ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: DMX Splitter (??)  (Read 3459 times)

Rob Timmerman

Re: DMX Splitter (??)
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2010, 07:03:24 PM »

Robin Parker wrote on Mon, 08 February 2010 01:23

Opinions and editorial comments please - I'm in need of a reasonably priced DMX splitter. Yes, I know the Dan Fleenor stuff is the s__t - not quite there yet....  There is a Chauvet "Data Stream 4" that is affordable....

The floor is open....

The Doug Fleenor stuff is well built, but the ones I've looked at are basically a textbook design and 30 year old chips.  And they aren't bullet-proof (although they are easy to repair if they fail).

Honestly, any DMX splitter on the market should work fine, although some will be more robust (mechanically and/or electrically) than others.

Robin Parker

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2010, 08:06:43 PM »

That was kind of my thinking - I'm no engineer or anything - but I do know that a DMX splitter is nothing more than a buffer/splitter/amplifier - it ain't rocket science…

Unless someone can tell me otherwise... the Chauvet it is!

Milt Hathaway

• http://www.fitzcosound.com
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2010, 09:10:10 PM »

Rob Timmerman wrote on Mon, 08 February 2010 17:59

Tony "T" Tissot wrote on Mon, 08 February 2010 11:49

Duane Massey wrote on Mon, 08 February 2010 07:47

....There's really not much in a DMX splitter to fail, so it's somewhat irritating that a splitter costs more than some light fixtures.
Not much to them.

Attached is a schematic from Krisof Nys based on a simple transceiver.

That particular design violates good DMX practice by hanging not one but 2 LEDs off of the data line.  I would strongly suggest that if you build a DMX splitter, spend the extra $2 and put in a proper RS485 line receiver.

I just received one of the free-standing Elation splitters, and couldn't resist opening it up. It has a separate complete power supply (fuse, transformer, regulator, etc.) for each isolated output, plus one for the input (the non-isolated loop through is nothing more than that.)

Nice bit of redundancy there.
--
Milt
FitzCo Sound, Inc.
Midland, TX
http://www.fitzcosound.com
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 20 queries.