ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Neutrik Silent Plug  (Read 41426 times)

Jon Smith

Re: Neutrik Silent Plug
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2007, 08:40:10 PM »

I had four instrument cables made for me last July and have been using them ever since. They are great and I have had no problems with them. All my clients have really like them. Nice for those times when you are not on top of a player who a fast puller... A great addition to the cable box!

Jon
My only real worry is they'll solve the problem just before I release my protest song

Life is timing, Living kills you!

Nick Aghababian

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2007, 09:28:01 AM »

If I cared a little more, I would find a link to some 1/4" silent plugs that have a little volume control on them for acoustic acts. they were expensive, but no pops either (that is if you remember to turn it down befor unpluging).

Phil LaDue

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2007, 07:25:04 PM »

Nick Aghababian wrote on Sun, 25 March 2007 09:28

If I cared a little more, I would find a link to some 1/4" silent plugs that have a little volume control on them for acoustic acts. they were expensive, but no pops either (that is if you remember to turn it down befor unpluging).

Maybe it was one of these fitted with a Silent Plug™?
http://tinyurl.com/2bktnf

Nick Aghababian

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2007, 01:04:52 AM »

Phil LaDue wrote on Sun, 25 March 2007 19:25

Nick Aghababian wrote on Sun, 25 March 2007 09:28

Maybe it was one of these fitted with a Silent Plug??
http://tinyurl.com/2bktnf

Probably. It's been years since i've seen one, but I'm sure that has to be it because I don't see them often, so there must not be too many of them

Karl Winkler

• http://www.lectrosonics.com
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2007, 11:00:25 AM »

Just a follow up on this topic - I found that Neutrik also makes a right-angle version of this connector... and that's what I needed for my own personal guitar setup. I made a pair of cables with right angle connectors on one end, since my guitar has the jack on the pick guard ('67 Epiphone Olympic Single, with a Seymour Duncan Hot Stack pickup, for those who care). Man is that a nice connector!

-Karl
Karl Winkler

Lectrosonics, Inc.

Adam Whetham

• Grand Forks, ND
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2007, 03:33:55 AM »

Karl Winkler wrote on Tue, 28 August 2007 10:00

Just a follow up on this topic - I found that Neutrik also makes a right-angle version of this connector... and that's what I needed for my own personal guitar setup. I made a pair of cables with right angle connectors on one end, since my guitar has the jack on the pick guard ('67 Epiphone Olympic Single, with a Seymour Duncan Hot Stack pickup, for those who care). Man is that a nice connector!

-Karl

I had completely forgotten they were making a right angle version... Tommorow its off to order some... They do come in handy for those acoustic guitar guys....
-I practice safe excursion on the weekends.

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -Paul Neal "Red" Adair

Jeff Babcock

« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2007, 11:51:40 AM »

I love these cables too.  Made up a whole bunch to have on hand.  They work great.  I did find that I had to use a hotter gun or otherwise they were a hair more tedious to solder, they seemed to direct heat away more quickly.  That's very minor though.

Thanks to Bennett for bringing these to my attention!

Jeff

Mike Newberry

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2008, 11:42:32 PM »

I noticed several posts on this connector. Having used the simpler G&H 90 degree quiet plug, this seemed like a very nice engineering approach and an improvement, as the switch contacts were sealed for life. They also have a very well engineered cable retention strain relief which is the best I've seen.

I bought 5 of them from Mouser at about $10 each. I made up several cables for my band members and myself. So far, 4 of the 5 have failed in use. All have had light use and failed fairly quickly because the magnetic doughnut becomes stuck in the housing in the retracted (on)position.

This happens because the shaft body (electrical connection end) can move in the connector body while inserted into a guitar jack. Once the 90 degree alignment between the shaft and body is off a small amount the magnetic doughnut becomes stuck in the recess, where it retracts when inserted. Simply put they bend slightly and the magnet binds.

I am especially careful to loop my cable back over my strap to prevent accidentally pulling the cable or damaging the jack. Even this type of careful handling hasn't prevented the failure. Initially, I thought it may have been stepped on one and crushed the connector. But since I've been very careful with the rest, it's an aparent design problem. Yes, they can be bent back very carefully, but after use a couple of uses it's back to the same problem.

I sent several emails to Neutrik, but they have never answered one. Mouser on the other hand, replaced two of the connectors at no charge, but I had them beyond 90 days, which is all they warranty them, so the other 2 failed at my expense.

While this seemed like a very good idea, they don't hold up. I still think their cable retention and strain relief method is second to none, however.

I'm going back to the G&H Quiet Plug, which is about half the cost and I've never had one fail. They just have to be heat shrunk, to supplement the strain relief.

Mike

Karl Winkler

• http://www.lectrosonics.com
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2008, 11:39:22 AM »

Good input, Mike. I haven't noticed that problem but I also haven't used my cables very much. I haven't heard of this problem with the straight version - has anyone else?

-Karl
Karl Winkler

Lectrosonics, Inc.

Jon Smith

« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2008, 03:22:11 PM »

Karl Winkler wrote on Wed, 23 January 2008 09:39

Good input, Mike. I haven't noticed that problem but I also haven't used my cables very much. I haven't heard of this problem with the straight version - has anyone else?

-Karl

Karl,

I have four cables with Neutrik plugs on both ends. They are almost two years old. I just last week had the first failure on one end. Going to my jobber today and see what they do for the fix, repair or replace & cost. I have really enjoyed them so and still do.

Jon
My only real worry is they'll solve the problem just before I release my protest song

Life is timing, Living kills you!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 19 queries.