ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: DMX Controller Software  (Read 18952 times)

Michael Glenn

Re: DMX Controller Software
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2009, 12:55:36 PM »

How bout a little context to your disapointment?

Stuart Pendleton

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2009, 01:26:12 PM »

Maybe that there WASN'T a new version in a while. Although they are working on fixing that right now.
I am the luckiest man in the world because I'm married to the most wonderful woman in the world!!

This should have been my company's slogan:
"More bars in more places."  AT&T

Duane Massey

• http://www.ozknozz.com
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2009, 09:26:54 PM »

Major issues with Bluelight:

Only 24 "scenes" per page
"Solo", or swap, only works in momentary mode
When stacking scenes, it is always in additive, or combining mode; no LTP or HTP option

The sequencing or chase functions are pretty much useless for dj or music applications.

I got very little help with questions about these features.

I do like the extensive profile editing features, but just can't find anything to like in a real-world application. It turns out that the clients who like this software have had no experience with any other system (hardware or software).
Duane Massey
Houston, Texas, USA

Chris Buford

« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2009, 10:44:30 PM »

James Feenstra wrote on Mon, 21 December 2009 22:35

Hal Clague wrote on Mon, 21 December 2009 16:58

Hi
are any of these wirelessly controllable via laptop? I'm just starting to explore software control options but would need a cat5 remote atleast. Wireless network would be preferable.

Thanks

Hal

yes, but you need a second laptop running VNC viewer with your dmx computer running a VNC server

For what its worth, LJ Manager (which is a free add on to Martin's Light Jockey) has remote web server feature. You create a page of user buttons and then it will convert that into a web page. You can load that web page on any other PC or phone. I haven't done it on a complex network, but I've sure had some fun running cues by tapping my iPhone that's on the same network as my laptop.

Of course at this point you still need 2 devices, so you'd be better off using VNC if you want to access the whole program.

Also if you get the Universal USB interface from Martin, you can now use their Maxxyz PC software with 2 universes. Its a little odd to program without the surface, but from what I can tell it behaves more like a "real" console (from my limited time on Hogs and GrandMAs) Cuelists on faders, fixture and palette grouping etc.

They have an iPhone app that's a Maxxyz remote that lets you update presets very easily. You can even use the inclinometer to adjust pan/tilt! Sadly I didn't have time to play with that last show as I'm still programming in Light Jockey until I can get the hang of Maxxyz.

Anyway, I've been very happy with LightJockey. If you delve into the program you can get alot out of it. It seems to have a rep as a DJ/club controller but I've figured out how to make it a decent live controller for rock shows. The fact that I can use Maxxyz now to is just an added bonus.

Monitor Engineer/Lighting Designer
Carbon Leaf www.carbonleaf.com
www.deathstar.org/~cabuford

Adam Whetham

• Grand Forks, ND
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2009, 04:00:19 PM »

Interesting... I'm trying to find a computer program that I can just program scenes. then program them to keys on the keyboard.

ie

A: blue wash
S: Red wash
D: Green wash
F: blinky's all over the place.

and just be able to click and random. as our bar show changes at any moment depending on what the band feels like. and just scene's like that work best for it... I've tried alot of the software, but most of it seems to be set up for people that aren't spastic with a 5 second attention span on stage... Sad

Does anyone else have this issue?
-I practice safe excursion on the weekends.

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -Paul Neal "Red" Adair

WInston Potgieter

« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2009, 04:23:51 PM »

steps to do this in Enlighten would be:

program blue wash and save to button
program red wash and save to button
program green wash and save to button
program blinky's and save to button

http://www.enlightenpro.com/Enlighten%20Help/Create%20a%20St atic%20Look%20Sequence%20Button.htm

then right click on each button and assign a keyboard shortcut key.

http://www.enlightenpro.com/Enlighten%20Help/How%20to%20Assi gn%20a%20Keyboard%20Shortcut.htm

full online help at www.enlightenpro.com

Winston P

Thomas Bishop

« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2010, 02:42:03 PM »

Adam Whetham wrote

Interesting... I'm trying to find a computer program that I can just program scenes. then program them to keys on the keyboard.

ie

and just be able to click and random. as our bar show changes at any moment depending on what the band feels like. and just scene's like that work best for it... I've tried alot of the software, but most of it seems to be set up for people that aren't spastic with a 5 second attention span on stage... Sad

American DJ's myDMX sounds like what you're after.  I'm using it right now and it does have its limitations, but for what you are doing it sounds perfect.  It won't run scenes at "random" but you could set up scenes to step through the colors and create the "random" order yourself.

Tony "T" Tissot

• http://www.4dbsound.com
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2010, 05:26:15 PM »

Adam Whetham wrote on Thu, 31 December 2009 13:00

ie

Unless I misread this - you can do all that and more on any software console. I use Light Factory. Depending on how precedence features operate you can make this really easy.

All on screen - or...

I use a 16 channel scene setter as an input device for washes with the faders (it's a second Enttec USB/DMX box as input).

Onscreen I have (up to) 100 different movement scenarios mapped so you just click on them and they add to the wash that is set. Makes operation easy. Washes on the hardware - complex stuff under mouse control. I can setup with or without overrides for any scene.

It can get as sophisticated as you need, complete with full hardware button control, should you elect to buy the various outboard devices - or roll your own with "cash register" button farms.

Read this for a view of how sophisticated you can get: http://files.lifact.com/LightFactory2_User_Guide.pdf
MNGS
ProSoundWeb - Home of 50,000 audio professionals - and two or three curmudgeonly SOBs.

neil juneja

« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2010, 05:55:56 AM »

Chamsys MagicQ is hands down, the best controller on the market.  And its free.  The only downside is that you'll eventually want the hardware interface (faders), so you'll still blow a bunch of money.  Its also worth the $50 Enttec dongle to use it.  

There is nothing this software can't do, from pixel mapping to Hog emulation.  In fact, PLSN just wrote an editorial about the history of lighting desks and said that Chamsys is not only an amazing controller today, but will probably be the top controller over the next 10 years.

I just call it Hog 4, because its far more advanced than a Hog 3.

And no, I don't work for the company.

James Feenstra

• http://www.crewspace.com/James
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2010, 05:32:01 PM »

Checked out Chamsys (I'm currently a tester Smile), it's alright, but what I've seen from Vista coming out sometime this year is going to smoke everything out on the market currently.

Lets just say everything that pretty much every desk can do, Vista can do, and it can do it faster (or better, or both). Wait for Byron to come out, cause I can't talk too much about it (or call AC Lighting and ask for a demo).

The only thing that Chamsys has that makes it useful is the cost...cheap usb/dmx dongles and compatibility with multiple types of hardware make it an affordable small show console for those on a budget
James Feenstra
Lighting, Audio and Special Effects Design
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 17 queries.