ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Sabine Navigator NAV4800 System Processor  (Read 49986 times)

Joe Breher

• http://q-music.com
Re: Sabine Navigator NAV4800 System Processor
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2007, 07:21:36 PM »

Hey - lookee there - they do have some new models.

I wonder if that means the promised digital IO will never be available for these first-gen units. I'd love to be able to run AES/EBU outa my board into the processor.
Joe Breher
Liberty in my Lifetime!

http://q-music.com

Andrew Roberts

« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2007, 11:38:33 PM »

I too have been enjoying a NAV. When it's functioning properly, it is powerful and very competent. I'm using light compression on the inputs and a harder limiter on the outs. I also delay the input by about 10-15 feet to line the PA up with the acoustic sound of the drum kit. I have programmed patches for stereo 3-way, full range (for podium gigs), and even some for specific venues (with delays and some extra EQ). Overall, it has proven to be a great unit.

My beef however is with connectivity and a related reliability problem. I'm using my old laptop (P3, windows2000) and a Radio Shack USB to DB9 interface (which came with drivers on CDRom). On many occaisions, I have received the message "Must Log on to this device". Then, after entering my password, the same message pops up and I can't access anything. I have also experienced sporatic episodes where I'll lose an output (in this case, the sub output) and the display will no longer register input or output signals. As you could imagine, this has been a drag when its happened during a show. I have to yank the USB and go "front panel" to get back to something usable- bummer.OBTW, I'm running software v5.04 and firm v 5.11

I'm wondering if any of you have experienced this and what kind of interface cables you are using (and how succesfully).

Joe Breher

• http://q-music.com
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2007, 07:13:16 PM »

I haven't had a single issue with mine. Then again, I only have a couple dozen shows on it as of yet.

I drive it from an ancient Gateway PII/266 laptop. Windows 2000. The laptop has an honest-to-goodness RS-232 port.

I'd suspect an issue with the USB-RS-232 thingy. Is yours listed on the Sabine website as a 'tested to work with the NAV' model?

I can't recall what versions of FW and SW I'm running. It is whatever was current when I received the unit - I think I updated both before putting the unit into service.
Joe Breher
Liberty in my Lifetime!

http://q-music.com

Evan Kirkendall

• http://www.evankirkendall.com
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2007, 12:46:31 AM »

One thing I dont think I've mentioned with this yet is how transparent the compressor/limiters are on this thing. Somehow the threshold on my mains was backed down to -3db tonight and I was into a solid 10 or so db of compression. I didnt even really notice it until my mixer was going into the red and the amp was only showing -20 during soundcheck...

So, good job with the limiters Sabine! You cant hear them at all, and if you do, you gotta be hitting them hard. Yet another reason why you guys need to include a LED of some sort telling the user when you are hitting the comps. Wink

Evan
Not all change is good change.

Tim Padrick

« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2007, 10:33:18 PM »

It's a problem with the RS drivers - the ones on the CD are crap.      There's a download someplace for ones that work.

Jens Brewer

« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2007, 12:09:44 PM »

Andrew Roberts wrote on Sat, 24 February 2007 04:38

My beef however is with connectivity and a related reliability problem. I'm using my old laptop (P3, windows2000) and a Radio Shack USB to DB9 interface (which came with drivers on CDRom). On many occaisions, I have received the message "Must Log on to this device". Then, after entering my password, the same message pops up and I can't access anything. I have also experienced sporatic episodes where I'll lose an output (in this case, the sub output) and the display will no longer register input or output signals. As you could imagine, this has been a drag when its happened during a show. I have to yank the USB and go "front panel" to get back to something usable- bummer.OBTW, I'm running software v5.04 and firm v 5.11

USB to Serial converters really seem to be a hit-or-miss solution sometimes.  When I last upgraded my laptop 2 years ago it had no serial port and I went thru three different USB-RS232 adaptors (I/O Gear, Rat Shack, and one I can't remember) before I got a Sabine approved GoldX one:

http://www.computercablestore.com/detail.aspx?ID=1135

It's been great and has worked well with every other RS232 piece of geared I've tried (dbx, Ashly, XTA, etc.)  Give it a try.

Rob Spence

« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2007, 12:29:08 PM »

Yes, and to try and get one that works with both Sabine and DBX is a trick.
Rob Spence
Lynx Audio Services
E-Mail Rob -at- LynxAudioServices -dot- com

Staying out of trouble
  Is easier than
Getting out of trouble

Your local Whirlwind Dealer

Christopher Myers

« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2007, 12:23:42 PM »

Quote:

Yes, and to try and get one that works with both Sabine and DBX is a trick.

I use a PCMCIA to rs232 on my laptop that works flawlessly with both units.  Import electronics from Ebay style  Cool
Chris Myers
Tangent Productions, LLC

Doran Oster

« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2007, 08:50:02 PM »

New Navigators have both RS232 and USB on the front panel.  New NAV4802 and NAV8802 come standard with RS232, USB and ethernet.  Shipping begins next week.

Doran Oster
www.Sabine.com

Andrew Roberts

« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2007, 10:14:12 AM »

You know, its kind of funny how the radio shack setup seemed to work well at the start but things have gotten worse over time. I've since tried it with machines using XP and 2000 to no avail. I went to Staples the other day and picked up a Belkin adapter with CD drivers. It didn't work at all. As per some of your suggestions, I have ordered the GoldX unit and will report on that after using.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 19 queries.