ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Sources for cat5 snake with 2 XLR channels.  (Read 14091 times)

Dan Meier

• SR Forums
  • Montreal - Canada
Sources for cat5 snake with 2 XLR channels.
« on: February 20, 2011, 12:42:22 PM »

Hello,
one of the acts I'm touring with owns a iLive system (T80 + IDR32/16). The snake they bought with the board a year ago is more "install-grade" than what you want to have on a touring rig. 
We had two major failures last week (system froze with the left main channel muted and total loss of control ) After investigation from the candian importer, it was discovered that there was a problem with the cat5 cable and with the ACE connector on the surface. The connector got fixed, and we have loaner snake for the time they fix ours.
But it is time to buy a better snake.
I also use 2 channels of analog processing for the two money channels (XL42/Distressors) so I would like at least two analog lines included. I was thinking 2 cat5, to have a backup.
The canadian importer only sells install-grade snakes, so I am looking for a source in Canada, for a 2 cat5 with ethercon + 2 XLR tour-grade 250' snake. Anybody has an idea where I can get something like that?
BTW, I live in Canada.

Thank you for your help.

Long live the new forums...

Dan

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: Sources for cat5 snake with 2 XLR channels.
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 01:03:28 PM »

Hello,
one of the acts I'm touring with owns a iLive system (T80 + IDR32/16). The snake they bought with the board a year ago is more "install-grade" than what you want to have on a touring rig. 
We had two major failures last week (system froze with the left main channel muted and total loss of control ) After investigation from the candian importer, it was discovered that there was a problem with the cat5 cable and with the ACE connector on the surface. The connector got fixed, and we have loaner snake for the time they fix ours.
I also use 2 channels of analog processing for the two money channels (XL42/Distressors) so I would like at least two analog lines included. I was thinking 2 cat5, to have a backup.
The canadian importer only sells install-grade snakes, so I am looking for a source in Canada, for a 2 cat5 with ethercon + 2 XLR tour-grade 250' snake. Anybody has an idea where I can get something like that?
BTW, I live in Canada.

Getting everything you want in a single jacket may be both difficult and expensive. Why not just get a couple of rugged duty ethercon cables from a quality manufacturer like Wireworks, or Whirlwind, and a 6pr audio snake, and bundle them with your FOH power cable. It won't be a big bundle, it will be easier to replace a component that fails, and it can still be handled as a single cable run. I would want at least the 6pr audio cable if you are already dedicating 2 to microphones. You probably will want a channel or 2 for comm at some point, and a talkback line to a monitor console.

Mac

Dan Meier

• SR Forums
  • Montreal - Canada
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 01:16:36 PM »

Getting everything you want in a single jacket may be both difficult and expensive. Why not just get a couple of rugged duty ethercon cables from a quality manufacturer like Wireworks, or Whirlwind, and a 6pr audio snake, and bundle them with your FOH power cable. It won't be a big bundle, it will be easier to replace a component that fails, and it can still be handled as a single cable run. I would want at least the 6pr audio cable if you are already dedicating 2 to microphones. You probably will want a channel or 2 for comm at some point, and a talkback line to a monitor console.

Mac

Yes, all good points... Back to the drawing board...

Cheers

Dan

Tim Tyler

• Richmond, Va USA
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 02:15:52 PM »

Dan -

Perhaps Sommer Cable Monocat Power 212...

http://www.sommercable.com/3__produkte/3__030_meterware/3__500_0171_2.html

-Tim T

Thomas Lamb

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 02:41:04 PM »

Link USA makes a catv / analog solution as well as a cat6 aes rated solution I know they make a 2/16 but don't remember if the other is 2/8 or 2/32.
bigTlamb

"If you suck on a functional analog desk, you'll really suck on a complex digital desk...." Dick Rees

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
Not to Code

RaySoly

• Retired IATSE 56 MONTREAL
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 04:42:19 PM »

Hello,
BTW, I live in Canada.

Thank you for your help.

Dan

The Sommer cable is a good choice.......I know both Solotech and Westbury.com resell the A&H approved proplex PCCAT5EP 1 cat5 and the PCCAT5EPX2 Dual CAT5e......... From the A&H site pdf I found this info:

http://www.allen-heath.com/dl/iLive%20Series/Application%20Notes/Understanding%20ACE_rev_09NOV09.pdf

Also I had a discussion with an A&H rep about redundancy .....

Complete redundancy would be to have 2 individual ACE ports for parallel connection.  This can be done between iDR MixRack units and the M-ACE cards, which have dual ports for either redundancy, or daisy-chaining/digital split.  The T surfaces only have one ACE port, so redundancy is not possible with these.
With managed switches, you would be able to have a two cable system in-between the surface and the iDR, but connection from the switchers to the iLive units would be a single connection, so redundant to a certain level.

It is possible to use the network connection between a T surface and an iDR, though this won't transmit the audio, control only.
The system seems to have issues when the ACE and network is connected simultaneously to the same units.  And the Editor software would be a redundant controller in this case anyways.

In any case, I use a wireless router(connected to the mixrack) with an editor running side by side with the surface at foh should I loose ACE connection ....but you should still only use A&H approved cat5 in the first place....the whirlwind is definitely not approved (or tested?), although it might still work ......I would get the redundant cat5,s and run at least a 6pr as suggested by Mac.......

hope this helps

Ray

Dan Brown

• SR Forums
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 10:04:34 AM »

Link cabling makes a 2 * cat6 and 2 * AES/EBU or XLR pair in one jacket
FYI

db

Hello,
BTW, I live in Canada.

Thank you for your help.

Dan

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 10:17:01 AM »

thesuperspike, please go to your profile and put your full name in the name field.

Thank you or your cooperation.
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Dan Meier

• SR Forums
  • Montreal - Canada
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 10:40:05 AM »

Hi all,
We decided to go the with the solution proposed by Mac: separate cat5 and audio snakes, bundled together. Easier to change one of the elements in case of failure, more choices of retailers = better prices.

Thanks for all the replies.

Cheers
Dan

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 10:40:05 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 22 queries.