ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: DMX Controller Software  (Read 18951 times)

Craig Leerman

• http://www.techworksvegas.com
Re: DMX Controller Software
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2010, 05:58:58 PM »

I don't like VISTA.  I used one on a show a year ago, and it was not all that intuitive to the three of us experienced lighting guys at the show. I could have programmed the show in about 1 hour on a Chamsys or Hog, and probably about the same time on a GrandMA (if I knew that software as well as I do the Chamsys and Hog)  It took the three of us HOURS to get a few movers, bunch of static washes, and some LED uplights going.

I downloaded Vista to learn it in case I ever need to run one on a gig again, but  will never request one.

I also hate PC software that looks more like a COMPUTER PROGRAM, and not like a lighting board.

A good example is the new (well, new to me) E:CUE software system.  I found it on the web, and I saw that it had a very nice Fader Wing for it. The Fader Wing has sliders, as well as a few rotory knobs you could use for programming positions, etc. Similar to a Chamsys Programming Wing, but a lot less cost.

So, I went to the E:CUE website and watched the videos of the desk.  YUK! You have to open up and shrink windows all over the place! Shrink or move a window to get to the clear or record buttons, etc.

I stopped watching after only half the videos, as I knew I never wanted to touch that desk!

That's my big problem with Light Jockey, Light Factory, etc.  They don't look and operate like a real desk, they FEEL like a computer to me. Hog and Chamsys look and FEEL like I am working on a lighting desk. Add some wings and you are!

I'm so old, when I was doing FOH for Tommy Dorsey, to balance out the horn section I would slide their chairs downstage and upstage to mix!

James Feenstra

• http://www.crewspace.com/James
Re: DMX Controller Software
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2010, 11:09:08 PM »

the main difference between Vista and other consoles (namely Hog and Chamsys, to a lesser extent MA as well) is that there's NO command line based programming (ie. fixture 100 thru 120 @ full) until Byron comes out in a few months

when the release hits everyone should be able to pick up the desk fairly quickly as it now supports both command line programming and the old style programming

using the console once is not an accurate representation of the desk, especially if the person trying to show you how to use it doesn't know it so well themselves (and not many people do know the intricate functions of how it works either). It's really quite powerful and for someone like myself who's visually oriented, having a layout where I can put what I need right in front of me is very useful. The ability to see what your fixtures are doing in relation to the stage (or in lieu of the stage, in some cases) is also quite good.

doing anything short of an entirely cue listed show in Vista takes virtually no time with an experienced programmer. Unfortunately there aren't very many experienced Vista guys yet...I can only think of half a dozen of us. Hopefully cue list based shows will become easier to program post-Byron.

If you want the 'desk' feel from a PC based Vista setup, click the console view...you can't get much closer to what the desk is than that.

The majority of Vista consoles are simply wings anyways, aside from the T series and I3, which are 'actual' consoles.

If you have Vista questions feel free to PM me and I'd be happy to answer them Smile

also, if you know Hog 3, GrandMA shouldn't be a problem to program, it's incredibly close.
James Feenstra
Lighting, Audio and Special Effects Design
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 18 queries.