ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 32   Go Down

Author Topic: The Next Shootout  (Read 94360 times)

Elliot Thompson

Re: The Next Shootout
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2006, 11:05:37 AM »

Just my opinion on the matter.

Although I for one would prefer more unique designs to undergo the tests, there are still a lot of users that don’t have the means of transport or real estate to use anything larger than Double Eighteens.  Yes, I agree. From owning a good portion of Double Eighteens they generally sound the same once the numbers start adding up. But, I do remember the Peavey QW 218’s review held in your last shootout, really helped a lot of potential customers looking to purchase subs that couldn’t get a Bassmaxx, or  Sound Physics Design. And if I remember correctly, at the time of the shootout, the QW 218 wasn’t available to the public. So, any manufacture considering to offer something new may find the No-Double 18 invite a problem.

I agree on the amplification and DSP. IMHO a Powersoft  K 10, I Tech 8000 or QSC 9.0 should be the three candidates.  Crown MA 5000, & QSC 6.0 are no longer big amplifiers in the market. On the DSP side, Dolby’s Lake Processor seems to be creating a lot of buzz on the Lab, so it would be great to see one at the event.  Possibly the XTA, or DBX 4800.  

Best Regards,
Elliot

Paul Bell

• http://pbellsound.com/
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2006, 02:01:10 PM »

Hey Elliot,

Agreed, 218 boxes would be in attendance, what I was trying to say is let's not run the same old subs that have been around for ages and that everybody has heard. We'll have a finite amount of time to do all this. If there's a new 218 out there that it's maker thinks is the bomb, lets put it in the lineup.

I can get a 9.0 but being an out of production unit, I'd vote against it. Perhaps somebody can get us an IT8000 or that little K10 thing? OK on the Lake if we can get one but we'll need to be able to quickly reconfigure it via a laptop for the various cabinets needs.

It'll be good to see you again. No lugging a Crest 10000 up & down stairs this time.
Paul Bell
PBell Sound New York City
paulATpbellsound.com
User/provider for:
McCauley, BASSMAXX, APB DynaSonics, QSC, Ashly, DBX, Rane Digital, Rapco, Faital Pro

Ryan Lantzy

• http://www.lhsoundandlight.com
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2006, 08:03:58 PM »

Elliot Thompson wrote on Sun, 22 October 2006 01:35

I would strongly suggest those attending bring music material.
That was actually, one of the weak points (Other than lack of time) from the last Shootout.

We had all the right measuring tools, and, people to calibrate
them, however very limited on music material.

And we call ourselves soundmen.  Laughing

Best Regards,

I will bring my iPod and all 5000 or so songs that are on it.  I can bring whatever CDs I have too, if MP3's are in question.  However, I find them pretty adequate especially in the higher bit rates that I use.
Ryan Lantzy
"In the beginner's mind the possibilities are many, in the expert's mind they are few."

Jonathan_Yacko

« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2006, 08:45:37 PM »

i could bring a Lake unit and possibly a M3D-sub/EM Acoustics Quake and a Powersoft K10 if the dates work out.

Rob Spence

« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2006, 01:01:35 PM »

Would it be usefull to have at least one set of well known subs to start out with so to calibrate things?
I was thinking LA400s or LABs?
Rob Spence
Lynx Audio Services
E-Mail Rob -at- LynxAudioServices -dot- com

Staying out of trouble
  Is easier than
Getting out of trouble

Your local Whirlwind Dealer

Bennett Prescott

• http://www.adraudio.com
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2006, 01:08:50 PM »

I haven't heard the LABs, but I'd like to. I don't know if there's a reference sub we could use... too many people from too many markets! I suspect that with 8-12 subs in a room we will be able to "bubble sort" them quickly in terms of what we like and don't like, irregardless of a "what a sub should sound like" sub.

Maybe Chiara can haul down his Danleys? Very Happy
-- Bennett Prescott
Director of North American Sales
ADRaudio d.o.o.
Cell: (518) 488-7190

"Give me 6dB and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

Raj Sookraj

« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2006, 01:53:12 PM »

I have 4 Labhorns to contribute.  I know it's a "subwoofer shootout" but I would like to see some top speakers there also.  These massive subwoofer systems need something to compliment them.

Douglas R. Allen

• http://-
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2006, 07:04:41 PM »

Would powered subs be welcome?
I have a Yorkville LS800p that I would bring if I could get off from work. Just to see where it stands would be fun.

Kindest Regards
Douglas R. Allen
Allen Audio

"The worst thing is."
"You can't teach common sense."

Elliot Thompson

« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2006, 10:15:24 PM »

Paul Bell wrote on Sun, 22 October 2006 19:01

Hey

It'll be good to see you again. No lugging a Crest 10000 up & down stairs this time.

It was great pleasure meeting you, and I look forward to our next encounter.

Like I mind moving the Crest Laughing  Its was all in good fun. I really wanted to hear how all three amps performed on the Bassmaxx and Sound Physics Subs. So, it was worth the move.

I agree having the QSC 9.0 would be a disadvantage seeing that it is no longer in production. Lets hope someone will offer something equivalent or more powerful so it can be replaced.

My only request (If I may) is to have the return of the Bassmaxx B Zeros.

Those who are considering bringing their subs may find reading the review from Paul’s last Shootout of some use. It's not a blast fest. Its moreover real world measurements opposed to what the spec sheet states. Quality is held in high regard when conducting the listening test. And you’re surrounded by many critical soundmen. The objective is to find the best sounding box, offering  a good frequency response with the least amount of distortion when driven at high SPLs.  

Paul's Subwoofer Shootout 2003

Best Regards,

Elliot

Bennett Prescott

• http://www.adraudio.com
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2006, 10:26:04 PM »

Elliot Thompson wrote on Wed, 25 October 2006 22:15

I agree having the QSC 9.0 would be a disadvantage seeing that it is no longer in production. Lets hope someone will offer something equivalent or more powerful so it can be replaced.

If Road Test still has the K10s they can probably be shipped back from whomever's using them at that point, or I could pick one up from NJ on my way (well, not on my way, but it's not that far out of the way either).

Douglas, I hope powered subs are welcome, or I'm screwed! Laughing
-- Bennett Prescott
Director of North American Sales
ADRaudio d.o.o.
Cell: (518) 488-7190

"Give me 6dB and I shall move the world." -Archimedes
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 32   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 18 queries.