ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stones Show  (Read 6845 times)

Tim McCulloch

Re: Stones Show
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2006, 04:39:51 am »

I dont know what arrangements were made for Morrison's sets as I wasn't working those shows.  When I enquired about the Onyx, I was told it was used for the B stage and opening act...

I'm pretty sure an artist of Morrison's stature could get whatever they wanted from the Clair inventory. Wink

Tim Mc
"Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?" Crack The Sky

Too Tall (Curtis H. List)

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2006, 07:07:53 pm »

Tom Manchester wrote on Wed, 15 November 2006 22:32

As I understand it Dave Natale really prefers analog stuff to mix on. Also notice how neat he keeps FOH as well? Looks very clean and easy to work in. Those old PM4k's are awesome, some of them used on that tour had very low Clair bro's serial numbers, they certainly show their age and I never really appreciated how heavy one is until I saw that it took about 5 guys to wrestle the one they used for Kanye West's monitor mix during changeover.

For a 4k with dog house and in the case 5 people is short.
Worse yet is the Soundcraft Europa.

This is why you want to use a PM3500 when it will cover the work. Not everyone can afford a hundred stagehands for their setup.

b
That rig kicks butt though, for having no dedicated ground stacked subs it really rattles the place. I asked Jay about how hard they were pressing it on Kanye West's set which was rattling the stadium and he said they were probably just tickling the amps. Awesoma' Powah![/quote]

Too Tall
        Curtis H. List    
             Bridgeport, Mich.   
        I.A.T.S.E. Local # 274 (Gold Card)
        Lansing, Mich
Independent Live Sound Engineer (and I'm Tall Too!)

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2006, 07:10:45 pm »

Michael 'Bink' Knowles wrote on Wed, 15 November 2006 14:05

Never thought I'd see a big Mackie board at STONES FOH!  Shocked

-Bink

Well...Mick was a business major right?
Too Tall
        Curtis H. List    
             Bridgeport, Mich.   
        Lansing, Mich

« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2006, 07:25:42 pm »

Dave Dermont wrote on Thu, 16 November 2006 15:16

Not only a PM4K, but a couple DBX 900 racks too. Them things go back way past the turn of the century.

Hey, what's that silver thing in the top of the middle rack, over the 900s? Don't it kinda look like a double-cassette tape deck. Laughing

I REALLY like how we are all "Hey! Looka! A Crappy Old Yamaha!"

Hey Dave,
There still are people in this industry who believe if you can’t get it done on a PM3000 you should get out of the business.

Nothing wrong with Buford Jones wanting to use whatever is his latest favorite, but I watched him walk up to Yam 3k and wear it like a old comfortable pair of jeans.
Never so much as a frown that he had to mix Faith Hill on something so old they didn’t make it anymore.
Too Tall
        Curtis H. List    
             Bridgeport, Mich.   
        Lansing, Mich

Michael Prasuhn

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2006, 02:32:40 am »

Too Tall (Curtis H. List) wrote on Sat, 18 November 2006 17:25

[snip]

Nothing wrong with Buford Jones wanting to use whatever is his latest favorite, but I watched him walk up to Yam 3k and wear it like a old comfortable pair of jeans.
Never so much as a frown that he had to mix Faith Hill on something so old they didn?t make it anymore.

Reminds me of an engineer that I only know by the name Shamus, that has been mentioned on the board several times. I met him while he was mixing Chris Cagle, and he was carrying desks and ears. He had an 840 out front and mentioned how much he likes it and how when he shows up at many of the bigger festivals with it, other 'engineers' would literally snicker at him as they stood behind their H3ks and PM4ks and whatever flavor they had. He bragged that he could consistently out-mix them, and after hearing his amazing mix that night, I believe him. Talented guy that used an old and familiar tool to show of his craftsmanship.

-Mikey P
Michael D. Prasuhn
Freelance audio engineer and technical director/IT
http://mikeyp.net

Gabe Nahshon

« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2006, 01:00:53 pm »

Hey boys and girls,

The company I work for, Sound On Stage, was on tour with Van for what was supposed to be 3 shows but only ended up being 2.  We took  out a H3000 for John out front and a 5D for monitors.  Van used a mixture of lacoustics 115xt wedges, ARCS and sb218s for sidefills, and our proprietary KB2 wedges.  I believe the guys used something like 500 feet of QL for the main snake run on these shows which is the one things that astounded me the most.

Having worked a few van morrison shows in the past couple years I can say he runs a very pro operation with an excellent crew.  The band really rocks the house as well.  

cheers,
Gabe

Lee Brenkman

« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2006, 03:36:28 pm »

Gabe,

somehow I didn't think John would go for the Mackie Onyx Wink.

Lee
"I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened."
— Mark Twain

Tim McCulloch

« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2006, 01:32:57 am »

FWIW.. the opener on the show I was working was Black Rebel Motorcycle Club.  It was their first show on the tour and they were added only a couple of days before the gig.

I would expect Morrison to use whatever he's accustomed to on stage, and at that point what's a few more things for FOH?

I only know what Dave Natale told me, that night, for that show.

And it was fun!

Tim Mc
"Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?" Crack The Sky

Rob Ottaviano

« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2006, 08:16:59 pm »

Soulive opened the Stones show in A.C. the other night. 4K foh and monitors.

One thing I noticed when setting backline was the protools rig,thinking to myself no freak'in way it's the Stones.It turns out that the backline techs use the rig to record themselves

Rob Ottaviano
I.A.T.S.E #77
Atlantic City, NJ
It ain't the gear,it's the ear !!!
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 19 queries.