ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Doo dads or whatever  (Read 2650 times)

Grayson Rech

Doo dads or whatever
« on: December 04, 2006, 01:09:44 PM »

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has found a source for the following:

Y-cable  with:  1 TRS 1/4 FEMALE (not wall plate style) to 2 TS 1/4 Males.

Basically this allows for a standard TRS to TRS balanced patch snake to be used for connecting processing even when a console has balanced I/O insert points or just a single point.

They are handy to have in a pinch and wondered if anyone know of manufacture or supply of these ready built.  Making em' is a PITA with but might be my only alternative.  I've heard a few techs refer to them as doo-dads but it is kinda a generic term.  

Thanks in advance.
Grayson
Close enuff for rock n' roll

Clayton Luckie

Re: Doo dads or whatever
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 01:14:02 PM »

You mean like this?

You could buy them here if you wanted to.

cl

Patrick Tracy

• Boulder Sound Guy
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006, 02:24:14 PM »

Yep, Hosa among others. Funny thing is, I've got several of the opposite, TRS male to two TS female, so I can hook up miscellaneous processors to TRS single-jack inserts without having to track down spare insert cables.

What I want is TRS male to one TRS female normaled like the insert, and one TS tap with a switch to choose between tip and ring for a multitrack split. That'll be the day.

TRS - doesn't that stand for Tandy Radio Shack? Just kidding.

Tim McCulloch

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006, 02:57:18 PM »

"Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?" Crack The Sky

Antone Atmarama Bajor

• http://www.geocities.com/somesoundgreat
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2006, 06:48:45 PM »

You could always buy the rugged Switchcraft ones (series 121/131 and make em yourself.  Better than than most of that moulded crap that cant be repaired if the wires break inside.

I think Switchcraft also makes a TRS Female to Female 361a, may or may not be more useful than the Y.

Why doesn't anybody use switchcraft anymore.  They are still some of the most rugged in the business.  You could buy some piece of crap overpriced gold plated monster cable 1/4" and the tip will fall off after a couple of weeks.

If you feel comfortable soldering or know some one that can do it or teach you, I say make them.  Most of the HOSA stuff I've ever touched really SUCKS and is way overpriced!

Antone-

Tim McCulloch

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2006, 08:54:46 PM »

Antone Atmarama Bajor wrote on Mon, 04 December 2006 17:48

Why doesn't anybody use switchcraft anymore.  They are still some of the most rugged in the business.  You could buy some piece of crap overpriced gold plated monster cable 1/4" and the tip will fall off after a couple of weeks.
Antone-

Hi Antone-

I suspect it has something to do with price.  We buy kibbles and bits connectors to keep in stock for "we need it now" cable building.  Switchcraft costs more, at least in 48-100 piece orders.

We've had good luck with the top-end Neutrik xlr connectors, too.  Pricing is similar, but a little lower, I think.  We keep using Switchcraft partly because the old guys in our shop can solder them in their sleep.  ZZZZZzzzzzzzz    ZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzz  oh, yeah... and they are rugged and reliable (except for those damn Jumbo barrel 1/4" plugs).

Anyway, it's about money.  Or physics, or psychology.  Wink

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc
"Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?" Crack The Sky

Grayson Rech

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2006, 07:51:05 AM »

Thanks fellas,  The "y" connector is the one listed by Clayton however I should have mentioned this before hand.  As Antone mentioned Hosa is my LEAST favorite brand and I'd rather chew on broken glass that trust it in a live setting.  

I spoke with Liz from audiopile and they do not carry anything like that.  I looked at Markertek and found nothing that fits the bill either.  So I guess I'm gonna just doo-dad it myself.  

Thanks all for the responses.

Grayson
Close enuff for rock n' roll

Rick Stansby

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2006, 11:30:52 AM »

Hosa isn't great, but since these things will probably live in your doghouse, or fx rack, I would expect them to hold up for a long time.  I know a soundman who has been using those same adaptors for years, to do the same thing you want to do.  He almost never works without them, because his primary board has unbalanced inserts.  So they get used several times a week.  They seem to work great for him. At $5 a piece they cost about the same as the connectors to build them.  And you don't have to deal with trying to solder two wires onto each pole of the TRS jack.

As for the risk in a live situation.  If you are using them for comps and gates you can always do without one or two of them in a pinch, they aren't "mission critical".  If you are using them for the eqs, then maybe you should go with something more reliable.

YMMV.
Rick
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 21 queries.