ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Sabine Navigator NAV4800 System Processor  (Read 49983 times)

Ivan Beaver

Re: Sabine Navigator NAV4800 System Processor
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2006, 12:15:58 PM »

Are you trying to use the front panel access or the computer interface?

You will find the computer much more intuitive.  Once you know what the unit can/will do, the front panel access will make more sense.

Most DSP's that have front panel access are a bit confusing.  Take the easy road.
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Evan Kirkendall

• http://www.evankirkendall.com
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2006, 07:14:23 PM »

Just an update...

I finally figured out the damn thing. Ive got it setup for mono 3-way and aux sub. So, Im using 2 ins and 4 outs.

Ive still gotta tweak the settings for triamp, but Ive got good starting points. Cant wait to really dial it in and use it Saturday.

So far:
I did notice the unit does add a little bit of hiss to the system, but nothing that will be noticeable live.

Also, Im still having problems figuring out the comps. There seems to be no indication of when you are hitting them. I mean, when you hit them hard you can hear it, but other then that I cant tell. Are there supposed to be any indicators?

Evan
Not all change is good change.

Mac Kerr

• SR Forums
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2006, 07:35:48 PM »

Evan Kirkendall wrote on Mon, 27 November 2006 19:14

Also, Im still having problems figuring out the comps. There seems to be no indication of when you are hitting them. I mean, when you hit them hard you can hear it, but other then that I cant tell. Are there supposed to be any indicators?
I can't imagine ever wanting to use comps in a speaker processor. Limiters should be set to protect your speakers, and the limiter threshold level can be calculated if you know your amp gain, and the power you want to limit to. If you are hitting them often, you need more PA. You can't protect anything from misuse, as you seem to have discovered.

Mac

Evan Kirkendall

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2006, 07:40:00 PM »

Yes, I know. But, I cant seem to find a limiter feature on it. Maybe Im overlooking something?  Confused

Evan

Mac Kerr

• SR Forums
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2006, 07:50:50 PM »

Evan Kirkendall wrote on Mon, 27 November 2006 19:40

Yes, I know. But, I cant seem to find a limiter feature on it. Maybe Im overlooking something?  Confused
It's likely that for the limiter you just set the parameters of the compressor to infinite ratio and appropriate attack and release.

Mac

Evan Kirkendall

« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2006, 07:56:35 PM »

Mac Kerr wrote on Mon, 27 November 2006 19:50

Evan Kirkendall wrote on Mon, 27 November 2006 19:40

It's likely that for the limiter you just set the parameters of the compressor to infinite ratio and appropriate attack and release.

Mac

Which is what I did. 40:1 comp ratio and really fast eveything.

Evan

Bennett Prescott

• http://www.adraudio.com
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2006, 10:03:09 PM »

Be very careful, Evan. Limiter setting is not for the faint of heart, it seems a lot simpler than it actually is. You have to think... am I using this to prevent clipping? Am I using it to prevent voice coil over heating? Over excursion?

Remember, when you go into limiting, you're increasing the density of the waveform. Set them too high and you'll be making it easier, not harder, to blow up your boxes.
-- Bennett Prescott
Director of North American Sales
ADRaudio d.o.o.
Cell: (518) 488-7190

"Give me 6dB and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

Rob Spence

« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2006, 11:21:56 PM »

When budget permits I fully intend to replace my DR260 with a Navigator. I want the 3 inputs so I can run dual channel mono mains (or stereo if I feel like it) with aux subs.
Rob Spence
Lynx Audio Services
E-Mail Rob -at- LynxAudioServices -dot- com

Staying out of trouble
  Is easier than
Getting out of trouble

Your local Whirlwind Dealer

Evan Kirkendall

« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2006, 12:58:33 AM »

Update #2:

I used the Navigator tonight with my TRX's and UCS1's. I was just running 2 way mono with aux subs. It preformed great. Easy to do things on the fly and once you figure it out, its a very simple unit to use. One thing I really like about the unit is how bright the signal LED's are. I can tell how hard Im pushing things with no problems from FOH. The only thing Im not liking so far is the lack of limiter lights. I'd like to know when Im hitting the limiters, but I guess I can live without them...

Evan

Doran Oster

« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2006, 11:41:36 AM »

Hi Bennett and Evan,

Hard limiters typically clip high signal levels. Clipping means DC.  Clipping sounds terrible and DC leads to blown speakers.  This is why the Navigator does not offer a limiter.   The better solution is to put two independent compressors in series.

The Navigator’s first compressor is in each channel input section.  Set this one for controlling the channel’s dynamic range.  A relatively slow attack time and perhaps a faster release time might sound best here.  

The second compressor is in the output section.  It protects the speakers from overload.  Set the ratio as high as possible for a flat threshold.  Set the output threshold above the input threshold so that it does not kick in except in extreme cases, but of course, set it below the levels that could damage the speakers.  Set a very short attack time so that compression starts almost instantaneously and set a longer release time for caution.  This configuration gives a clean and transparent program with controlled dynamic range under normal conditions.  It protects your speakers from extreme levels quickly without clipping.

Our next software release adds metering and other improvements, and it will soon be available free at www.Sabine.com.

Doran Oster
President
www.Sabine.com

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 21 queries.