ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Opinion on new QSC amps?  (Read 20523 times)

(Brian) Frost

Opinion on new QSC amps?
« on: November 13, 2006, 03:33:15 PM »

Im currently running 10 qsc pl236 amps.  I like them very much.  I am building another rig and Im wondering what people think of the new plx3602.  Specifically Im wonering if people who own both have a preference.

Frost
Frost

Owner, Narnia Productions

www.NarniaProductions.com

Chicago IL

Good is good but not as good as better

Josh Billings

• http://www.mindboxmedia.com/soundsystem
Re: Opinion on new QSC amps?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2006, 10:31:39 PM »

As far as i've heard is that internally they are pretty much identical to the 3402 (the older version). This is from a rep at QSC Directly. The Pl236 has a data port and some other fancy gizmos but input and output stuff is pretty much the same.

Hope this helps

-Josh Billings

Ed Walters

• Holland, MI, USA
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 06:29:50 AM »

Caveat:  I am a QSC dealer.

I've used/listened to the PL2, PLX, and PLX2 lines extensively.

One consideration when comparing them is to compare similar topologies -- some models are class AB, most are class H; there are subtle differences in sound which do not indicate a difference between lines.

That said, my impression is that the PL2 line is somewhat more neutral and somewhat tighter sounding.  They give the impression of having less bottom, when in fact the "less" is less overhang.  The PL2 line is very revealing of source and speaker problems.  The PLX and PLX2 lines, on the other hand, could be said to be "musical" -- or veiled -- depending on the spin you want to hear/use/sell.  These differences are not large -- when we compared them we did it in a reasonable acoustic environment with studio monitors and measured identical amplifier outputs.  

If you are going to overdrive the amps (below 2 ohms or well into clipping, etc.) the PL2 will be slightly more robust/recover from overload slightly more cleanly.  All of them will actually drive 2 ohm loads with full power test signals long enough to measure the output, unlike some other highly regarded amplifers.  

At their price point, the PLX/PLX2 are hard to beat for sound/power/features/reliability.  At their price point, the PL2 have a fair amount of competition.

As an aside, if your needs fit the product, the original PL series (what remains of it) are seriously good as well -- but they are deeper, taller, heavier, and can have significantly more power....

Ed Walters
The Solution LLC: certified: AMX, Audio Architect, Composer, ControlSpace, CTS, DanteL3/DDM, Tesira, and more.

Bob Lee (QSC)

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2006, 02:49:22 PM »

Aside from the configuration switches, the high-pass filter, signal level display, and the DataPort-related circuitry, the audio and power supply circuitry of the PLX 3602 is nearly identical to the PL 236.
Bob Lee
Applications Engineer, Tech Services Group QSC Audio
Secretary, Audio Engineering Society
www.linkedin.com/in/qscbob

"If it sounds good, it is good."
 -Duke Ellington

jeffhtg (Jeff Kenney)

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2006, 08:50:05 PM »

The pl236 is loaded with a bunch of great features. The pl 06 series is bang-for-your-buck power.

Both of those amps generate a bit of heat Smile - but good solid amps!

Ryan Garnett

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2006, 10:54:54 PM »

I just picked up my first PLX2 a few weeks ago...must say it's performing extremely well Smile

Ken Freeman

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2006, 10:58:22 PM »

All my QSC stuff has been great.  I have 4 3402's from very early in there product life and they have been solid for years.  I suspect these will give you a long life.

Ken

Bob Leonard

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2006, 12:35:34 AM »

I have used QSC amps for many years recently retiring an old USA-850, 10 years old. I have used and heard both of the amps you mention and own a few of the PLX series amps as well. Other than some additional management features there seems to be very little difference. I have never had a QSC amp fail and would expect the same from any QSC amp regardless of series.
The roar of the grease paint, the smell of the crowd.

jeffhtg (Jeff Kenney)

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2006, 03:07:58 AM »

I bet I have you beat on old qsc amps..

I will say this.. they WILL FAIL. but I have some big mx amps that were installed early 90's and just now need to be recapped or replaced Smile   and THATS in a nightclub with fog , crappy atmospheric control, and running close to clip all the time!

David Gardner

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2006, 01:08:09 PM »

Any word on the new QSC's that are in development?  

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2006, 01:08:09 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 23 queries.