ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Dante MYcards and Protools 9  (Read 13384 times)

David Hadfield

Dante MYcards and Protools 9
« on: February 20, 2011, 05:31:19 AM »

Thought I would mention this for those who are interested.

I just managed to get 48 tracks into Protools 9 - the older versions didn't allow core audio inputs. There isn't much info around so I borrowed a card from Yamaha for our M7 to give it a try. 16ch worked fine so we purchased 2 cards and kept the loaner just so I could make sure that Tools would happily run at 48 inputs through the Dante Virtual Soundcard.

It works fine and is pretty easy to set up. Only using 100Mb switches at the moment too...

cheers

Dave

Duncan McLennan

• Ontario, Canada
Re: Dante MYcards and Protools 9
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 10:35:10 AM »

Really good to know. I'm putting a small recording rig together for a club (with an 01v96) and have been seriously looking at Dante.

It looks really hard to beat. We have a radio station that broadcasts from upstairs, and Dante would give us the added advantage of being able to pull tracks for the station for live to air shows. But they don't want another console (no $$), and most of the people recording downstairs just want a raw PT session.

For the station, we're considering mixing the radio feed right in ProTools, using the tracks taken from Dante. I don't know if you've tried something like this, but does it sound plausible? Latency obviously isn't really an issue - there's a couple seconds of delay for the signal to reach the tower and transmit anyway.

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 03:13:44 PM »

Which Dante card is that? And Are you running one of the HD interfaces for Protools? Or are you using what was formerly know as LE?
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

David Hadfield

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 10:10:17 PM »

Which Dante card is that? And Are you running one of the HD interfaces for Protools? Or are you using what was formerly know as LE?

the Card is a MY16AUD for the M7CL. Using P/tools 9 - not HD. I think you are able to record up to 64 tracks with the standard software. I managed 48 with no problems.

David Hadfield

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 10:18:29 PM »

For the station, we're considering mixing the radio feed right in ProTools, using the tracks taken from Dante. I don't know if you've tried something like this, but does it sound plausible? Latency obviously isn't really an issue - there's a couple seconds of delay for the signal to reach the tower and transmit anyway.

The problem with using the DVS software as your input, you need to change the playback engine to Dante - this then disables your local hardware. I am not sure if there is a way around this? So what happens, is you can see the audio coming in but can't listen to it. When you finish recording you can change your playback engine and then do your thing. You would need to have another Dante interface that would enable you to listen to your "live" protools mix - there would be no problem in doing something like that as you just patch your mix output back through DVS and into said interface. You could also patch through to an interface in the radio station so they get the same mix. The only latency would be what you set tools and the Dante cards to (you can go as low as .15ms with DAnte).

Joseph White, CTS

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 08:23:02 PM »

the Card is a MY16AUD for the M7CL. Using P/tools 9 - not HD. I think you are able to record up to 64 tracks with the standard software. I managed 48 with no problems.

I am interested in doing a similar setup with a M7CL and later with an iLive console for audio capture as well as for a virtual sound check. On the M7CL I could setup a scene that focuses only on the input patching to recall the Dante inputs and then to switch back to the mic pres.

Can ProTools HD interface with 64 DVS channels as well? or only 32?
Joseph White, CTS
Design Engineer

Andrew Welker

• Church and H.O.W. Forums
  • Denver, CO USA
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 01:26:44 AM »

The problem with using the DVS software as your input, you need to change the playback engine to Dante - this then disables your local hardware. I am not sure if there is a way around this? So what happens, is you can see the audio coming in but can't listen to it. When you finish recording you can change your playback engine and then do your thing. You would need to have another Dante interface that would enable you to listen to your "live" protools mix - there would be no problem in doing something like that as you just patch your mix output back through DVS and into said interface. You could also patch through to an interface in the radio station so they get the same mix. The only latency would be what you set tools and the Dante cards to (you can go as low as .15ms with DAnte).

If this is on a Mac, you can create what they call an aggregate audio device. Go to applications, select utilities, and open up the 'audio & midi editor'. From there you can create a device that contains any audio device that is on the PC including the Dante inputs and outputs. This device is then available to any program that uses the Core Audio drivers.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2011, 12:42:24 AM »

Assuming you have Dante, what other DAWs might work with it?
Mac or PC I guess. I only need to record and play back, not do mix down as I have a Pro Tools setup in the office (but not portable).
Less expensive is best for me in this case.
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

noisyboy9

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 09:23:10 PM »

Hi There,

Are you using Pro Tools HD in this application?

http://www.avid.com/US/products/family/Pro-Tools/compare

According to their link above Pro Tools 9 Standard can only record 32 tracks at once?

Airton Pereira

• The Knutz
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2011, 01:28:45 PM »

Hi There,

Are you using Pro Tools HD in this application?

http://www.avid.com/US/products/family/Pro-Tools/compare

According to their link above Pro Tools 9 Standard can only record 32 tracks at once?

I thought the same thing.
How did you manage to record 48 tracks?
Drummer and Sound Engineer for The Knutz.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2011, 01:28:45 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 24 queries.