ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: TRX's back up and running  (Read 6420 times)

Ryan Lantzy

• http://www.lhsoundandlight.com
Re: TRX's back up and running
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2006, 07:03:49 pm »

Evan Kirkendall wrote on Mon, 04 December 2006 17:55

... I must say that Im quite impressed. Its amazing how much better the cabs sound triamped.

It is not surprising to me that they would sound maybe "twice" as good triamped (real objective huh?).  The crossovers in lower priced boxes are a great place to cut costs.  It's not surprising a lot of MI cabinets with seemingly reasonable sounding drivers just suck out loud.

Go price inductors, non-polar caps and junk that can handle high power.  Not cheap.  Add in the expertise it takes to design a good one and you've got a costly endevour afoot.

You have some powerful tools there Evan.  Between Smaart and that Sabine, you should be able to get something reasonable sounding out of them if you know what you are doing.

Quote:

I cranked them up in my garage just a little while ago. With uncompressed material(board recordings) I was hitting 123dbA @ 1m, and that was lightly clipping the low amp, -10 steady on the mids and -20 steady on the high amp. Im sure with a little more work I can gain another 2 or 3db. Im giving my ears a break, but Ill be back at it and will post the final settings in a few hours.

It may take several tries at getting it right to come up with a final setting.  I wouldn't expect a whole lot more out of those than that.  Using a calcuated SPL based on power and sensitivity, you will start to cook the HF driver around 125dB @ 1 m.  

BTW, how are you making your measurements?  @ 3 or 10m and working backwards?  Or right at 1m?  If so I would suggest moving back and then working backward to come up with a more real world measurement.  

If you aren't wearing hearing protection, you should be...  Do the listening tests at reasonable volumes, and measure there.  Then crank it up and do your measurements at higher SPL with your plugs in.  If the measurements are way off from listening SPL and max SPL, something may be up.  A few minutes of 120ish won't kill you,  but it's not a spectacular idea either.

Ryan Lantzy
"In the beginner's mind the possibilities are many, in the expert's mind they are few."

Evan Kirkendall

• http://www.evankirkendall.com
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2006, 07:15:13 pm »

Hi Ryan,
Trust me, Ive got the plugs in everytime I crank it. Anything over 105dba and I throw them in.

However, I feel like an idiot after my post a little while ago. I was thinking to myself "Why cant these damn things get louder!?" And I was looking through the menu of the Sabine I noticed I had the polarity backwords on the mids...  Embarassed

So, I fix that and crank them up again. Im standing @ 1m with the rat shack meter and its maxing out... I look out at smaart and its saying peaks of 130db and averaging 128db. Yes! Very Happy  BTW- the music source was Bruce Hornsby's live CD "Here Comes the Noisemakers." Great CD.

But anyway, one thing I noticed when I was cranking them that the boxes were not breaking up. They stayed pretty smooth sounding and kept on going. I was still only hitting -20 on the horn amp and they were cranking. Mids and lows were lightly clipping. Im happy with them for now and cant wait to gig them again!

Oh yeah, My listening position was about 20' from the boxes, and the measurement mic was at 1m from the boxes.

Evan
Not all change is good change.

Mac Kerr

• SR Forums
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2006, 07:26:16 pm »

Evan Kirkendall wrote on Mon, 04 December 2006 19:15

I look out at smaart and its saying peaks of 130db and averaging 128db. Yes!
You can't use Smaart for SPL measurements unless you have a calibrator, and have calibrated all your settings before taking a measurement. If you change the gain on the mic pre you measurement mic goes through you will change the SPL reading.

Mac

Evan Kirkendall

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2006, 07:39:06 pm »

Mac Kerr wrote on Mon, 04 December 2006 19:26

Evan Kirkendall wrote on Mon, 04 December 2006 19:15

I look out at smaart and its saying peaks of 130db and averaging 128db. Yes!
You can't use Smaart for SPL measurements unless you have a calibrator, and have calibrated all your settings before taking a measurement. If you change the gain on the mic pre you measurement mic goes through you will change the SPL reading.

Mac

I did a rough calibration with my rat shack meter beforehand. I ran  the signal gen on smaart, got the spl on smaart to match what the rat shack meter was saying(100dbA) and used that. It seems pretty close... It was on par with what the rat shack meter was saying until it maxed out(126db), then I was just relying on smaart.

Evan

(Josiah) (Peterson)

« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2006, 08:04:47 pm »

Evan Kirkendall wrote on Mon, 04 December 2006 16:55

I was hitting 123dbA @ 1m, and that was lightly clipping the low amp, -10 steady on the mids and -20 steady on the high amp. Im sure with a little more work I can gain another 2 or 3db.

Evan "Not hating his trx's anymore" K.

How do you neighbors feel about this...... Very Happy  Very Happy  While you might being liking your boxes again, your neighbors might be having second thoughts Surprised

Good luck,

-Josiah

Dave Rickard

Re: TRX's back up and running-When I was 17--
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2006, 10:23:14 am »

Ivan Beaver wrote on Sun, 03 December 2006 08:30

When I was 17-sounds like a Beatles song,

Frank Sinatra, It was a very good year...

http://www.lyricsfreak.com/f/frank+sinatra/it+was+a+very+goo d+year_20056372.html

Dave
Dave
Yorkville dealer

"The wrong piece of gear, at the right price, is still the wrong piece of gear."

"If you don't have good stuff at each end of the signal chain, (mics and speakers) what you use in between is just turd polish."--Dave Dermont

Scott Bower

« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2006, 02:14:47 pm »

When I was 17 I plugged my mic into my bass amp.
Scott Bower
owner/engineer
ROCKSOUND

Evan Kirkendall

« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2006, 03:42:54 pm »

Well, here's the setting I came up with. Spent 2 days in my garage and outside coming up with these. They may change after the first concert, but heres what I've got:

Lows:
Input: 0db
Delay: .7mS
EQ: -3db @ 190hz
X-over: 100hz-700hz 24db slope

Mids:
Input: -2.5db
Delay: .1mS
EQ: -3db @ 1000hz
X-over: 700-4k 24db slope

Highs:
Input: +1db
Delay: 0
EQ: -3db @ 4k and -2db @ 10k
X-over: 4k+

Feel free to comment.

Evan

Al Limberg

« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2006, 04:32:13 pm »

What filters are you using on your crossovers (Butterworth? Linkwitz-Riley?) and what is the Q on your EQ settings?

Enquiring minds.....

?;o)
Al
If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get one million miles to the gallon, and explode once a year killing everyone inside - Robert X. Cringely

Evan Kirkendall

« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2006, 04:48:42 pm »

Al Limberg wrote on Tue, 05 December 2006 16:32

What filters are you using on your crossovers (Butterworth? Linkwitz-Riley?) and what is the Q on your EQ settings?

Enquiring minds.....

?;o)
Al

Butterworth filters.

And the Q varies from band to band. Ill have to check.

Evan
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 16 queries.