ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Crossover - what would you recommend?  (Read 1942 times)

Tony Noriega

Crossover - what would you recommend?
« on: December 01, 2006, 08:41:30 am »

Please excuse my ignorance on this, but it's a first for me.....I need your help choosing a crossover for my newly-assembled p.a.   I'll be driving two Yamaha club 15" foh speakers and one JBL MP255s, dual 15" subwoofer (also three 12" monitors).  I have two QSR 2450 amps that generate 500w per side each.

I'm told I need a crossover to send the low frequencies to the sub.  Should I buy an electronic or passive crossover?  What is a reasonably good unit for under 150?

Many thanks, Tony Noriega in Tampa
Tony Noriega

Michael Gee

Re: Crossover - what would you recommend?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2006, 09:06:13 am »

I was recently in a similar situation as you. I am pushing a pair of EV 15" fullrange cabinets along with a sub. I also have a 2450 driving it all. I recently picked up a PV23XO for $100.00 & so far, so good! I run it in a mono configuration. I have the sub on channel 1 & the EVs on channel 2.

How about them USF Bulls! BTW, my brother went to USF & lives in Tampa too!

Evan Kirkendall

• http://www.evankirkendall.com
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2006, 09:53:49 am »

Go active.

A used dbx 223xl will run around $75 and will work perfectly. They are very solid, basic units. I use one in my B rig and it's been holding up just fine.

Evan
Not all change is good change.

Tony "T" Tissot

• http://www.4dbsound.com
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2006, 02:13:24 pm »

Depends what you want to spend - and what direction your business is going in.

1. Evan pointed out the dbx 223xl  - Great inexpensive box (about $120 new)- I use them for bi-amped monitors. If you use this approach - set the low filters on your amps to get rid of anything below 50 Hz. (That is - if your amp has filters).

2. Or you can get a DBX DriveRack (more like $400) that will give you some useful tools in addition to Xover (limiting, compression, Parametric EQ, 28-band EQ etc. (ignore the RTA in the box for reasons to complicated to go into here).
MNGS
ProSoundWeb - Home of 50,000 audio professionals - and two or three curmudgeonly SOBs.

Bob Leonard

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2006, 06:36:24 pm »

What has already been said but add Ashley to the mix.
The roar of the grease paint, the smell of the crowd.

Pascal Pincosy

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2006, 03:19:04 am »

Save yourself. Buy a Behringer DCX2496. You get all the capabilities of the best analog crossover you can find and more, plus limiting, EQ, and much more. Spend the $250 and be happy.

I run analog crossovers for my main system. I've spent many hours tuning my system flat, and built custom electronics to make it all work, and honestly, in comparision the DCX2496 doesn't sound half bad.
Know:Audio
--------------------------------
US Distributor: Trabes/MG Srl
Speaker Lifts-Truss-Roof Systems
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.017 seconds with 15 queries.