The situation: one of the bands that i work with on a regular basis brings their own onstage setup from mics to iem rack. all they do is hand me a snake and i plug and go.  all instruments are direct.

Layout:sr sm58  c ulx sm58  csl sm58 sl sm58
no monitors on stage everyone on iem

The Problem: csl sm58 almost always has feedback issues in foh. I have seen this happen on 3 different pa's. in 3 differnt rooms and different engineers. every mic used in same position everytime. some stages they are as close as 3' sometimes as far as 6' apart.

I haven't tried a different mic yet because the thought just came to me this morning. Just wondering if maybe this is the problem.  

I am stuck at this point.

Any ideas?

Does the guy using the "Bad" mic sweat a lot or drool into the mic?

If so, the foam in either the windscreen (the ball) or the foam on the front end of the cartridge itself (or both) may be shot..  If it's really hard (crunchy) then it's bad.  Replace the ball, or worse, replace the cartridge (send the mic to Shure and they'll send you a new one).  The point is if the foam has hardened, it alters the pattern of the mic and its overall gain, as the foam is no longer acoustically transparent.

I used to work with a singer who spit and sweated into the mic.  He had a couple of spare mics on top of his guitar amp.  About half-way through the set, before the mic he was using became problematic, he'd swap it with one of the spares.

-a
"This isn't some upside down inverted Socratic method where you throw out your best guess answers and I correct your work." -- JR

"On the Internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

Michael 'Bink' Knowles

• http://www.binkster.net/index.shtml
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2006, 02:06:57 PM »

Maybe CSL guy bought a fake SM58. I understand those things have less GBF and more handling noise.

-Bink
Michael 'Bink' Knowles
www.binkster.net

sheldon harris

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2006, 02:23:56 PM »

Michael 'Bink' Knowles wrote on Sun, 03 December 2006 15:06

Maybe CSL guy bought a fake SM58. I understand those things have less GBF and more handling noise.

-Bink

thats exactly what i was about to say!

from last year to present, countless look alikes have surfaced on the net especialy ebay.

look a like but dont sound the same.

i am going to try finding a fake one (yes, i was a victim)
and see if there is anything i can look at under the windscreen to determine how to pick them out from the real deal.
The things we would do in the quest to attain the highest Levels of Sound! the Pressure that is!

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2006, 02:52:56 PM »

Many people don't understand how the mics work and how they become different polar patterns, and what changes them.  Goo as you say will do it.  Just like cupping the mic.

So will doing something stupid like I did at one time.  I had a problem with drummers knocking the heads (plastic grills) off of SM57's, so I decided to "fix" all of mine, so I used silicon rubber to glue them on.  This of course covered up the ports on the rear of the mic, and turned them omni-kinda and really screwed up the freq response.  It took me awhile to figure it out, and then a long time to undo what I had done.

Well, it was a good idea (to me) at the time, to bad I was totally wrong and had no idea what I was doing.
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Deron Lucatorta

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2006, 09:19:36 PM »

Thanks for the reply's
they have had these mics for a while so it being a fake isn't probable. but the hardening of the foam could be realistic. He is lead guitar and second lead vocal and is quite active so the sweating theory is something to look at. as far as spitting thank god i am too far away to find out. we will be out again next sat. so I will have him start with one of mine so that i can check his out.

thanks
  Deron Lucatorta
WestSide Productions
www.westsidepro.net

Bob Leonard

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2006, 10:00:34 PM »

Quick test. Let him use the one he has been using all along, but take the ball off of yours and put it on his. See what that does for you.
The roar of the grease paint, the smell of the crowd.

Tim McCulloch

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2006, 12:04:47 AM »

Hi Deron-

If switching the metal windscreen doesn't help, and the foam over the diaphragm isn't crusty or caked with YUCK, I think there's a good chance the mic took a very hard fall.

If it's a genuine Shure, you can send it back to their service department.  Out of guarantee SM-58s are repaired or replaced for $55.   http://www.shure.com/ProAudio/ServiceAndWarranty/ServicePoli cies/index.htm

Good luck, and let us know what this turns out to be.

Tim Mc
"Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?" Crack The Sky

Deron Lucatorta

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2006, 09:18:49 AM »

Well we changed the ball problem still there. Changed the mic problem solved....
Thanks for the input. I guess its gonna be shures problem now..
  Deron Lucatorta
WestSide Productions
www.westsidepro.net
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 17 queries.