ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Opinion on new QSC amps?  (Read 20492 times)

mel taylor

Re: Opinion on new QSC amps?
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2006, 01:35:40 PM »

For those of you who are concerned w/ (can hear) sound quality, try a blind comparison w/ any qsc (or new generation crown) vs. any professional concert amp... lab g, camco, dynacord, etc.
no doubt that qsc's are reliable and big bang for the buck, but the fidelity is just not there.  
you get what you pay for.
Mel

Andy Peters

• http://www.latke.net/
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2006, 02:09:08 PM »

mel taylor wrote on Sun, 19 November 2006 11:35

For those of you who are concerned w/ (can hear) sound quality, try a blind comparison w/ any qsc (or new generation crown) vs. any professional concert amp... lab g, camco, dynacord, etc.
no doubt that qsc's (sic) are reliable and big bang for the buck, but the fidelity is just not there.  

Please describe your test set-up.  Show all work.

-a
"This isn't some upside down inverted Socratic method where you throw out your best guess answers and I correct your work." -- JR

"On the Internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

John Horvath

• http://www.alanproaudio.com
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2006, 02:09:09 PM »

mel taylor wrote on Sun, 19 November 2006 12:35

try a blind comparison w/ any qsc (or new generation crown) vs. any professional concert amp... lab g, camco, dynacord, etc.
no doubt that qsc's are reliable and big bang for the buck, but the fidelity is just not there.

Oh great, here we go again..
-John

Alan Pro Audio
219-769-3600

mel taylor

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2006, 04:30:01 PM »

Andy Peters wrote on Sun, 19 November 2006 19:09

Please describe your test set-up.  Show all work.

-a

venice output into DN 1248+, into various amps, into passive switcher, into one 8Ohm-two way cab.  Match sensitivities by attenuators, listen and switch.
very simple.  
mt

Ken Freeman

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2006, 05:24:02 PM »

Yeah and I like my 40 year old Mac MC 240 way better than all this newfangled transistor stuff....All 40 watts of it!

Hey Mel, not buying into the description of your critical listening test.  You are going to have to describe your double blind listening test and why you used a speaker processor that I regulary bypass because it sounds like crap.  I have hunderds of amplifiers from the likes of Crest, QSC, Crown, BGW, Ramsa, Apogee, UREI, EV, Yamaha, etc.  We bench these all the time and rarely find a big difference between any of the majors brands other than output power and how they behave under stress.  You are entitled to your opinion, of course, but understand that you will be challenged on your findings when you throw really good products under the bus...

Ken

Geri O'Neil

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2006, 06:45:19 PM »

mel taylor wrote on Sun, 19 November 2006 12:35

Mel

Mel, yours is an opinion that will be shared with next to no one. We have done blind listening tests with the Pls, PLX series and Labs among others. While we are a Lab Gruppen house, we could find no audible differences that we could verify or consistently reproduce.

Oh, and by the way, your condescending statement of "those whoe are concerned/can hear sound quality" wreaks of holier-than-thou"-ism. It means nothing in a professional forum. Why can't you just offer an opinion, popular or otherwise, without some little wordbombs such as that? It gets you nowhere.

Yes, you are entitled you your opinion, yada yada ad naseum beyond belief-eum (yes, a little gem from the GSS manual)

Geri "I kinda like this contrarian thing, even though I don't do it so well" O
"Stagelite Sound...A Pin 2 hot-compliant company"

Scott Flaws

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2006, 07:09:08 PM »

Ditto to what Geri said.

I have over 30 QSC amps in my invetory and wouldnt trade them for anything else.

Ryan Lantzy

• http://www.lhsoundandlight.com
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2006, 12:15:36 AM »

mel taylor wrote on Sun, 19 November 2006 13:35

Bull*cough*shurgggt*cough*

Ryan Lantzy
"In the beginner's mind the possibilities are many, in the expert's mind they are few."

mel taylor

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2006, 09:43:11 AM »

Ken Freeman wrote on Sun, 19 November 2006 22:24

Yeah and I like my 40 year old Mac MC 240 way better than all this newfangled transistor stuff....All 40 watts of it!

Hey Mel, not buying into the description of your critical listening test.  You are going to have to describe your double blind listening test and why you used a speaker processor that I regulary bypass because it sounds like crap.  I have hunderds of amplifiers from the likes of Crest, QSC, Crown, BGW, Ramsa, Apogee, UREI, EV, Yamaha, etc.  We bench these all the time and rarely find a big difference between any of the majors brands other than output power and how they behave under stress.  You are entitled to your opinion, of course, but understand that you will be challenged on your findings when you throw really good products under the bus...

Ken

Ken,
no speaker processor used in my tests.  
You are also entitled to your opinion, and from your expressed opinions here, I likely wouldn't get along with you when it comes to audio, no offense personally.
I'm not throwing any products under the bus.  Their amps are good, reliable, lot's o' watts to $s, etc.  Just like other companies, they have their place.  For me, it's just not when you demand the best.

mel taylor

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2006, 09:57:28 AM »

Geri O wrote on Sun, 19 November 2006 23:45

Mel, yours is an opinion that will be shared with next to no one. We have done blind listening tests with the Pls, PLX series and Labs among others. While we are a Lab Gruppen house, we could find no audible differences that we could verify or consistently reproduce.

Oh, and by the way, your condescending statement of "those whoe are concerned/can hear sound quality" wreaks of holier-than-thou"-ism. It means nothing in a professional forum. Why can't you just offer an opinion, popular or otherwise, without some little wordbombs such as that? It gets you nowhere.

Yes, you are entitled you your opinion, yada yada ad naseum beyond belief-eum (yes, a little gem from the GSS manual)

Geri,
No problem if you don't agree.  I don't need yours, or anyone on the LABs reinforcement to believe what I know.  I have plenty of trusted colleagues in the industry whom I collaborate w/ and question for second opinions. Let's just say we disagree.
I didn't intend to offend anyone, so please don't be so defensive.  Not every job requires the best fidelity possible, and this should be considered when specifying equipment- - that was all I meant.  However, again, for those engineers and applications requiring the highest possible fidelity at every point in the signal chain, there is no room for "good enough".  

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2006, 09:57:28 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 22 queries.