ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Road Worthy Ethernet Cable  (Read 23181 times)

Karl Bader

Re: Road Worthy Ethernet Cable
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2006, 08:57:25 PM »

So a couple of questions...

Is the wire solid or stranded.

How well does it terminate? Can you use standard EZRJ45s or do you need a special connector? Curious for field terminations in an emergency...

Karl

Bennett Prescott

• http://www.adraudio.com
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2006, 12:02:43 AM »

Well, I know that the Rapco cable is stranded because I've used it for other things... I've never tried to terminate it to a normal RJ45, but given that that's what's inside an ethercon jack, I'd imagine it'd have to work. Probably a little bit of a tight fit!

Dave Dermont has the cables right now... maybe if I invoke his name he'll post!
-- Bennett Prescott
Director of North American Sales
ADRaudio d.o.o.
Cell: (518) 488-7190

"Give me 6dB and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

thomas hocking

« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2007, 09:31:16 AM »

You might find the ethernet cable you are looking for at blackbox.com they have alot of industrial ethernet products ranging from switches to cables.

Dan Brown

• http://www.reachcomm.net
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2007, 12:39:57 PM »

Karl Bader wrote on Wed, 06 December 2006 19:57

So a couple of questions...

Is the wire solid or stranded.

How well does it terminate? Can you use standard EZRJ45s or do you need a special connector? Curious for field terminations in an emergency...

Karl

On the Horizon/Rapco cable they come standard under 70ft. with stranded wire and over 70ft. with solid wire.

We however ordered all of our cables with stranded cable and it took a couple more days to make but have had no issues and my cables is all the same and very flexible.

as far as terminating we haven't had any issues with the cable but we did cut a couple of cables to length and had no issues reterminating with stranded crimp on RJ45 connectors.

sincerely,
Dan Brown

thomas hocking

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2007, 08:40:37 AM »

I've worked quite alot with different types of data cables. I can't really see why more people don't go for fibre cables. With copper ethernet you can choose stranded or single core, but there is some difference in signal quality over longer distances, as one would see using for example a fluke meeter.

There are lot of different solutions for fibre, also this is what the army prefers to use. So you're guarantied to find some hardened products. Fibre also has the advantage of not picking up interference from power cables, so you can run them along side the power cables going from foh to stage or power distro. Using fibre you've also optoisolated the sound equipment foh from everything else at the stage.

I know blackbox makes a hardened fibre cable on a reel, we used 2 of them to link 2 data centers togheter over the road from each other while moving from one side of the road to another. http://blackbox.com/Catalog/Detail.aspx?cid=1286,1623,1640&a mp;mid=4948 might be interesting for some of you.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 20 queries.