ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Good finish repair for plastic speakers?  (Read 3157 times)

(Brian) Frost

Good finish repair for plastic speakers?
« on: November 16, 2006, 03:37:04 am »

Who has found a good technique to help repair the finish on a plastic cabinet like an srm450?
Frost

Owner, Narnia Productions

www.NarniaProductions.com

Chicago IL

Good is good but not as good as better

Ken Freeman

Re: Good finish repair for plastic speakers?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2006, 12:53:01 pm »

Repair, as in fill a hole?  Not so easy.  I have punch holes filled are a surf shop.  Corner damage for most spells death as the repair costs often exceed a replacement cabinet structure

General cleaing:  Goof Off.

Scratch marks:  Armour All....Once you set it in the sun for a while, the AA does go white, but you can wipe it right back down again.  

Ken

Emil "Gus" Gawaziuk

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006, 01:58:06 pm »

The main thing when trying to repair any type of plastic is to determine the type of plastic they are using.  By far the easiest to repair is ABS, as it will take a variety of autobody type products without too much hassle.  Same goes with paint.  Unfortunately, most self powered speakers are built out of some type olefin-based plastic (polyethylene, polypropolyne, etc.) that has an inherent "slippery" quality to it.  More impact resistant than ABS due to it's nature, big PITA to refinish.  Luckily, there are some very good 2part autobody products that are designed to repair this type of plastic, along with specialty bonding primers to make it stick.  Go have a visit with your local autobody supplier...... they will have something for you.

For smaller scratched and the like, try careful heatgun application. Soften it to the point of flowing a bit, most of the time minor scratches will just melt in..... carefully.  Old trick in the automotive repair industry if you happen to accidentally scratch an interior plastic bit.....  little gentle heat will make the scratch less visible, but not disappear entirely......

Wherever I go, that is where I end up.

(Brian) Frost

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2006, 02:47:21 pm »

Yeah,
Im just talking about making an older pair of srm450s look newer again.  They arent broken but they are showing their age.  I think heat gun massaging might just do the trick.

Frost
Frost

Owner, Narnia Productions

www.NarniaProductions.com

Chicago IL

Good is good but not as good as better

Chris Davis

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2006, 05:21:50 pm »

I was thinking about a "gentle heat" application in the back of my mind also, but was being good.  Twisted Evil

index.php/fa/6648/0/

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2006, 05:21:50 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 21 queries.