ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sub 15": Mackie Swa, RCF ART, db SUB 15...?  (Read 12804 times)

Nenad Jelenkovic

Sub 15": Mackie Swa, RCF ART, db SUB 15...?
« on: October 01, 2006, 05:39:10 PM »

Does anyone have experiense with all (or, at least, two) of these SUBs?

I want to buy 4 subwoofer (must be 15", active, and in "about 1000$" class)

So, what do you think:

1) Mackie Swa1501: 500/700W, 128 SPL, 40 Kg

2) RCF ART 705AS:  800W, class H amplifier, 130 SPL, 37 Kg

3) db technologies SUB 15: MT-Amp 800 W/RMS, 133 SPL,  32 Kg

Any more ideas....?

Am i wrong if i say that the active Sub is better way than passive way in this class?

What would be the "passive way with AMPs" for 4000$ ?  
(4 speakers)

Bob Kenton

Re: Sub 15": Mackie Swa, RCF ART, db SUB 15...?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2006, 06:57:38 PM »

Dont know if this helps any, perhaps just some thinking material. Ive been thinking-looking at small subs too the last month or so. On the Mackie boards there still having some troubles with the 15" powered sub, the box shutting down and such, probably should stay away from that one for now.
According to Mike Pyle, the Art powered 15" is very nice, another small sub to consider is the LS700p, the Art is lighter, takes XLR and is a bit newer in design. For me, the advantage probably would be the Art. Give Mike a PM about these subs, (or the LS700p) he did a small sub shoot-out for me and that is how I received this information. Havent heard anything about the DB sub.
Passive cheap subs? JBL MRX518, TRX118, LS608 and TXD118 just to bring up a few. The cheapest is the TRX and TXD, the TXD will run on a smaller amp and you can even run four of them on a single PLX3402. Out of the boxes mentioned, the 608 has the highest efficiency ratings at 103db vs 95db for the more expensive SRX718. Next the TRX, TXD then the MRX with a 94db, 1w@1m, but the 608 and TRX will need much bigger amps. The TXD is the lightest and one of the lightest subs out there I think at 61.5 pounds while the 608 is close to 100 pounds. Just about all of these subs can be had for the price range your looking at with the cheapest package going to the TXD118 Turbosound subs, 4-boxes about 2 Grand, 1 PLX3402 about $1000.
I would love to hear the difference in sound and output between the powered subs and the small passive boxes.
Almost forgot the QSC powered subs, HPR115 (I think) is a powered 15" sub, weighs around 100 pounds, 700w with a claimed max spl @ 133db. If this is true, this sub should rock! Its around $1000 each. The TRX should be a sweet package, cheap not to heavy, looks real good but Carvin doesnt get alot of love around here where the LS608 gets great reviews from the users on the boards.

Tim Padrick

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 04:44:01 AM »

Why a 15"?  There is no particular advantage to a 15" - not weight, not speed, not size....  Each model must be judged on its own merits, irrespective of make or size.

If you must have powered, I'd look at Yorkville, or find used MP418s, which sound pretty good (a heck of a lot better than the Mackie).

Marjan Milosevic

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2006, 11:20:41 AM »

Zdravo Nenade,

May i ask why do you must have an active sub.
As i assume you are from Serbia right?

If that is so then i have a advice for you.

Go to LNO Shop which is stored in Belgrade's YU BIZNIS CENTAR.
They have all Mackie speakers and can arrange demo for you.

Since this is a market that can not justify big investments in audio take this advice also.

In the same store you can buy RCF 18P300 for 230 EUR (around 300$).
This driver is used in the flagship sub woofers made by EAW, MARTIN and many other respectable manufacturers. It can be taken as industry standard sub like SM58 is for mics.

PM me and i can send you very good plan for a BR box that you can build for not more than 80 EUR.

This way you can build a sub with 1000W RMS that can go very loud and fairly low for around 300 EUR.

Marjan Milosevic

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2006, 11:32:02 AM »

One more thing.

As a user of 4 Mackie ART300A i would have recommend Mackies, but...
Mine are with RCF technology inside. Todays Mackie products are using made in china speakers which are can not be compared with RCF's in any way.

Oh, and for the amp. If you build you own boxes as i recommended (which does not have to be the case) for 1200 EUR you will have enough for some serious amp.

I would take some new light weight amps like the new OSC PLX line or Crown XTi.

One 2x1200W on 4 ohm amp bridged for two subs will give excellent results. That is two amps in your case.

Alan Star

• http://namaska.com
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2006, 10:24:07 PM »

I have a pair of mackie srs1500's (old version of swa1501's) and I love them, they are great for small house parties etc. so handy being active with everything built in, for bigger outdoor stuff of course they are absolutely useless, you might as well not even bother. But for small gatherings, they are great, I run the new rcf art310a's and top of them and they sound hot. I would go for the rcf subs for sure, I would happily pay a bit extra for rcf over mackie nowadays.

Adam Whetham

• Grand Forks, ND
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2006, 04:18:53 AM »

I have had 4 of the old 1500's by mackie and I have 4 new 1501's from them. one a year older than the other set. I have had no issues with mine at all. and haven't heard much for issues from people on the mackie boards as I frequent there also.

I would look at the yorkville option though. the RCF is another good choice.

The mackie's are a great sub in my rental inventory. DJ's and bands constantly rent them out every weekend, they take the abuse of getting thrown in the back of hatchbacks, down a flight of stairs. kick drum clipping, and every weekend they come back still pumping out sound like a champ. I can't complain about them other than the finish will start wearing off after a year of heavy use. Do yourself a favor and get them Line-X'd. We did that to ours and the added finnish makes them look even nicer.

I'm planning on trying out the Yorkie's myself. as I want to give my customers some more options.
-I practice safe excursion on the weekends.

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -Paul Neal "Red" Adair

Michael Ioia

• http://www.jmaentertainment.com
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2006, 04:27:39 PM »

Look into the EV SbA760 ... It's a little over a $1,000 but packs a big punch.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 19 queries.