ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Signal Processing?  (Read 2001 times)

Dan Haddad

Signal Processing?
« on: November 26, 2006, 05:05:14 PM »

I am currently useing a DBX driverack for my system (JBL SRX/all QSCPLX amps).

The system sounds good, but not great.

If i were to upgrade the processor to something more 'pro' would i have alot to gain? I do all mobile type events (think live DJ in a school gym).

What are your thoughts?
Hotmix Entertainment
http://Http://www.hotmixent.com
Michigan Mobile DJ Service.

Geri O'Neil

Re: Signal Processing?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2006, 05:43:08 PM »

Oooh, where to start?... Twisted Evil

First, which DBX model of Driverack do you have? That's not an important question, all of the DR models offer an excellent level of performance and features. And PUULLEEZEE don't take this personally, but from the nature of your question, the performance (or "pro-ness") of the DR isn't your issue. Specifically, what are the issues you're having? Not loud enough? Not enough low-end? High-end? Muddy? Honky? Tinny? Acne (oops)? Each problem has its own approach to settling them. are you using the JBL-recommended settings for those speakers? One other thing to think about is that you mentioned working in  high-school gyms. Man, there is no processor or amount of money that is gonna fix the inherent problems of working in a space as reverberant and reflective as a high school gym. So another question would be "is the problem with your system or the space you're working in?".

My opinion is that the DriveRack will serve you just fine for now. You would do well to seek out information on how to make sound systems work to their best. Asking questions here is a good way to start. You can get good answers here or be directed to where you can find them for yourself.

Oh, and leave the DJ part out... Laughing

Get a little more specific with your questions and you'll get better answers.

Geri O
"Stagelite Sound...A Pin 2 hot-compliant company"

Tom Reid

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2006, 06:19:35 PM »

One of the best fixes you can do for your system is to hang a parachute in the middle of the gym roof.

...and start with the JBL config parameters.
tom

What does Buddha do on his day off?

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2006, 06:20:59 PM »

This may or may not apply to you, but many people think that simply putting a particular piece of gear into their system will make it better.  Sometimes quite the opposite is true, expically if they do not know how to use it-PROPERLY.

As Geri said, learning more about the way to get the most out ofyour system would be a good start.  And you will have that knowledge with you-no matter what system you are running.

As for specifics like Geri asked-What model speakers, amps, what crossover points and types are you using, what eq filters are you using etc.  There are so many different things that can make a system "sound" the way it does.
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Dan Haddad

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2006, 07:58:45 PM »

Sorry guys i posted very quickly.

Let me give you full info  Laughing

System is:

2 JBL SRX725 on the tops (bi amped)
2 JBL SRX728s.

Amps powering are:
tops: 1 QSCPLX2402 (horns)
mids: 1 QSCPLX3402
Subs: 2 QSCPLX23602

I have a DRPA and am using all the system factory specs.

I have applied some subharmonic synth(not sure the exact settings, and RTA the system) I run my EQ pretty flat with the JBL specs.

The overall system sounds a little muddy. What i am really concerned with is the low end, i want to get it much more punchy.

The mixer source is a DJM600, and my audio signal is CDs.

I hope that is a bit more descriptive.

I was told that something that would allow me to place specific DSP on each output rather then on the whole signal will help me get better control of the system.
Hotmix Entertainment
http://Http://www.hotmixent.com
Michigan Mobile DJ Service.

Andy Peters

• http://www.latke.net/
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2006, 08:01:15 PM »

Dan Haddad wrote on Sun, 26 November 2006 17:58

I have a DRPA and am using all the system factory specs.

I have applied some subharmonic synth(not sure the exact settings, and RTA the system) I run my EQ pretty flat with the JBL specs.

The overall system sounds a little muddy. What i am really concerned with is the low end, i want to get it much more punchy.

First, turn off the subharmonic synth.  Next, forget that the feature even exists.

Quote:

I was told that something that would allow me to place specific DSP on each output rather then on the whole signal will help me get better control of the system.

Yes, you're much better off using parametrics in each passband than using the graphic across the whole thing.

-a
"This isn't some upside down inverted Socratic method where you throw out your best guess answers and I correct your work." -- JR

"On the Internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

Mac Kerr

• SR Forums
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2006, 10:34:33 PM »

Dan Haddad wrote on Sun, 26 November 2006 19:58

If you read the manual you will find that each of the stereo outputs, Low, Mid, and High has a limiter, and an alignment delay. The low and mid outputs also have a 2 band parametric eq, and the high output has a 3 band parametric. I think I would define this as having DSP on each output.

As Andy suggested, lose the sub harmonic synth.

Mac

Tom Reid

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2006, 10:42:08 PM »

On a DRPA one gets a parametric and a shelf on low and mid.  High has 2 parametrics and a shelf.

tom

What does Buddha do on his day off?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 20 queries.