ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The funny stuff you see from the monitor desk  (Read 2061 times)

Woody Nuss

The funny stuff you see from the monitor desk
« on: November 19, 2006, 02:48:13 PM »

I had a thread before about funny things that musicians say to you in monitor world. This one is a visual.
Last night I was doing a corporate. Some rich guy's birthday party with full production and 10 or 12 guys onstage rocking out to classic rock. (think "Keep on rocking in the free world" for 28 minutes)
Anyway, at one point I scoot over to check on the drummer and I see that he is playing one-handed. I think he has some problem until I get a better angle.
He is texting on his cel phone during the song! One hand drumming, one hand texting. Good thing they weren't playing a Def Leopard song. Surprised

Dave Barnett

Re: The funny stuff you see from the monitor desk
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2006, 06:15:09 PM »

Did a monitor mix for Spirit once in the mid-1980s.  Randy California requested an SM57 for his vocal.  Every time he backed away from the microphone, a string of spit stretched from his lower lip to the microphone, perfectly side-lit by the stage lighting.  He could get more than a foot from the mic before the string of spit would snap.

Lee Brenkman

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2006, 07:06:04 PM »

One fine summer night at a "mountain winery" South of San Jose Callifornia, I was in monitor land for the performance of two "blue eyed soul brothers".

Due to my location and the angle of the side lighting I, and only I could clearly see the clear monofiliment blowing out from the back of one of their heads. Sometimes sticking out nearly horizontally in the breeze.

It was part of the weave that held his hairpiece on.

And then in my days at FOH with the fellow we will call "sometimes grumpy but great Irish R&B singer" he decided that verbal instructions or hand signals to monitor land were not what he was about.

The next gig there was a table next to his stage position which, along with his beverage and harmonicas, an array of flash cards for him to pick up and for my partner at the other end of the snake to see.

"More bass", "Less drums" "Brighten up Voice" etc.

The same artist also, for a while, had "funny stuff" AT the monitor desk.  A "Mr. Coffee" with instructions to the monitor tech to dump out the old pot and brew a fresh one every 15 minutes in case a truly fresh cup on stage should he want one.

"I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened."
— Mark Twain

Mike Lieman

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006, 10:19:30 PM »

Lee Brenkman wrote on Sun, 19 November 2006 19:06

The same artist also, for a while, had "funny stuff" AT the monitor desk.  A "Mr. Coffee" with instructions to the monitor tech to dump out the old pot and brew a fresh one every 15 minutes in case a truly fresh cup on stage should he want one.

I'm not sure I have a problem with that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 18 queries.