ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Yorkville UCS1  (Read 28729 times)

Evan Kirkendall

• http://www.evankirkendall.com
Re: Yorkville UCS1
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2006, 02:26:41 PM »

Yes, I know I needed more subbage. That's why Ive been looking at larger subs. I only clipped my plx3002 a few times with the UCS1's. They give me more of what I want. The 608's have come to the end of the road with me. Im going to be replacing them and stepping up to larger subs in the next few months.

Gig 3: The final gig.
Same place as gig 1. Still just as impressive. Heres a pic of the setup this time:

index.php/fa/6483/0/

Evan
Not all change is good change.

Greg Harwood

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2006, 12:44:41 PM »

Thought I would chime in on this discussion.  I just bought a pair fo UCS1 subs and had a chance to breifly compare them to my LS1004s. Keep in mind that this was not a scientific sound experiment, just a down and dirty quick comparison.

I normally run a pair of LS1004 subs pushed by 2 RMX1850HD amps with EF500P tops. I hooked up one LS1004 to an 1850 and the pair of UCS1s to my other 1850. I didn't touch any of my processing (which is set up for the LS1004s). I played a variety of recorded music through both sets of tops and subs. I listened to each sub set one at a time.  The pair of UCS1s definitely put out more sound than the one LS1004. The bass seemed to hit harder and was much cleaner sounding. The dual 18's seemed muddy and not well defined by comparison. I then unhooked one UCS1 and listened to a one-one-one comparison.  The LS1004 put out just a bit more than the single UCS1, but not by much (to my ears).

Like I said, this was not a professional scientific experiment, just a quick review of both subs. With some processing tweaking, the UCS1 may even put out more sound. I don't know if a pair of USC1 will put out as much as a pair of LS1004 (didn'have a 3rd amp so I couldn't hook up both dual 18s), but I bet it would be close.  I'm sure that 4 UCS1 would outperform 2 LS1004 by a wide margin.  I will test this if I ever get another pair of UCS1s.  Don't flame me for this information....this is just my observation from a 15 min. listening test.

I will be putting the UCS1s in a live music environment on Dec. 20th so I'll see how they do compared to the LS1004s.

Greg
Greg H.

Evan Kirkendall

• http://www.evankirkendall.com
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2006, 01:53:01 PM »

Just wait until you get more then 900w going into each UCS1. 1500w really brings them to life. They are quite impressive.

Also, tihnk about it. 1 UCS1 with 900w puts out just a little less bass then a LS1004 with 1800w. That means the UCS1 should kill with more power. Smile

Evan
Not all change is good change.

DjRudeBwoy

« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2009, 03:45:32 PM »

First time posting here so Hi to all. Question about your expereince with the UCS1, did you have better results coupling them standing up side by side or laying down side ways side by side? Which way gave you the most of two of them and which way gave you the most kick in the chest feel?

I've got two of the carpeted ones and run it off an XLS802 bridged. Although it's been doing me good for a while, many have told me that this amp wasn't designed to handle such a heavy load. I've run an AP4040 to them and it was night and day differance except when it kept cutting out on me. Yorkville rep told me to go with the AP4020 which will handle a 4 ohm bridged load but I see that I won't be giving the 2 USC1's enough power like many here have been running them. What would be ideal? Am I ok with the XLS802 or should I get rid of it and get the AP4020? Or should I get something else instead? Price is considered so I don't really want to pay for lightweight. For referance, if needed, I run 2 Yorkville E15's for tops with the two coupled UCS1 center infront a facade for DJ use.

Thanks, Stefan.
Stefan Brijlall
GTA Sound Pro DJs
www.gtasound.com

Bennett Prescott

• http://www.adraudio.com
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2009, 04:39:25 PM »

This thread is three years old.
-- Bennett Prescott
Director of North American Sales
ADRaudio d.o.o.
Cell: (518) 488-7190

"Give me 6dB and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

DjRudeBwoy

« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2009, 04:45:38 PM »

I realized that while posting but I couldn't find a better thread with pictures of the actual setup that I wanted to post in aside from starting yet another Yorkville UCS1 thread to add to the 20 odd pages of threads found in the search forum Smile

I'd like to have my question answered by people who've actually been in my position rather then a sales person reciting a spec sheet. I think that's fair.
Stefan Brijlall
GTA Sound Pro DJs
www.gtasound.com

Jeff Babcock

« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2009, 05:32:15 PM »

Stefan Brijlall wrote on Tue, 13 October 2009 15:45

First time posting here so Hi to all. Question about your expereince with the UCS1, did you have better results coupling them standing up side by side or laying down side ways side by side? Which way gave you the most of two of them and which way gave you the most kick in the chest feel?

I've got two of the carpeted ones and run it off an XLS802 bridged. Although it's been doing me good for a while, many have told me that this amp wasn't designed to handle such a heavy load. I've run an AP4040 to them and it was night and day differance except when it kept cutting out on me. Yorkville rep told me to go with the AP4020 which will handle a 4 ohm bridged load but I see that I won't be giving the 2 USC1's enough power like many here have been running them. What would be ideal? Am I ok with the XLS802 or should I get rid of it and get the AP4020? Or should I get something else instead? Price is considered so I don't really want to pay for lightweight. For referance, if needed, I run 2 Yorkville E15's for tops with the two coupled UCS1 center infront a facade for DJ use.

Thanks, Stefan.

OK, I'll bite, just to keep this thread of Evan's humble beginnings alive.....

Re standing them up or laying them down....
It doesn't matter much, just keep the horn mouths together.  The room/stage may dictate your orientation most of the time anyway.

Re the amp, not a fan of XLS amps on sub duty.  In the "cheap" range I would suggest QSC RMX, or maybe see if you can pick up an old Macrotech or similar.  Cheap switching amps often are less than impressive on sub duty.

DjRudeBwoy

« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2009, 02:29:23 PM »

Jeff Babcock wrote on Wed, 04 November 2009 16:32

OK, I'll bite, just to keep this thread of Evan's humble beginnings alive.....

Re standing them up or laying them down....
It doesn't matter much, just keep the horn mouths together.  The room/stage may dictate your orientation most of the time anyway.

Re the amp, not a fan of XLS amps on sub duty.  In the "cheap" range I would suggest QSC RMX, or maybe see if you can pick up an old Macrotech or similar.  Cheap switching amps often are less than impressive on sub duty.

Thanks, I'll try both configs this weekend - right now it seems like that laying them down, one atop the other is doing good.

I already decided and went with the AP4020 bridged (1200 per box - for DJ work mind you) - thanks.
Stefan Brijlall
GTA Sound Pro DJs
www.gtasound.com

Tim Padrick

« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2009, 02:20:46 AM »

Stefan Brijlall wrote on Tue, 13 October 2009 14:45

IMHO, "kick in the chest" is not what you want to strive for, as that's nothing but 80Hz or higher - I have to pull a lot of 80Hz out of most every system I encounter (then usually crank up the subs a like amount).  If it's right, you'll feel it in your belly.

John Chiara

« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2009, 10:49:38 PM »

Tim Padrick wrote on Mon, 23 November 2009 02:20

Stefan Brijlall wrote on Tue, 13 October 2009 14:45

IMHO, "kick in the chest" is not what you want to strive for, as that's nothing but 80Hz or higher - I have to pull a lot of 80Hz out of most every system I encounter (then usually crank up the subs a like amount).  If it's right, you'll feel it in your belly.

Big time!! Kick in the chest gets tiring very quickly...and usually gets in the way of other instruments...yet I am still amazed(amused)...as long as I can leave or move away..that many mixers think that "impact" makes music more listenable. What I noticed again this week is my dislike of a mix that has it's foundation built on the bass guitar and not the drums....VERY annoying! I usually ask..what if a recording sounded like that...you would HATE it!!

John
"mix is a verb, not a noun" Sooo, as Aunt Bea would say.."Get to it!!!"

John A. Chiara aka. Blind Johnny
Albany Audio Associates Inc.
Troy, NY
518-961-0069 - cell
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 17 queries.